My 57th and possibly last SOTA birthday celebration (Part 1)

Dear Guru,

I have no words.

We had a qso today and could hardly hear each other. Nevertheless, I was very happy about your call and to guess your voice.

At the same time very sad about how you are at the moment.

I hug you
Chris

10 Likes

Dear Guru,

So sad to hear this! I will certainly try to accompany you on your birthday and schedule an activation so that we can hopefully have a S2S contact!
All the best in the meantime!

73, Sylvia

5 Likes

Guru

We have never met, on or off air - I am a SOTA newby still mostly on VHF.

But the outpouring of support that is evident from this thread is very touching, and clearly it, and your nickname, are obviously well deserved. We just lost a family member to cancer and Covid so I understand your situation only too well.

My best wishes and prayers are with you - and I hope for the best for you in 2022.

Regards

Rick

3 Likes

Hello Guru, thanks for your health update. So sorry to hear of this. I hope the chemo works out ok.

Take care friend.

HNY to you and cheers- :beers: :beers:

Geoff vk3sq

4 Likes

Guru, thank you for sharing your information. I hope the chemo will be able to pick up where the previous meds left off, and bring you many more years to enjoy. I appreciate all the chases and hope to successfully chase you.

All the best, my friend. Your courage and strength are inspiring.

73 Paula k9ir

6 Likes

Guru,
Sorry to hear this news. There is always hope. Thoughts and Prayers go out to you and the family. Always good to hear you and work you across the pond. Hopefully there will be many more put in the log. The Lord works in strange ways. Never give up! / AB4PP

6 Likes

Guru,
Cancer is bad stuff. I lost a sister to it last June. I hope it lets you to activate -060, -061 and many more.

Malen
VE6VID

10 Likes

Guru,

We’ve never worked (yet) on the air, but hope to catch you on your birthday activation. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family in this fight. I’ve always enjoyed your helpful advice on operating techniques and gear, and look forward to enjoy much more. Your determination and grit are very inspiring to those of us who are too overcome by life to activate as much as we’d like. Your descriptive and entertaining articles do keep me looking forward to your next adventure, and looking forward to many more.

God Bless you and your family, hang in there with your great attitude.

Mike, N4VBV

5 Likes

Guru! I am honored to have you in my log. Keep fighting and know that much, much more lies beyond this Earthly realm I am certain!

Prayers your way and have a great 57th and activation!

Erik
KE8OKM

5 Likes

Wow Guru That’s knocked the stuffing out of me. I knew full well that you were ill mate but I thought they had it under control. I’m not going to say I’m sorry for you , as that is not what you need. All I can say is I hope the time you have left is as pain free as possible, and that you and your family can still enjoy the things you like to do. Take care mate and stay safe.
Allen

10 Likes

Hi Guru, well I don’t know what to say. Terrible news but I know you will keep fighting like in the past and just hope they can turn things around again.
Our thoughts are with you and the pleasurable contacts we have had.
73 Don G0RQL.

7 Likes

So sorry to hear your cancer is advancing. You are in my thoughts and have my best wishes that your treatment makes you more comfortable.

4 Likes

Bonjour Guru.
Nous sommes vraiment désolé de lire ce qui t’arrive, de nouveau.
Bien entendu tous les mots d’encouragement ne peuvent empêcher la souffrance.
Si tu le permet, je pourrais faire la randonnée du 11 janvier avec toi et te servir de sherpa pour éventuellement porter la station et avoir, enfin, le plaisir de se rencontrer.
Cordiales 73
Agur
André f5ukl

5 Likes

Tough news Guru. I add my prayers and best wishes to everyone else’s. I hope that the discomfort can be controlled to allow you to live your life to the full for as long as possible. It’s all any of us can hope for. You have certainly and continue to leave a positive mark on SOTA. Hope to speak to you again from a summit

5 Likes

Very sad news to hear at the closing of the year 2021. I wish you and everyone a lot of strenght and keep the fighting spirit up.
All the best
:crossed_fingers:

73 Joe

4 Likes

So I am Andy, and we cannot do best than cross fingers.
Alain F6ENO

4 Likes

Hi Guru,
This is really sad and extremely bad news, I am kind of overwhelmed.
Thank you for all the entries in my chaser log.
If it really goes to the worst case scenario before your 58th birthday, the following is what I would really like to see. A SOTA activator that goes up on a 58 reference on your birthday activating it and leaving behind something in remembrance with your name and call on it.
My thoughts are with you and all those close to you.
My wife got breast cancer about 3 years ago, so I know what it is all about, fortunately she survived and is well now.
Vy 73, you have a permanent place in my memory.

5 Likes

Dear Guru,

I am lost for words. I have great memories of our time and activations together in Navarra.
Our prayers are with you and your family.

Angel & Eva

5 Likes

Dear ALL my great SOTA friends,
I sent my email to some or many but it was impossible for me to remember all the good ham radio friends I have thanks to SOTA and I knew I was forgetting many friends in that email, so that’s why I finally decided to inform the whole community through the Reflector.
I feel immensely honored with the overwhelming response of nice thoughts, warmth, prays and support from the SOTA community. Believe it or not, I assure you the messages you are writing to me here are of great help and they encourage me to keep wishing very much to stay here with you and enjoying our great SOTA hobby.
I have had to face several difficult situations in my life and I’ll again do everything to try to make possible the impossible.
I’ve always been a positive and optimistic person and even now, under these adverse circumstances, I’ll keep thinking for the best and I’ll work hard to make it happen.
I’ll keep looking forward to many more SOTA QSOs with you.
I’m even feeling tempted now to take my SOTA kit and go out for an activation so we can again enjoy the pleasure of exchanging regards on the air.
Thank you very, very, very much for your great friendship and support.

Guru

35 Likes

Guru, I am so sorry for the news you report to us. Your strength and determination to remain active from the summits in your current circumstances are truly an example for all of us. I hope to contact you from EA2/SS-57 and those that follow, which I hope will be many more.
I wish you the best of luck

Antonio, EA4MY

4 Likes