SOTAData3 (Part 2)

I was surprised and pleased to find that I had achieved a "Lazenby " badge when I reviewed my entry on the database.
Will they be available as merchandise at the shop ?
Andy
MM7MOX

No, but you now have permission to stow a Walther PPK in your backpack. :joy:

7 Likes

I was pleased to see in someoneā€™s screen shot or video clip above that he had earned a Pi badge. I am going to search for a summit with a 314 number just to get one of those. Might have to go to ZL3.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

3 Likes

Iā€™ve played with a PPK but the owner had no ammo so we couldnā€™t shoot it.

2 Likes

Firefox says ā€œError code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAINā€

Chrome complains about a lack of HTTPS even when given an HTTPS URL, so I guess itā€™s just handling the domain mismatch differently.

Is the relevant HTTPS certificate for WWW.sotadata.org.uk (as that seems to not complain).

Only just spotted this entire thread - a big congrats to Andrew VK3ARR and his star testing team for a really great job!

One question - in the screen shot posted by Ed DD5LP of the Tags dialog, what does the term ā€œtrailheadā€ actually mean? Is it a carpark or other point where one starts to walk up to the summit, or the very last part of a trail/track before it disappears and one has to beat through dense brush/forest? - I think the formerā€¦

Rob

2 Likes

Is there an e badge?

An i badge (or j if you are an engineer) will be a challenging one to get.

Trailhead is the term used mostly in the U.S. describing the start of the hike. Can be a carpark, cable-car station, train stop or what ever people typically use to do this summit.
Of course there are summit with very different options from via-ferrata to ā€˜normalā€™ routes.
So the tags will represent options.

73 Joe

2 Likes

Itā€™s probably stale DNS at your upstream network provider. You could see what happens in a private browser window to see if that changes anything but I doubt it if it is DNS. The DNS entry will probably expire some point soon.

2 Likes

It may have been the American Pi which is for activating on 3/14, which is 14th of March for the rest of the world that uses a normal and sane date format.

Certainly will be a hard one to get but there might also be potential in VK4 (if you arenā€™t willing to fly to I or ZS)

3 Likes

Thanks for the kudos - itā€™s a Newtonian shoulder-standing exercise where I get to build on/steal from great software that came before like SMP, sotastars, sotlas, and others but itā€™s nice to finally have it live :slight_smile:

Trailhead is the start of the trail, I have seen it becoming popular as an expression in VK too a bit, so I probably went dialectical there!

3 Likes

Yes, not such a common term in British English, but after Brexit, who cares?

Another thought (I havenā€™t looked ) - is there a tags dialog for antenna opportunities on a summit? You know the kind of thing:

• Plenty of room for big wire antennas
  • Restricted room for wire antennas
  • Room on rocky summit for a vertical
  • Room only for HT
  • etcā€¦

Or tags for the type of ground to be expected ā€¦ and Iā€™m sure others could come up with moreā€¦

Rob

1 Like

I saw someone had a Pi badge when checking a problem report and immediately thought ā€œoooh I want one of thoseā€.

But for me, the best thing about the badges is so far nobody knows what the total set of badges comprises. Unless you can look in the source that is. I could do that but actually the fact I may do an activation and log it and then find a new badge in my stats page is just too cool to spoil by checking the list now.

8 Likes

ā€¦could have Pi Day on 22nd July :wink:

ā€¦and I see ones in my Chaser collection and wonder how few (and which) summits Iā€™d have to activate to get the equivalent in my Activator collection. :wink:

2 Likes

Some such suggestions were made by the team but, not knowing which ones appealed to the developer (vk3arr) we will have to see what badges pop up in the future. A bit like Easter eggs.

We really should have something representing the log of 2, 0.3010 as that is fundamental to power ratios and decibels, which are so universally misrepresented by S meters, so are dear to the hearts of amateurs everywhere.

As for i or j, we know it merely represents a phase shift of 90 degrees, so perhaps summits like *090 would qualify for that badge. The graphic would be the complex number plane with a suitable reactance plotted. 100 +J500 like one of my antennas.

:slight_smile:

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

2 Likes

I have a pi badge - for chasing a -314 summit. :joy:

Melibocus DM/HE-314 - twice

Rod

1 Like

I also have a Pi badge, but short of searching my logs for the date on which it was issued - is there an easier way to find out which summit it was for?

73 Ed.

1 Like

It must have been a summit with the number -314 ā€¦ obviously.
grafik

1 Like

Took me 11 clicks or keypresses

1 Click Chaser Stats
2 Click 2 for second page of badges and read date as 2016-06-21
3 Click More under recent chases
4 Click date dropdown
5 Click 2016
6 Click Show
10 Type 314 into search box and press return, not date we want
11 Click search button again, found date we want

Ta-da!