Refreshments up the summits

Hi all,

I have just ordered a new Flask for hot drinks while activating, we have always had a flask with hot water in and then either Tetley Teabags(other teabags are available) or OXO Cubes. Once on our first activation of Cadair Berwyn, we had a full Indian buffet (kindly carried by Elaine my XYL) the flask had Mulligatawny Soup in it that day!

My Question is what do others take up to keep refreshed apart from the important H2O??

8 Likes

Just water for me, however when Mo is with me, there is always a flask of hot water for tea, no matter the weather.

I sometimes just carry an empty water bottle if I know there are water sources on the hill.

6 Likes

Just a few cereal bars - preferably chocolate covered! Max energy for minimum weight :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For liquids just water on warm days. In winter I reduce my water and take a thermos flask of coffee.
I also need to eat frequently, so if a long activation a packed lunch, otherwise a banana and energy bars or a muffin/scone, etc.

3 Likes

Hi Tony,

As you may know, when me and my dad Tom M1EYP activate SOTA summits, we usually take a flask of soup with us and we have done for many years and we’ve experience loads of different flavours of soup as a result. The first ever time we took a flask of soup up a SOTA summit was back in November 2003 which was 2 years before I was even licenced, the soup on that very day happened to Mulligatawny which has always remained of one of our favourite soups to take up a SOTA summit in a flask.

Jimmy M0HGY

4 Likes

Nice Jimmy, Always try to put what food we had on our activation reports just for you and your dads information. Its all part of the fun!:grinning::clap:

2 Likes

Hot water or the means to make some for that all important tea and a small plastic container full of dried fruit (dates, figs and/or apricots) and nuts / almonds.

2 Likes

One word: C H O C O L A T E

10 Likes

Simply hot (boiled) water in a flask and cold water in a bottle. Keep it simple.

3 Likes

Usually have a coffee before I leave the vehicle with egg and bacon sanger. Drink water on the hike a Nut bar on arrival and an apple for on the way down with remainder of my water.

1 Like

Home baked bread, solid frozen, 4 slices, two with cheese, two with jam. By the time I get to the top they’re thawed and just right.

2 liters of solid frozen water, 0.6 liter cooled water. By the time I get down usually every drop has been consumed. Sunday’s hike featured temps as high as 33 degrees Celsius.

6 Likes

I always take a small bottle of water and usually a couple of sandwiches except when the summit has a “gaststatte” on it (or near to the start / along the hill walk to the summit) then a nice cold weissbier in summer or Hungarian Goulash soup in winter after an activation, can’t be beaten in my book!
73 Ed DD5LP.

2 Likes

My flask of tea is the heaviest thing in my rucksack. Though it’s much lighter on the descent. Tetley tea of course.
Also Natalie sometimes takes a small flask of hot water and some Latte sachets so we can have a posh drink on the Summit.

73 Chris M0RSF

1 Like

A Camelbak Forge Stainless steel Vacuum insulated bottle like Camelbak)
Sometimes a bottle of water depending on which one I am going up
Chocolate.

1 Like

My trusty Thermos flask has accompanied me on dozens of Munros, Corbetts, Grahams, LDs and Pennines, despite the weight penalty. Only ever used for coffee, though. Water in a bottle or Platypus, too. However, as I am now permanently on a low carb diet, I do miss food combinations of sandwiches, crisps, nuts, sweets etc. A thread on preferred (and often bizarre) sandwich fillings alone would probably soon reach the 100 posts limit, methinks … :rofl:

2 Likes

:scream:

Tetley?

3 Likes

In the winter - Nothing
In Summer - 1 or 2 small bottles of water

3 Likes

Let’s have a proper brew. It has to be Yorkshire Tea. None of that peely-wally southern rubbish.

3 Likes

Most of my North Asian activations end up with summit beers:

2 Likes

I tend to just grab a sandwich on the summit. I set the rig to repeating a CQ and when there isn’t a pile up I take a bite. This is obviously the cue for several calls and an element of chaos with the pencil and the half eaten sandwich both needing to be out of the range of Woody and the logbook and microphone usually now in hiding!
I have a Jetboil Stove which has a coffee filter arrangement, so the treat is usually back at the car - a proper cup of coffee and a piece of cake. Paul

5 Likes