Other Hobbies (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Other Hobbies (Part 1) - #100 by KT5X.

Previous discussions:

The new thread generation is clever. But it would be cleverer if we could reply to threads in the first part as well, with everything appearing on this thread. At the moment all entries in the first part are closed. :slight_smile:

Yes I tried quoting one of the items in the first thread and it didnā€™t offer to post the reply to this thread, instead it offered the option of starting a new topic.

Iā€™m not sure the 100 post limit works as perhaps intended. I recall it being introduced when a topic was expanding to take over the universe. This system doesnā€™t stop that, the universe can be reached 100 posts at a time without any limits.

Perhaps there is an administrator input when creating a second topic from the firstā€¦ but in that case, it is just making work.

Fwiwā€¦

1 Like

The follow on creation is fully automatic. There arenā€™t that many that expand beyond 100 TBH.

1 Like

ā€¦ is there a way to link to a message in an earlier set?

1 Like

What like this?

1. Go and find the post you want to link to
  2. Click the three dots icon to the left of the ā€œreplyā€ button
  3. Click the chain link icon, the first to the right of the heart (like) icon.
  4. A dialogue box appears with a URL for the post in itā€¦click the clipboard icon on the right. The link is now on your clipboard.
  5. Click the X to close the dialog.
  6. Go to where you want to post the link and click reply (or new topic)
  7. Ctrl-V will paste the link into your reply.
3 Likes

Or a simple cut and paste

What like this?
[/quote]

Or quote the whole post and delete part:

1. Go to where you want to post the link and click reply (or new topic)
  2. Ctrl-V will paste the link into your reply.
    [/quote]

EL

1 Like

Or just post a picture or two of some of your books :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks Andy, this works in a similar way.

73, DIZ

I dont really have much time for hobbies but,

Amateur Radio - Obvious really
Learning German using Duolingo - Got to GCSE level in high school years ago and thought Id give it another go.

Repairing old transistor radio and selling them on ebay. Started during COVID lock down, still learning!

I used to a lot of rock climbing back when I was at Uni but stopped as I was working all the time. My Niece visited a climbing wall recently and found out I used to go rock climbing, so It looks like Im going to have to dust off the climbing shoes. Looks like thats another hobby Im going to be doing!

1 Like

As others have also observed - work and hobbies for me blur & merge.

Conservation / wildlife management is a passion, and at times a job (like now).

Tramping / hiking is what keeps me alive, and - covering 20km+/day most days on conservation work combines it nicely with work. Likewise SOTA sometimes gets combined if my work lines take me over a SOTA summit and thereā€™s room in the pack for radio gear. Recreational tramping often includes packrafting - turning those aquatic barriers into highways. And the kayak is good for access to tramps or summit beyond our many lakes.

I play at being a coder - but mainly only out of frustration that no-one else has developed the website / package / driver that I want.

Iā€™m originally a telecomā€™s engineer. Sometimes I still work as a software or telecomā€™s tester. Sometimes I work on field trials of conservation products / technologies.

And in my free time I do whichever of those Iā€™m not being paid to do - either for my own amusement or as a volunteer.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a few old ā€˜rock jocksā€™ on here Dom. Iā€™m one also. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Its been 10 years since Ive climbed. For the 4 years i was at Uni myself and a friend were out nearly every Sunday climbing. We really pushed our climbing grades too! I think we got up to Severe 4 grades. Didnt do much sport climbing, rather do the trad stuff. Unfortunately I got a job working nights and couldnt get the time to climb

3 Likes