Refreshments up the summits

No Pocari Sweat?

2 Likes

The day after drinking perhaps

4 Likes

I only treat myself to a bottle if the hike has been arduous, like last Sunday. First have to find a 7-11, though.

1 Like

More often than not, I will go to the summit straight after work…
Not so bad if it’s only a short walk, but cooling off a little by the time I’ve reached the trig on G/SP-001 Kinder Scout. usually wrapped in bubble wrap to keep it warm.
(Photo is my usual summit of G/CE-004 Bardon Hill)

7 Likes

In winter time: Flask of hot tea [Tetley]
Any other time: 1L water [S.Pellegrino]
Either of the above is ALWAYS accompanied by a:

If my son is with me, then he becomes the bearer of a decent picnic for us both!

73, Lea M0XPO

5 Likes

Ok this is lunch box from my last activation. TBH it was leftovers from previous day take away. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t expect to repeat this treat too soon, but you never know.

73 Marek

6 Likes

Looks good to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After much experimentation, and a couple of consumer taste panels on joint activations, I have settled on Welsh cakes and a flask of tea. I have tried Eccles cakes which are good, but spread crumbes everywhere. Chorley cakes, a flies cemetry much like an Eccles cake but with short crust pastry instead of puff pastry, are an improvement but still create a lot of crumbs. @MM0EFI Fraser’s video recommendation of Soreen is crumb free and clearly has it’s place, but only really as a cold weather option for me. I have previously held a rather disdainful view of flask tea but it is very convenients and can be suprisingly palletable providing that you only add the bare minimum of milk.
My activations tend to involve an hour or so on each summit working several bands, often with a shelter. Your mileage may vary.
Kevin

2 Likes

Taking a bite of sandwich does appear to be a great way of conjuring up a pile up from a previously silent radio.

6 Likes

How true, How True !!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Drink: Walter

Food: banana, cereals bars and a bag with nuts

1 Like

Sorry Colin, it’s my favourite. I know what brand it should be though.

73 Chris M0RSF

1 Like

Apart from being the name of my world-famous & now deceased dog e.g., eg2, (or my version of the tale) - what’s an LD?

1 Like

Apologies for causing confusion. LD = Lake District in North-West England. (Note to self - avoid unnecessary abbreviations in future :woozy_face:) 73.

2 Likes

Water … lucozade … and plenty of chocolate!! :blush: although after activating with and reading @MW0KXN Kevins reports, I’m partial to a pack of Welsh cakes now as well :+1:

73, GW4BML. Ben

3 Likes

Prior to my heart attack I used to have issues with eating and exercising as digesting food requires blood flow, as indeed do the muscles… with a poor blood flow this produced an instant conflict! I therefore used to limit my food input to a couple of cereal type bars at the summit. Drink was and is always just water. Now I am “fixed” I can eat before an ascent, but old habits die hard. I usually only take sandwiches for the S2S events when I will be on the summit for several hours - that is if I don’t leave them in the fridge. :joy:

2 Likes

Wow, thanks to all for your replies to date, A good mixture of refreshments seems to be the main. I am pleased that Tetley tea (other tea is available) plays a big part in a few activators trips.

Thank you all for the various menus and well done that most do take some sustenance when heading out upwards

73 Tony

As much as I would love a cold beer at the summit I tend to activate between about 0930-1300 local time so that’s at least 3 hours before beer time for this guy. I get a bit too drowsy otherwise…must be my age showing.

2 Likes

…. My family is often suprised by the car keys in the fridge with the sandwiches…following similar errors…

5 Likes

That’s an amazing feat. Car keys and fridge would never come together in my world. :joy:

I usually get a text en route from the XYL telling me that I will enjoy my sandwiches when I get back to base. I always take cereal bars and the odd choc bar, so it’s never an issue. I would never go up a hill without food and water in case I had an accident and had to await rescue. Long gone is the time when I carried Kendal Mint Cake in my pack as I threw away much more than I ever ate.

2 Likes