SOTA dogs on summits part 2 (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from SOTA dogs on summits part 2 (Part 1) - #103 by EA5INS.

Previous discussions:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, today Cuca (4 months old) comes with me to her first Sota activation.

First 5 minutes of activity:

Last time of activity…:

36 Likes

They don’t look like they’re having much fun while they wait for us to finish…

19 Likes

My SOTA dog ALEX is retired already, now he prefers more home comfort :wink:

73, Jarek

17 Likes

Jess with me on Minch Moor GM/SS-133. Jess is a time-share dog, she spends half the week with my son at his house and half a week with me and Mrs. FMF. She’s a Whippet / Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross and came from a dog rescue centre. She’s about 8 or 9 now, the rescue were not sure if she was 1 or 2 when they received her.

I don’t take her on SOTA activations because she’s part sight-hound with a strong prey-drive. If I am activating I can’t keep her secure and safe from running off after anything that takes her fancy. I took her as I was meeting Tom M1EYP and Jimmy M0HGY at the summit and would be able to keep her entertained. Of course I forgot neither Tom nor Jimmy are keen dog people but Jess behaved impeccably.

Having a snack.

Looking to see if there were any more snacks.

Explaining how much she enjoyed her snack and was I sure there was no more.

21 Likes

Adorable! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is Shadow, a working Cocker Spaniel and a fantastic hill companion.

His favourite pastime is to sit on my radio as its warm, far warmer than the insulated mat provided… especially while muddy and wet…

11 Likes

Well since we’re doing pics of tired / bored sota dogs …

Pip. Off a farm - ex-heading dog (failed).

Currently used as a tracking dog (kept in-behind when I put out trap/bait lines, then leads me when I re-walk them, removing the need to tie up kilometers of flagging tape to mark my lines).

Seems to have a good nose on her so may try to get her indicating something useful work-wise.

But likes there-and-back SOTA walks as she can lead on the way out and feel useful.

11 Likes

11 Likes

Can I ask what radio that is, please?

73 Denis MW0CBC

Hi Denis,
it is a homemade 40 and 20 meter transceiver, inside a Czech military radio RF-10 casing.

CT2JLS

This isn’t making living without my loopy border collie any easier, even after a few years. A dog has got to be the best companion ever on a day in the hills. Every time I set foot in the hills I miss her company….and the free pull uphill from a tight lead😂

6 Likes

Thank you. I thought it mihgt have been a mil radio.

Denis MW0CBC

1 Like

Whipper at 6 years old styling the 12000+ foot Mount Metcalf, Montana.
2021 K9ROB

14 Likes

Our first dog Baron passed away on February 15th 2023. Baron earned mountain goat status accompanying us on SOTA activations. Sabina S53YL has now new guide dog Zen. Zen is already a SOTA dog and I hope he will also earn mountain goat status with us.

73, Milos S57D

13 Likes

While I’m working on the radio, my two occasionally get some of their own work done :rofl:

7 Likes

S2S :joy:

3 Likes

Very closely coupled :grin:

1 Like

How old is he? He looks like if he was the brother of my Juri!

1 Like

My two knuckleheads “helping” today.

73, Bill N6MTB

9 Likes