SOTAData3 (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from SOTAData3 (Part 1) - #100 by VK3ARR.

Previous discussions:

1 Like

Incredible! I always said SOTA had better IT than I use at work and this just tops it off!

The ability to edit an uploaded log is so useful and a much needed upgrade. Yesterday I uploaded a three summit adif (single file) straight from my phone. Later that I noticed that my final QSO on my final summit stated 7 MHz instead of 21 Mhz. It was a summit to summit, to complicate matters. (This was my bad, I tapped on the other Op on vk-port-a-log and it transferred his details to my logging screen.) Still miles from home and a PC, I didnā€™t fancy deleting all three logs, then manually hunting down the summit to summit and deleting that. Then Iā€™d need to edit the entry in VK port-a-log and re-upload.

Didnā€™t have to. Tapped on the log, tapped on the pencil. Fixed it in two clicks, and the S2S log has been updated automatically. :grin:

10/10. Now I just need to work out how I earned the badge, ā€œChased Entire Regionā€. It must have been a small one for me to complete it!

Thank You :blush:

Edit: my chaser log from 4th December 2022 shows a summit to summit with HB9HTM/P, who was on HB/SH-002. A one summit region. If only they were all so easyā€¦

10 Likes

Iā€™ll just add a quick nice work from everyone - weā€™ve blown through our map quota in under two days :rofl:

Iā€™ll try sort it out and get us back on line.

3 Likes

Thank you for the illustration Fraser, it looks like you had a good day yesterday.
I am heading out to do some of the summits on Harris in July and was wondering how I was going to upload logs whilst away from home.
SOTA IT does put a lot of other systems to shame.
Andy
MM7MOX

1 Like

Thanks for the update - Iā€™ve even managed to correct a couple of old logs ( recorded as VLF not 7 MHz - must have been an upload errorā€¦ ) really easily. Correcting S2S is now brilliant. Of course it would be even better if I didnā€™t make a mistake in the first placeā€¦
( For uploading from iOS I am now using HAMRS which seems to work well )
Once again many thanks - the functionality is brilliant, much better than most paid-for systems I have used in the past for workā€¦

3 Likes

I noticed I have ā€œchased entire associationā€ thanks to chasing the single summit on Gibraltar

4 Likes

Yes, you cannot add screen grabs or docs etc. The great advantage is that messages sent this get put into the MTā€™s version of this forum and so everyone on the MT will see there is someone with an issue needing assistance. We can see at a glance whether there are any messages left unanswered and either handle them ourselves or remind our MT colleagues to deal with the input.

1 Like

Question to you , the experts. Why do many of my entries have a Red Box with a dustbin within, have I done something wrong, (again)?

:rofl: The bin is a link to delete the entry, and is available for manually entered logs made under the old system.
For logs uploaded, or manually entered from now on, youā€™ll see a ā€œpencilā€ instead of the bin, indicating that you can edit the log in situā€¦

1 Like

This is very very useful novelty :exclamation:
Many thanks IT colleagues for it :beers:
I edited wrong ā€œotherā€ modes in my logs.
What is statistics update time after log editing ? Does anybody know ?

73, Jarek

1 Like

If it is not instant I would expect after adding or deleting a log the stats should be recalculated.

1 Like

To G4AZS. Many thanks for your very prompt reply. I am not good with Computers and thought I had entered incorrectly. 73, De Paul.

3 Likes

Hi Joe, it was editing, neither deleting nor adding, I will wait patiently of course a few more days and watch the result.

73, Jarek

Wow! The pages are even better than before!

Just one question: The summit pages look to me just as before. How to tag an article? Didnā€™t see this anywhere. And speaking of tags: a ā€œshelterā€ tag would be welcome, so that you know that you can activate this summit also in unfriendly weather. This would mean that there is a tower or hut or something similar in the activation zone.

Keep up the great work!

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

Goto the page for the summit, create a new article (or edit an existing article you created) and then on the next page use the ā€œEdit tag linkā€

But at the moment you need to go to the summit pages via the sotadata.org.uk menu.
https://www.sotadata.org.uk/en/summits

The ā€œoldā€

https://summits.sota.org.uk
still has the ā€œoldā€ summit pages and the tagging is not possible there.
This will be changed by Andrew soon.

The way how it works is that you need to write an article or add a link to be able to place such a tag just as Andy showed.

73 Joe

1 Like

Make sure you take the direct link: https://www.sotadata.org.uk/en/summits

The higher level gives a security warning (at least in MS Edge).

The tagging is neat - I have been adding a comment when a summit is disabled-friendly - in future reports, I can simply add a tag. - this is DL/AM-001 PieƟenberg

I presume there will be a way to select based on tags in the future (or have I missed it) - taking my example - selection of all drive-up or disabled-friendly summits in an area (where the activator has tagged this point in their report).

73 Ed.

1 Like

Yes it will be integrated with the SMP bits eventually.

You can also edit existing articles youā€™ve written to add tags if you donā€™t need/want to create a new article.

2 Likes

Most tags are ā€œActivation Zone can be reached by ā€¦ā€
but with Disability I see
ā€œDisability Friendy (Sumit is accessible to all people, regardless of ability)ā€ (and a few typos: 'Friendy" and ā€˜sumitā€™ :wink:

Iā€™m editing a few tags for ON summits, where the AZ is Disability Friendly, but the real summit is not.
Can this also be made ā€œAZ is Disability Friendy ā€¦ā€?

Luc ON7DQ

1 Like

Yes, I know that, (Thatā€™s what I did in my example of PieƟenberg) but I donā€™t want to have to go through all my article entries to find the note - so Iā€™ll add the tags when I activate such a summit again. A GREAT addition - that will make activation planning for those with disabilities or indeed just those who havenā€™t been to a particular summit before - to get an idea e.g. only 4WD access or whatever.

73 Ed.

1 Like