Shalloch on Minnoch GM/SS-042

Quite feasible, its a Scottish grade I, nothing but steep snow but it may be necessary to tunnel the cornice at the top. Quite an attractive idea in this heatwave!

Brian

Did it years ago. Usually better to go left at the top toward the summit - less chance of corniceā€¦

Oh dear, off topic again!

Great pic. It reminds me I havenā€™t been to Scotland walking since I did the West highland way back in 2003! Need to get back there, with radio this time.

Ooooh thatā€™s handy! Thanks Andy :smiley:

73 de Paul G4MD

Hmmm, that canā€™t be right. It only shows I have 29 out of 29 summits for G/NP, whereas I have activated 31 different summits in that region. :wink:

How many NP summits are valid today? A. 29
How many of the valid NP summits have you activated? A. 29

And that is what it tells you. It cannot consider previous summits now deleted because someone starting SOTA today cannot activate a summit no longer valid. If it did then some newcomers would never be able to get 100%.

See itā€™s not rocket science.

Ooooā€¦ you do bite! Didnā€™t you spot the :wink: ? As if I needed it explaining - would be nice though to have 106.9% of available summits recorded. :slight_smile:

Yes. I know you know but there will be people new to all this nonsense who may not be aware that the summit lists do change over time. Iā€™m just trying to head off all the ā€œwhy canā€™t I get 100%ā€ emails now!

Interesting that SSā€™s west of Ailsa Craig donā€™t appear to be on anybodyā€™s to do list :wink:

(Except mine perhaps!)

You have to drive North of the line to get to themā€¦ they donā€™t count for that reason! :blush:

Iā€™m looking forward to being the (equal) first to activate 101.5% of the GI summits next year.

Only Bill G4WSB and Fred GI4MWA will ever be able to emulate that :wink:

Unless you go via Arran :wink:

Or I edit my quote in your reply!

Point taken. Itā€™s my over-active joke mode coming in to play! Probably because I havenā€™t yet got the next outing planned. :frowning:

I agree with Andyā€™s assessment. Even the Dunoon - Gourock ferry is further north than the centres of both Glasgow and Edinburgh. Going via GM/SI could be considered cheating. Why complicate matters? :wink:

ISTR thereā€™s much Windfarm nonsense taking place on one of those summits that makes access less simple. And the other one I clearly remember I havenā€™t bagged down there is The Slate. Iā€™ll leave Neil to comment on that one!

I take it you are talking about Beinn an Tuirc GM/SS-193. There is planning for phase3 for the wind farm but I donā€™t know if it has been passed as yet. When I activate SS-193 two years ago I walked right through the construction site, only one guy in a 4x4 stopped and and advised me to be careful as there was a tele-handler or zoom boom operating at the compound which has to be passed on the way to the summit. He wished me a good day and carried on his merry way. Everyone else just waved! Plus you get a road nearly all the way to the summit.
The extension is planned for the east side of GM/SS-226 Sgreadan Hill and uses the same access road from the west. I see no real problem in accessing both summits. Having a mountain bike would help to activate both in the same day.

The Slate, a gem of a hill! Andy you should have just activated it at the same time as Cnoc Moy since you saved yourself about 3km walking by driving up to Glenahanty or was it Largiebaan which is even more saved. The route for the two is best done clock wise as the drop down to the north is greater than the climb back up. The traverse across Creag nan Cuilean is a tad boggy and I presume even in this dry spell. (Only rained here once since Gerald and Paul went home ;)) The route back down from The Slate is through a very wide forest break and follow the burn out to the road.

The whole of the Kintyre and Knapdale summits can be conquered in 4 or 5 days if planned well enough.

Paul G4MD, you will love the summits on Kintyre thereā€™s loads of ticks - or should that be the ticks on these summits will love you!

Indeed! I decided to skip it as it didnā€™t have a trigpoint and the WAB boys had made me so welcome on Beinn na Lice and Cnoc Moy, I wanted to do more trigs. Beinn Ghuilean does have a trig but not in the AZ so the plan was Beinn Ghulian for SOTA then WAB. But the WX was not that conducive for a double activation. Still it gives me a good target for the return visit. As for the others and a bike etc. well Iā€™m taking my bike for a whole host of updates tomorrow. Itā€™s 19years old and whilst the frame is good the wheels are shot, the gears are shot, the brakes are shot and the shifters are duff. So new wheels, chainset, shifters, suspension forks and a panier. I put off the upgrade as it wouldnā€™t fit in my car. But now I can transport it about, having the ability to cover some ground quicker will be useful.

The nice man who let me drive to Glenahanty did say I was welcome to drive anywhere on his estate whenever I wanted so I can get back to Glenahanty anytime. But I think Iā€™ll do The Slate from Ballygroggan and The Kintyre Way. Iā€™ll bring flippers just in case.

Paul will love Kintyre as he appears to be a tick magnet! Gerald should take note.

Well I pick a reasonably vertical section of the hillside to activate from in the hope that such spots deter deer from sitting down. Mind you having said that, we chose similar positions on Tom nam Fitheach GM/SI-167 and whereas Paul had several visitations, I saw none. Maybe my aftershave does the trickā€¦ of course Paul has a full beard. :wink:

As for the summits you mention, Paul and I did plan a Mull of Kintyre outing a few years ago before the summits were activated, but decided to bag the Islay summits instead as they were a little more charismatic. I see that at this point in time we are the only ones to have activated the trio in the middle of the island (SI-072, 077 and 099). I donā€™t recall any ticks on Islay, but maybe we were a wee bit early for them.

The first time I used the bike for Beinn an Tuirc I had activated Sgreadan Hill in the afternoon and and then cycled/walked up to Tuirc to scout it out. That was when I discovered that my head torch was pants while going down a gravel road with deep ditches either side at 30+mph in the pitch dark. Got a far better head torch after that.

Cycling to do these 2 summits will make a big difference time wise and unless the sheep have learnt how to go a bike it should be safe to leave it somewhere. You can see the road from Tuirc anyway.

Who burst that bubble?? :grinning: