My first and second CW activation - now with addendum

History:

Over the last years I thought about working from summits in CW and not only in SSB. In the past, 23 years ago, I used CW on short wave for some weeks and later some times on VHF and UHF during contests. I was not sure to handle Morse code yet good enough from summits.

During the last years occasionally I was searching for a small and really summit suitable single (!) paddle (!) key for not so much money, found nothing. When I decided to use a bit more coins for a good quality and buy a palm key I found the production closed. Now, with some luck some weeks ago, I’ve got a Palm Pico Single. Working with the key (in local mode) was very joyful. This was the boost. It was itching me (right wording?) to use the key from a summit.

Activations:

Last Tuesday the forecast for Wednesday was perfect (a little to perfect with up to 25 °C in March). I packed the station and things for a day hike and especially the Palm Pico Single.

The first summit was Großer Farmdenkopf, DM/TH-012, a convenient place with tables and benches, a good place to concentrate on CW.

6 m wire up and some along the metal fence

After a spot by RBN two strong signals with the same pitch came in. SV3IEG was my first contact and OH5RP came later in the log.

Thanks to the chasers I managed contacts with

20 m CW: SV3IEG, EA7GV, EA5K, SA4BLM and OH5RP

20 m SSB: SV3IEG

40 m SSB: EA2DT, G4WSB, EA2CE and G0FEX

The weather was nice but sometimes with a strong wind, very dangerous for my paper log. After 40 minutes I packed up.

The next summit was Quittelsberg, DM/TH-844, a longer hike and much more ascend.

20 m dipole supported by the pole

I was QRV about 14:40 UTC and worked

20 m CW: UR3IRM

40 m CW: SA4BLM, G4WSB, F4WBN, EA2DT, S57D, OE6WIG and UW8SM

20 m SSB: EA2DT and EA1DHB

As a precaution to get enough contacts from this summit in the late afternoon I brought my PA and LiFePo 6.6 Ah on the summit, meaningless. 5 watts were ok. Carrying 2 kg for nothing, it was like a small anvil.

The way down was boring, 3.2 km on a forest road permanent with 11 % slope.

the first 300 m with 18 % slope :slightly_frowning_face:

Thanks a lot to all the chasers, especially for these with patience when I don’t get the call at the first attempt. Now I’m waiting for the next activation in CW. Hope to work you then.

73 Ludwig

15 Likes

Neat setup and hope to have a DX contact sometime in the future.

Cheers, Wal VK2WP

1 Like

Well done for doing two summits for your first CW activation. You did better than me!

My first SOTA activation was with Pete Freeman MØHQO. I was so pleased & relieved I didn’t make a hash of my first CW activation, I went home and had a bottle of wine to wind down!!! It took me a while to pluck up courage to do my second activation which I did do alone…

Dave

1 Like

Last Wednesday temperature was up to 25°C. This morning, 6 days later, it was around -1°C. Looking outside I found a totally different view.

2 Likes

Ditch the amp. I’ve never had issues activating with CW running QRP. Condx weren’t the greatest this past weekend and I still had 25 HF contacts on 20/30/40.

3 Likes

I agree and plan to do so. Buying the PA was the result of a few hard activations when it took me about one or two hours to qualify a summit and two times not.

1 Like