My first activation in cw

Superb, well done Chris, I did 30mtrs on my first CW outings because of lesser traffic, a new world opens up now with smaller transceivers, smaller batteries and thus lesser weight to carry. 5W now lets you contact DX, many times already I had contact with only 5W and a linked dipole on 20 and 30mtrs atop a summit.

Just do it ! At whatever speed, the chaser will take your speed. If they donā€™t, just ignore.

ON6UU

2 Likes

well done!

hope We can make S2S .

1 Like

Well done Chris. The first activation on a new mode is always the most difficult. Hopefully I will be able to work you more often as CW cuts through the local noise whereas SSB does not often make it.

73, Gerald G4OIG

1 Like

Well done Chris,
You just inspired me to look back in the database. My first cw QSO on 17/06/14 was from Beinn a Churn GM/WS-267 near Shiel Bridge. It has still only had one activation.

Enjoy.
Stay Safe
David G0EVV

2 Likes

Ramsons, great on a pizza :pizza::pizza::pizza:

Hi Chris,
I started 4 years ago: Sotadata3
CW is the best friend of mine nowadays, especially in low propagation period.
Now you will see how things may become easy :wink:

73, Jarek

1 Like

Hi Chris,
congratulations and it was a pleasure to meet you in mode cw for the first time.I hope there will be many qsoā€™s to come.The contacts in SSB with you are also a pleasure and always welcome.Have fun with all operating modes and lots of Sota activations.
see you next time and stay healthy.
73ā€™
Paul

1 Like

Congrats! CW has been a SOTA game changer for me. Not only is it a lot of fun but it also is super efficient and allows you to carry a fraction of the weight you normally would. I see you have a beautiful KX2 but if you want to cut even more weight I highly recommend the LNR Precision MTR series of transceivers. I hope to work you S2S at some point! Congrats again my friend and 73.

Hallo Chris, well done, congratulationshamcw
Donald ON7QR 73.

Congrats on the activation using CW!
Iā€™m still in the process of learning through the CWOPS Academy so sometime away for me.

How do you call CQ? Is it just:

Example ā€œCQ CQ CQ DE KC1MIJ Kā€

SOTA CW is pretty easy to master, especially if you note QRS in the notes, chasers will put a lot of farnsworth in there for you.

Typical SOTA exchange is the basics

Activator: CQ CQ SOTA DE KM3A KM3A K

Chaser: [Callsign pileup]

Activator: [Chaser Call] GM ES TU UR 599 599 CA CA BK

Chaser: BK GM TU UR 599 599 MT MT 73 SK

Activator: TU ā€¦

Chaser: ā€¦

For a great YouTube check out Motā€™s videos JP1QEC

Or Steve WG0AT

Both transcribe the exchange and should get you familiar with typical SOTA exchanges.

GL with CWOps, Iā€™m currently halfway through Intermediate. Excellent program.

3 Likes

Hi Chris ā€¦

ā€¦ i remember my very first sota cw activation at hekla in iceland. The first 5 minutes were horror - afterwards it went better and at the end I had more cw than ssb connections. All omā€™s were nice and reduced the speed. Keep on trying !! (und BƤrlauch ist sehr, sehr lecker) :wink:

73, Peter

1 Like

Congratulations Chris. Now you know that you can operate in CW mode, this gives you a new valuable option :wink:.

1 Like

Yesterday I achieved my goal and 5008 points in the S2S category with more than 1000 contacts.
The 97 qsos in the CW helped me a lot and Iā€™m a little proud of that.
Many thanks to the patient telegraph operators.

I couldnā€™t hide my joy in the short video: DL1CR Now 5008 pts for 1072 S2S contacts - YouTube

73 Chris

4 Likes

Good morning Chris.

Congratulations on reaching the 5k s2s points. Well done. Thanks also for our first CW s2s last Monday from DM/BW-454 on 60m :+1:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

1 Like

Congratulations! What an achievement :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats, Chris, for the 5K S2S points and mainly for the CW QSOs finally made.
Iā€™m looking forward to QSO with you on CW soon.

Guru

1 Like

Hey Chris ā€¦

ā€¦thatā€™s an amazing achievement. Great!

73 Armin

1 Like

Hallo Chris,

Du Nachahmer :wink:. Gratulation!!!

Aber noch interessanter: hast Du genug BƤrlauch geerntet?

73 Ludwig

1 Like

Congratulations Chris!
A new CW world has opened up to you. Hope many CW S2S QSO with DL1CR.
Vlad
RX9WT

1 Like