Other Hobbies (Part 1)

I’m short of other hobbies too when I’m confronted about thinking about it! Your post made me feel a bit better.

Amateur radio has been my major hobby since my late teens, I don’t operate much and never had an operating position, alrhough I’ve had a shack for the last 4 years. My main activity is building QRP rigs.

Due to my own doings and circumstances, I’ve never had much spare money, so I haven’t been able to persue interests that I otherwise might have done. I don’t have regrets though, I don’t feel like I’ve ever ‘blown’ any money, and I suppose I’ve done quite a few things.

In my teens I helped my step father to restore a 1955 Albion lorry and that lorry held my interest constantly until it was sold a few years ago.

I drove the lorry in the 2017 Trans Pennine Run, it was an awesome day, I specially selected that particular event as it was 21 years since the lorry had been put back on the road, it’s 21st (re) birthday!

I’d learnt my driving skills in a 1933 Standard van that I owned in my early 20’s before I had to sell it to raise cash for moving into my own home.

I took over driving a little 1950s green Bedford van until that was sold and was exported to Northern Ireland.

The last vehicle that I was able to show was a 1989 VW Polo.

I’d dearly love to have a classic car, especially something from the 1930s.

I used to follow Formula 1 and I attended several British GPs. These days I’ve drifted away from F1, without the screaming V10s, F1 is not the same.

I watch drag racing on YouTube now, I enjoy learning about the modern tech that they use to get a few thousand horsepower out of a pretty standard V8.

Colin

12 Likes

I used to have a Nikon F1. It didn’t need any batteries, was built like a tank and survived being dropped on a ski slope and it rolling a good distance! :grinning:

2 Likes

Totally agree… the vibrations through the chest were also quite amusing. I made the mistake of attending my first few GPs (Silverstone, Monaco & Monza) and not wearing any ear protection so I’ve convinced myself that the tinnitus in my right ear is due to this.

1 Like

Michael

Do post a video. It must be essential viewing for me - even if you don’t take a tumble.
Dave

David, with any luck, plenty of time left; I did not even start SOTA 'til 75 years old (9 years ago).
Ken

3 Likes

I loved the bangs during the downshifts as the engine suddenly became unloaded when heading to the corners.

My first time at Silverstone was with another radio ham that I knew, he had been camping at the Grand Prix for years, so I tagged along. We camped in a field at the edge of the circuit. I remember waking up to the sound of a V10 F1 engine being warmed up, it was early morning! The sound was awesome! Blip, blip, blip, hold, blip, blip, blip, hold etc. I think the engine tolerances are so tight that nothing fits when the engine is cold. The engine blocks are pre-heated with an external hot water pump before being fired up. Ah, those were the days!

2 Likes

A lot of better bangs (and flames) came from assorted turbocharger anti-lag systems. You need high engine revs and thus lots of exhaust gas to spin the turbo fast so it can provide lots of intake boost. But when you lift off and change up the engine revs drop and turbo boost drops till revs start climbing “enough”. Anti-lag systems did all sorts of magic but essentially kill the ignition and just put unburnt fuel into the exhaust manifolds. That would burn causing exhaust gas to keep the turbos spinning a bit like a gas turbine engine. Combined with a paddle shift gearbox you could floor the throttle and pull the up paddle, the spark stopped for a few hundred millisecs whilst the gearbox shifted so the engine didn’t over-rev and then enjoy the noise and fireworks from behind.

Modern high performance cars do that now. Audi DSG gearboxes (pre-selected dual clutch) can change gear in 100ms or so and the hot ones (Audi S or RS) engines produce very satisfying pops and bangs with the anti-lag. Lots of other makes do the same. Plenty examples of this on YouTube.

V10s do have that fabulous uneven firing sound but I think Audi’s hot 5 cylinder is a better sound such as the original rally Quattro or the subsequent shorter wheelbase model. Today the RS3 or TTRS with the 2.5L 5pot engine and DSG sounds wonderful.

1 Like

Yeah, the rally anti-lag systems are a different noise again, and are equally enjoyable.

Nothing beats the 20,000rpm BMW V10 F1 engine for me though!

Let us hope so.
David
Old cloth ears
G0EVV

I’ve often fancied an older classic vehicle. Mainly for the lack of depreciation.

1 Like

Jim - I use our sewing machine too, although my wife is probably better at me using it!!.

1 Like

Main Hobby is Amateur radio, I love cw/ssb contests, especially on 160m (CQWW 160, CQWW, Stew Perry) and for 5 years I’ve been very connected to SOTA/GMA summiting, there you can enjoy nature, go on long hikes and keep fit… you often feel like a little boy, especially when the weather is crazy - boy scouts say hello! But when the weather is nice, anyone can… .
I collect minerals and you often find some there, I live in the Ore mountains/Erzgebirge/Vogtland!.. you can find a few specimens/pictures from our finds (my daughter Nele do7cx and me) here: ::::: Vogtland  ::::: and then I have new finds I work in my small chemical laboratory to to analyze these found minerals… often using methods that are 150 years old… but that would “beyond the scope” here.
A year ago I also started finding birds with the birdnet app… a nice sideline… . Life is only half as good without a hobby! 73/44 Olaf dl7cx/ok8cx
p.s. shown below is a almost 100 year old chemical kit… Kosmos

4 Likes

I finally found a way of enjoying astronomy that fits my lifestyle. I have a Global Meteor Network camera on the side of my house watching the night sky, and I can review what it’s caught in the morning. The system also submits its observations automatically, even if I don’t review them, and aggregated observations are used to compute orbits etc… Here’s a stack of one particularly crazy night’s observations during the Geminids last December:

There were 240 Geminids and quite a few other meteors seen by my camera that night.

6 Likes

When asked for my hobbies, the reply in most cases is „F & F“ in German: „Funken und Festungen“. The one is amateur radio i.e. Summits on the Air, so no surprise. The other „F“ is recent fortifications from the last century, especially here in Switzerland. Some say that the country makes not only cheese but is also one big cheese, from the Lake Geneva to the Lake of Constance. A nice myth! But the holes in the cheese are never far and can frequently be met on SOTA tours. The base for this hobby around military history arose in military service as I was trained to operate the guns back in the eighties. Being curious and follow traces outdoors has remained after leaving that service. Nowadays, these fortifications are part of the national heritage, and there are museums in some of them, see www.fort.ch (en) . For about twenty years there was much activity to see the sites together with military historians and engineers after the shut-down. This has subided now, so SOTA jumped in and has filled the gap completely. There are other side hobbies, but not to the extent of „F & F“!

73, Markus HB9DIZ

4 Likes

This has nothing to do with cheapskates…

I once wanted to have an awning for my small caravan (Rapido Club 40 TCA)… there was nothing suitable. So I sewed myself one. On that occasion I came to love old sewing machines. In the meantime, I have made many afloat again and passed them on. My favorites are the ones that don’t have plastic gears… they are really sturdy.

My favorite is the Bernina KL117… but the Pfaff ones are great too. I’ve had ones from the 130, 330 and 360 series - great machines… they run really smooth.

You can sew things with them that you would need an industrial machine for today.

73 Armin

4 Likes

I love the photos Colin. The Albion is a beauty.

I can heartily recommend a visit to Santa Pod raceway. Nothing can prepare you for the assult on your senses that is a top fueller heading up the ¼ mile!!

2 Likes

I sew sometimes too, I’m the mender in our household. I don’t sew often but I occasionally do a cross stitch for fun or mend clothes. I made my own bothy bag a few years ago.

This was a cross stitch card that I did for my wife’s sister.

I agree about old sewing machines, I had a modern plastic one and it was horrible to use, I was then given an old fashioned metal ‘Jones’ machine and it’s so much nicer to use, and built to last forever.

8 Likes

We went to Santa Pod in the Polo! (I didn’t take it down the ¼ mile though, but we did drive across the staging lanes on the way out.

4 Likes

FWIW, I enjoy trail running, and woodcarving, especially in the Spanish Colonial style which has a long history in New Mexico… fred

this is part of a door:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 100 replies. Continue discussion at Other Hobbies (Part 2).