My 57th and possibly last SOTA birthday celebration (Part 1)

When I received the news about the spread of this foul disease I was unable to formulate a response. Many of us have had to face cancer in one form or another but I do not know anybody (myself included) who could be so pragmatic in the face of this devastating news. You are an example to us all and, as I said to others in the MT - This guy has real balls (cojones).

Good luck my friend, fight it and enjoy every activation that remains

11 Likes

Guru, like everyone else I am really sorry to read about the return of your cancer. I hope that the chemo eases the pain, though as we know, the treatment is not pleasant.

I really hope that your birthday activation is a huge success and I hope to be in your log on that day. In the meantime, I send you my very best wishes my friend. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Gerald G4OIG / G8CXK

4 Likes

Guru, I will have a “dram” for you at The Bells tonight and hope to be up on a summit somewhere for a QSO on your Birthday.

All the Best.

Fraser

5 Likes

Guru

very sad to hear that cancer is again stronger on you. I do hope you can conquer it.

It is always great to hear your signal since i know about your struggle, your call is always special for me. Hope to hear you many more times.
All the best.
73 Bruno HB9CBR

5 Likes

Very sorry to hear your news Guru. Live each day to the full.

6 Likes

Hi Guru,
Rotten news. I am sorry. I doubt I can be on air when you are on that summit but I can go to a #57 peak on your birthday in our daylight hours. With current conditions Eu may be possible.

Chemo is tough treatment as you know so I hope it is effective for least pain reduction.

73, GL.
Ron
VK3AFW

3 Likes

Right after having written this in my previous post, I had a horrible 30 minutes of very intense pain in my spine. It has fortunately gone by now and I think I’m going to do what I said I wanted to do and I’m going to go to one of our local summits for zero points but just to enjoy the pleasure of being on the air from a SOTA summit and exchanging best wishes with you all. I’m not sure I’ll be strong enough to work SSB and it may finally be a CW only activation, bit keep an eye of SW3 and see what the spots say…
I hope to copy you this afternoon…

Guru

11 Likes

Wow Guru, so sorry to hear this. Our contacts have always been a pleasure for me, many thanks.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Malcolm

3 Likes

Guru, Me acabo de dar cuenta de que tu cumpleaños también es el día en que planeo activar el último pico para completar la región de Lake District. Esperemos que sea un día feliz y especial para los dos. ¡Y que haya muchos más! Mis mejores deseos de nuevo, y nunca te rindas.

3 Likes

Guru,
Glad to catch you on 20M CW now. It is very foggy here, otherwise I would run to a local peak to try to make an s2s. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Happy New Year !!!
73!
Mike, WB2FUV

3 Likes

AC1Z - Thanks for the DX contact today! 73 Bob

3 Likes

Guru,
How sad I am to hear your news. You have so many times been in the log of “old cloth ears” as I have plodded across to wastelands of Northern Britain.
I look forward to working you on your 57th birthday, and hopefully, more in the future.

It is a brave thing you do.

Thinking of you.
David
G0EVV

5 Likes

Guru,
I can only admire how you keep fighting despite this bad news and I hope your treatment will give you the opportunity to go out activating whenever you feel like.
As others have written here: Live each day to the full and enjoy the things you like to do.
My thoughts are with you and I hope for many more QSOs to come, my friend.

fte abz,
Roman

4 Likes

Guru,

Ve con Dios mi amigo. Know that wherever you go, you are not alone.

Mike AD5A

3 Likes

Guru activated EA2/NV-092 today and from the spots was on the summit for nearly 3 hours starting around 1500 UTC. What an extraordinary man.

18 Likes

Hello Guru, you inspire me each time I read your posts. Your greatest strengths–your deep courage, grace and resilience–have been honed by the way you choose to engage with the adversity of cancer in a very grounded and empowering way. For those of us experiencing our own challenges, you are an inspiration. 73 and thank you for being who you are.

Paul K9PM

8 Likes

3,5 hours on 20m CW produced 55 QSOs, 18 of which were DX with the USA, 3 S2S, 1 with Lars @SA4BLM, who very kindly activated SOTA just for a single S2S QSO with me and the other 2 with Pat KI4SVM and Jeff AA6XA in the U.S.A.
It was a great afternoon despite a persistent mild pain in my back.

Guru
P.D. @DL7SX asked me which was my rig and aerial. The answer is FT-817ND at 5W and this 9.1m sloper OCF (7m+2.1m) random wire antenna:

And this is the map with the QSOs:

26 Likes

Guru,
You are HERO !!!
73, Jarek

9 Likes

It was an honour to work you yesterday Guru. Your courage is an example to us all.

Simon

8 Likes

I listened for over a hour to try to hear you over here to no avail, but none the less I hope you had a fantastic activation @EA2IF Guru.

73 De VE6JTW, Jesse

4 Likes