Japan and Korea activations 17/18/19 June

Having found a cheap routing into Korea via Japan that allows me to indulge in some SOTA prior to a work trip, I’ll be activating two JA associations on Friday and Saturday, and following it up with HL on Sunday.

I’ve posted alerts for Japan, where I’ll be activating as JI1GBE, and for Seoul where I’m licensed as HL1ZIH. I’m particularly looking for DX on Friday and Sunday; I suspect the Saturday activation will be too tight for HF antennas, so will be 6m/2m/70cm only. VOACAP suggests NA and EU might be possible on 20m and 17m CW and I will pack the key.

For any of the JA folks around on the Friday evening, we’ll be having a SOTA dinner in Akihabara - Toru has the details!

Looking forward to working as many folks as possible, and activating associations 16 and 17 if all goes to plan!

Cheers,
Andrew
VK3ARR / JI1GBE / HL1ZIH

1 Like

Just bumping this up again, should be qrv in about 4 hours for first activation

Tks, will listen out for you. Rainy morning here.

Cheers, Nick

First activation went well. Mostly JA stations, plus 1 vk and 1 zl. Eating ramen at Fukuoka airport awaiting flight back to Tokyo :ramen:

No luck my end. 14.280 seemed to be occupied by a middle eastern station working the US. Has one contact Paul, in VK5. Much more noise than usually experienced at Ainslie. Good luck with the next ones.
Andrew VK1MBE

Same here I’m afraid despite a lot of listening. The voices on 280 must have been the ones MBE Andrew heard as well.

Propagation was not with us.:disappointed::disappointed:

Better luck with the next ones.

Cheers

7 contacts on IB-003 this morning on 6m.
Time now for lunch:

2 Likes

See you in Seoul tomorrow.

You know, you could have taken the ferry from Fukuoka to Busan, and then the KTX to Seoul. Maybe next time.

Andrew
HL5ZBA

Heard you S2S with JH1IHV/1 on 6m. I did the QSO with him on 50.230 and saw your spot on 50.240. Somehow it was too faint to be workable though. Maybe next time. Hope you had a good time in JA and that HL will treat you well too.

Arnaud
JG1XMV

Hi Arnaud,

A pity we could not work, and missed you at the SOTA gathering at Akihabara. Hopefully next time I come to North Asia! We had limited time on IB-003, so I kept the activation to about 30 minutes.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like

Good to know your IB-003 activation has been done. I was on my bed Saturday morning…

See you soon mate.

2 Likes

We all look surprisingly sober there :smiley:

L-R: Nobi Hyakutake JA1JCF, Toru Kawauchi JH0CJH, Jun Hirai JI1IHV, Minoru Tomobe JL1NIE, Takeshi Abe JG1GPY, Andrew Ryan JI1GBE / VK3ARR, Junichi Sasai JI1TLL, Takeshi Saiki JS1UEH

My first blog post for JA6/FO-042 is up now at: JA6/FO-042 Oogusukuyama 大城山 | VK3ARR's SOTA Blog

1 Like

Yes, we are always tidy…:wink:

to all, photo has been taken “before drunk”.

toru k

1 Like

Mmm… looks like beer and shabu-shabu… a fine recipe for a good time!

73 Marc G0AZS

Too bad Andrew, maybe next time. I have to admit that I am not much of a drinker but somehow when I go hiking with my friend Thierry (F4EGG), we always end-up with quite a few bottles of white beer at the summit. :slight_smile: Anyway, it looks like you add a good time. The good news is that I have spent some time on the other topic we’ve been working on together offline and you should have an email with some updates that hopefully will allow you to move forward.

Arnaud

I have updated my blog with activation reports from the last two of these activations:

Cheers,
Andrew