SOTA Summits along the Wainwright Coast to Coast

I’ve just started planning for this coast to coast walking tour to be done next summer. I wondered if someone has done the research of SOTA summits along the way. I enjoy doing the planning, but I don’t want to “reinvent the wheel”. I’ve searched this SOTA reflector but have come up empty.
Alan, NM5S
Santa Fe, NM

1 Like

Are you camping or in hotels…if camping there are a few more options to make the route more SOTA friendly.

For example, at the top of Ennerdale, head across Aeron Slack to Styhead Tarn via Great Gable (sota), then over Esk Hause (detor to Scafell Pike G/LD/001). Then on to Angle Tarn and across to High Raise (sota) before crossing dunmail raise (following the bob graham round route).

After Dunmail raise head up to Grisedale tarn and spend a day doing the four sota summits, i cluding Helvellyn, Seat Sandal, St Sunsay and Fairfield. Then head across to Red screes (sota), stoney cove Pike (sota), High Street(sota) before following the rigde that crosses Nan Bield pass to head to Mosedale Cottage (an upland bothy).

Head acrois to tarn crag, before dropping into Wet Sleddale and on to Shap

That should bag you a few G/LD sota summits . Yiu can also add High Stile at the western end, and Dent is already part of the official route

The above route is something i have done prior to radio days. It doesn’t add much extra time to the walk if camping. Wainwright designed the coast 2 coast so that it drops into a populated valley each afternoon, so as to find a hotel (he hated camping). My suggestion stays higher up for longer, and avoids some of tve zig zagging in Wainwrights route. Only problem is the above route requires around four or five days of ealking without re-supply, but it does cross a couple of bus routes that can be used to get to local towns (and back to the trailhead) at Dunmail Raise and Kirkstone Pass

Wild camping on tbe above route is easy …lots of lovely spots and plenty of water.

East of shap my route knowledge is less good.

Completed the walk 30 yrs ago but happy to share experience. Lots possible with minor detours in G/LD. I seem to remember two less good days - near Shap and then the day crossing the vale of York. Since then I moved 100 miles north and now live nearby. It does include Nine Standards Rigg G/NP-018 and either Kisdon or Rogan’s Seat would only be a small detour and later on Cringle Moor and Urra Moor are either close or nearby.

I think if I was doing it again I would go E to W as finishing in the Lakes would be a grand end to the walk. ( I went W to E which does the big mountains at the start ). Highlight - still the end of Ennerdale camping next to Black Sail youth hostel - spectacular……

1 Like

As Paul mentioned there are two easy summits that you walk over in the North Yorkshire Moors National Park G/TW-002 Drake Howe, Cringle Moor (Lordstones Cafe is also on the route before the ascent) and G/TW-001 Urra Moor, Round Hill. Both of these are usually fairly easy to qualify on 145-fm with a handheld especially if you have alerted before hand. If I am around I can meet you with an amp or hf gear, useful if you are travelling light to ensure qualification! In case you are not aware, the UK 2m band plan is different than that in the US and our calling frequency is 145.500 MHz.

73 & GL
Nick G4OOE

1 Like

Hello Alan
You might find my blog of interest - I did the C2C is 2 sections in 2010. You can read my blog here: Wainwrights Coast to Coast

I activated what I could on the way across the country using 2m FM. Some of the summits I activated in the Lake District indicate the WOTA (Wainwrights On The Air) reference. I’ll go in and edit these to show the SOTA reference, to save you having to look them up. I can thoroughly recommend the walk, it was a great experience.

73 Phil G4OBK

3 Likes

East to West is against the prevailing winds. And if its sunny you may also be walking with the sun in your eyes in the afternoons. And finishing in St Bees with no public transport that I remember is a pain.

Finishing in Robin Hood’s Bay is real handy - especially if you live there like I do. But there’s also regular bus services (every 30mins in summer) out of the village.

When I led commercial paying groups across, I was sometimes asked how I was getting home. I always said I was walking. “Your keen then - how far?” was often the reply. To which I enjoyed saying I lived there!

Alan,
I walked the C2C with my XYL and another couple in 2010. It was a great trip and I wish you as much fun as we had.

We walked W to E. After our first three hiking days we were coming out of the Lake District on a cold, dreary, rain-swept afternoon – in other words, a fairly typical April ramble, as I understand it. We crossed over the last peak before our descent into Grasmere and our lodging.

Just east of the summit we met two gentlemen, as damp as we were despite the Goretex, who were just folding up a Yagi and stowing into a waterproof bag a duo-band HT. What could this be? I introduced myself as a ham and we exchanged call signs - alas, I did not record theirs. They told me they were engaged in an activity in which they transmitted from various peaks. It was all new to me, but intriguing.

It was my first exposure to SOTA. Took a few years after that before I got into the sport myself but now I would love to go back and activate those peaks.

Will you bring an HF rig or stay with 2FM?

Scott, WB8ICQ

Wow! Thank you all for these suggestions and info! My plan is west to east with a service that moves my luggage. It will be a trip organized with Macs Adventure, a trip that only leaves the walking to me.

Happy Holidays and 73,
Alan

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you for responding. I neglected to respond that I’m staying hotels the whole way. This adventure will be quite the civilized trip! I’ll try a few summits right on the way, then maybe a few more after the walk.
Alan

1 Like

Hi Scott,
I will bring HF and maybe a HT too.
Alan

When you come over, give us a shout and the local sota-ists will give you a send off. Abbey farmhouse in St Bees (My QTH) is pretty popular, or at least I see loads of C2C walkers leave there with massive rucksacks from spring onwards. :slight_smile:

Btw St Bees has a train station

3 Likes

Matthew,
I’ve got a couple of more questions as I plan some details of this trip.
I’ll arrive in the early morning Sunday, August 27. I’ll find a hotel somewhat south of the Manchester airport for that night. (The following day, the 28th, I’ll travel to St. Bees then start my walk on the 29th.)
I thought to try to activate two very popular summits south of Manchester: Gun and The Cloud on that Sunday the 27th. Do you think I could hire a driver to drop me at those rural spots for those short hikes? Are Uber or Lyft or other similar services common there? Maybe even hire a guide for the day?
Alan

1 Like

Hello Alan

I would suggest calling a couple of taxi firms to check. I have previously used Davies Taxis in Keswick for long distance rides…I know from chatting to the driver that they often pick up tourists from the US so they will be familiar with requests for giving tours.

This particular taxi firm seem very reliable.

Tom M1EYP is the guy to speak with. He’s the expert in that area of England he may be able to help you out. I live 100+ miles from there so its too far. Tom is a professional musician though, so he may have work on over the period you are near Manchester, but he’s sure to give you some helpful advice either way.

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

If that plan does not work Kinder Scout (SP-001) is close to Manchester and is accessible by public transport. It is also quite a historic hill being the site of the Kinder Trespass which changed access to the land in the UK. It’s also a great hill……

1 Like

Also an alternative, if you are just looking for a couple of quick one pointers on the way to St Bees, Watch Hill and Binsey could be good options.

You will be crossing SOTA summit Dent on your first Coast to Coast day, which is a public holiday here…I might meet you on the summit with some HF gear if that would be okay.

1 Like

As it stands, I’m free that day. If that’s still the case by then (my job means I could be working at a few days’ notice), I’d be happy to collect you and do a day of activating on G/SP-004, G/SP-013 and G/SP-015. Jimmy @M0HGY (G AM) will likely join too as it’s the bank holiday weekend.

If I do get work and have to pull out, then your possible backup plan is Kinder Scout G/SP-001 via public transport as suggested above. Fraser @MM0EFI can maybe advise further as he did a similar such expedition earlier this year.

3 Likes

I took two buses from Manchester airport. The first was an express bus to Stockport. I then walked 200m up the hill and caught a bus to Hayfield and walked from there. Great fun and a lovely walk.

2 Likes

Hi Alan,

I can’t see in the thread any mention of how you intend to get from Manchester to St. Bees. The 130 mile / 2hrs 45mins road journey (from the airport) by taxi could be expensive.

The train company ‘Northern’ runs a regular train service from Manchester airport (via Lancaster) up the Cumbrian west coast including a stop at St. Bees. Glancing at the weekday timetable I see a early-afternoon train takes just under 4 hours (lots of stops but with pretty views) and cheaper.

I have family and relatives who use it to get to and from Manchester airport from our local station.

Andy

3 Likes

Last time I looked for a taxi from MCR to St Bees it was about £300. It was a few years ago mind you.

There’s an enterprise car rental place in Whitehaven so a one way rental might be worth looking into.

Also I’m pretty sure you can get a train from the airport to Barrow in Furness then another to St Bees. Takes about the same time as it does to go that way as it does to go to Carlisle and down. I did the trip to the city centre a couple of months ago and I’m 99% the final stop was the airport.

BTW… As its a bank holiday it’s almost guaranteed to be snowing/hail/typhoon and busy

1 Like