SOTA Summits along the Wainwright Coast to Coast

The train is a good option, you need to change trains ay Barrow in Furness, but its a simple change (its a small station) and is a well used connection.

Departures from Manchester Airport at 0936 and 1033 arrive st bees at 1324 and 1416 respectively. There are several trains later in the day also via Barrow.

This is a very scenic rail line after the first 50 miles, so quite enjoyable.

Using this route you can hop off the train at Arnside Station and activate Arnside Knott, or perhaps try Black Combe by alighting at Silecroft.

Black Combe would be my choice as the adjacent station of Silecroft comes after the connection in Barrow, so the onward journey to St Bees will be easier.

There is a pub in Silecroft that may well look after you luggage while you walk up the hill, if you buy a pint.

1 Like

An easy 40-minute stroll - about a mile - from the station to the summit of G/LD-058, the smallest SOTA summit in England at 159m ASL. Afterwards, lots of good cafes and pubs - and very popular fish & chip shop - in Arnside if catching a later train to St. Bees.

(c) 2023 Crown Copyright - Ordnance Survey

There are many local chasers on 2m FM if you alert ahead of time and despite being fairly wooded, there’s room for a HF wire antenna. I’ve worked N. America on CW from there.

During the final covid lockdown I walked there (from home in a nearby village) to activate it.

1 Like

Andy, thank you! This is certainly a detail I hadn’t thought through, just assumed a train trip. Those details are great!

1 Like

Cumbria (which contains the Lake District) is a magical county. Once the train crosses the county line the trip turns into an adventure.

1 Like

In the smallest of trains Andy. :rofl:

2 carriages maximum please. Windows open whatever the weather.

Its going to be a reasonable walk from the station to Black Coombe @m0mzb could even use L’al ratty to get to Boot and do Harter Fell but that might be pushing it

Its 6.4km (4 miles) and 656m of ascent (presumably including some downhills as Black Combe is 600m elevation)…so yes, perhaps a bit of a lengthy walk for someone embarking on the coast to coast the following day.

1 Like

I chased Alan on his last summit G/TW-001 and met him for a drink when he arrived in Robin Hood’s Bay on Wednesday.

We’d previously corresponded regarding onward travel from the village - I live there - so it was a pleasure meeting up. Not often you get a chance to give some one a QSL card in person.
He’s been a ham since 1964 so like me he’s no spring chicken and still hill fit.