My 57th and possibly last SOTA birthday celebration (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from My 57th and possibly last SOTA birthday celebration (Part 1) - #100 by HB9FIH.

Previous discussions:

4 Likes

…thank you for continuing the thread so that we can continue to accompany Guru.

Dear Guru - I wish you all the luck and all the best for your new treatment.

I look forward to showing you my home mountains.

73 Armin

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you can beat this and have many more SOTA Birthdays. Maybe I will be able to work you on one. Take care and keep a positive attitude.
Jeff K6QCB

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this news. I wish you the best of luck with the treatment and many, many more birthday activations. As others have said, your strength and stoicism is an inspiration - I will use it to inspire me to remember not to take my own good health for granted and get out and SOTA more! Starting with the 11th, when work permitting I will endeavour to be on a summit.

1 Like

Dear all,
I got my first out of six chemo sessions in this new round in the morning of Tuesday, January 4th. Everything went fine.
I’ve been having horrible moments of back pain several mornings of the last days. My doses of morphine have been increased and with that plus Nolotil, I got quite a good sleep last night and no horrible pain in the morning, although it’s true that I started to have some pains when I was about to start my chemo and the nurse injected me an additional shot of morphine along with the 2 pills I had with a glass of water.
After my chemo I’ve had quite a good day, although I feel well while sitting and I’m still feeling pain in my back and/or abdomen when I’m standing or walking. Let’s see how things evolve in the next few days, but all this story is to let you all know that my activation of EA2/NV-057 on Tuesday the 11th (just 1 week to go) seems unlikely unless things improve by then.
In this delicate condition, I don’t even want to think on a SOLO activation and I’m willing to be accompanied. My good friend and SOTA companion JAP (not a ham) wants to come with me and Ignacio EA2BD too. For this reason, I think the activation will probably be on a weekend day, because my 2 friends have to work during the week. If things improve and I can carry out the hike, I’m thinking on activating towards the weekend, so January 15th or 16th may be a possibility, but it’s still too early for me to know and make any plans.
My last year birthday celebration had a failed attempt in January and it finally happened in April, so there are no reasons for me to force things now on this 57th birthday celebration and I won’t have any problem celebrating it later whenever it will be possible.
I’ll keep you informed of my plans as soon as I know them.

Guru
P.D.

André @F5UKL : je te remercie beaucoup et sincèrement d’une offre si gentil et j’aimerais bien de nous rencontrer enfin avec cet occasion. Le plus probable est que l’activation ne sera pas le 11, mais je te tiendrais au courant aussi que à Alain @F5ODQ au cas où vous serez dispo pour nous accompagner quelque soit le jour du weekend de l’activation. Mon ami JAP est un devote fan et visiteur habituel des plages aux Landes Françaises et je pense qu’il sera enchanté de vous trouver et practiquer la langue de Molière avec vous. À très bientôt, j’espère… 73 QRO.

16 Likes

hello guru thanks for the past qso … take all the time we are waiting for you onair :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Guru,
The last thing you need is pressure to meet a date and you are right to say it can be whenever you are able to do it. I’m sure everyone understands that. So we will all watch patiently for your messages saying when you might carry out this activation. You know you have our thoughts and best wishes.
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

3 Likes

Hi Guru,
As I told you previously, I will be available to accompany you during your activation for your 57 th.
If you want to do it on a summit on the France side of the Pyrénées in PO- you know that there is a room available in my house to receive you and chat around the table as we did previously in Pamplona.
Thanks for our Contact 2 days ago when i was on NV-049.

See you soon Guru

Alain

5 Likes

Hi Guru,

I am not good with words, so just let me say that we are all rooting for you. Keep fighting and don’t give up.

73 Marek

5 Likes

Bonjour Guru
Merci pour le message.
J’aurai proposé à Alain de m’accompagner car je passe à proximité de son QRA.
Nous attendons ton signal.
Cordiales 73 et porte toi bien.
André

2 Likes

Dear Guru

I’m so sorry for you having that much pain and really hope that the treatment you have now started will produce good results and you can go out activating your birthday summit. Of course it is quite understandable that you should not go out on a solo activation right now and postpone it until you will feel better and have your friends accompany you. Maybe we can even have a S2S contact on that day. Until then I have a thought: my work schedule is empty for Tuesday and the summit YO/EC-057 is quite close to my place, so I will go out activating it on 11th (weather permitting), looking for a QSO with you so you can at least chase a #57 summit while waiting to be able to activate one.

Csaba

5 Likes

Thank you very much, Csaba, for your kind message and your proposal to activate a #057 summit for me to chase it on my 57th birthday. I’ll do it with great pleasure if conditions allow.
It’s been raining here all day today and that’s the forecast for tomorrow and Tuesday too, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be chasing from home on my birthday. I hope to be able to chase you on 20m.
The weather forecast towards the weekend is for cold but SUNNY, so it may be possible to activate then, depending on how well I’ll feel.
I got my chemo on Tuesday and it finished on Thursday (after the Tuesday hospital session, I went home with an electropum connected to my veins, as it keeps administrating chemo over the following 46 hours). When the chemo finishes is when I usually have 2-3 lowish days. Friday was not too bad, yesterday was the worse and today is being better. I hope I’ll be fine for the rest of the week until my next chemo on the 18th.
I’ll be looking forward to chasing you at YO/EC-057 on Tuesday.
I’ll inform you all about the possible activation of EA2/SS-057 the weekend 15th-16th.

Guru

5 Likes

Happy birthday for Tuesday Guru :partying_face: :beers: :beers:

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Dear Csaba and dear Guru,

this is a lovely idea.

Can contribute with DM/BW-861 on Tuesday (around 16:30 UTC) if it would fit you.
No need for S2S. Chasing would do…

73s
Ingo

1 Like

Things can always get worse. Now that it looks like I’m leaving behind the after-chemo lowish days, I’ve found this morning that my mother and my son are both positive in Covid-19 after an antigens test. My daughter was also tested because she was presenting very suspicious symptoms, but the result was negative. I’ll repeat the test on her tomorrow or after tomorrow and I’m pretty sure she will be positive…
I’m feeling fine so far with no symptoms but being living and taking care of 2 positive persons plus 1 so far negative but very symptomatic and likely to be positive in the next few days (that why I asked her not to go to school), I fear I will be infected sooner or later. Either infected or not, I’m afraid the joint activation with @EA2BD, @F5ODQ and @F5UKL during the weekend will not be very recommendable…

Guru

3 Likes

There is no ‘dislike’ button.

So I’ll type my reaction here -

:slightly_frowning_face:

Best wishes to your family, take care.

Colin

2 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear this Guru. I hope that you manage to remain free from the virus, particularly important with your health.

I agree totally with Colin - it gets a :frowning_face: from me!

2 Likes

Except my 11 years old son, who has only received 1 shot of the vaccine and is scheduled to receive the second on February 11th, all of us have got the complete vaccination. My 16 years old daughter has got 2 shots and my 85 years old mother has got 3 shots, as well as me. I guess I will sooner or later get infected too, but I hope we will pass Covid-19 in a light easy way…
Thanks for your support.

Guru

3 Likes

Best of luck Guru. If it is any consolation my daughter caught COVID on Christmas Eve and spent Christmas with us, including 8 hours in a car and sharing a house and my wife, myself and my younger daughter escaped infection. Her symptoms were nausia mostly, but apart from that she was ok and has made a full recovery after 7 days with two negative tests.

Regards, Mark

3 Likes

Guru, my fingers are firmly crossed for you!

1 Like