After 1 year intensely work

In reply to GW0DSP:

In reply to M0SGB:

Steve

Once again you have quoted that it is only the chasers asking for rule changes in this thread, tell me who you refer to because I can’t find a single chaser making such requests in this thread.

Well from what i can see its only two chaser’s (not much activation) doing all the shouting from the mountain tops, Oh sorry if you call doing a few 1 & 2 pointers, a good cause for change then i dont, why should you be shouting we need more summits when you have only done a handfull of summits,
gw0dsp has done 67 summits this year 2008, a total of 28 summits which have been revisited, and excluding the 13 from Germany. And Brian has only done 1 summit this year, 8 summits in 2007, and 4 revisited in 2007, accordding to the database, and this is only in the UK, when you start walking up hills over 500 meters then it would be possible to take in these humps. but then does this mean if we had these extra hills/humps you would activate them and not the others,
Steve m0sgb

Steve,

Everyone involved in SOTA is entitled to an opinion. Well, everyone involved in activating G summits in SOTA is entitled to an opinion. There is something in what you say about the number of G uniques completed being relevant to how crucial the issue is for an activator. For instance, surely the views of G1INK and G3CWI with 150+ G uniques each should be given more “weight” than individuals with 10, 1 or even 0 G uniques to their name (as they would still have lots more and more local summits to visit by comparison).

But these are not issues for you or I, nor for now. They are for James M0ZZO in June next year. In the meantime, enjoy the winter bonus and the calendar clicking round so we can all start again.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
yes your right Tom everyone is entitled to an opinion, and this was mine,

anyway to change the topic.

Dont for get CHRISTMAS is only around the corner,

What will Father christmas be bringing you,

just been out and bought mine £600-00 fish tank and stand.

Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

Steve, I will not let you draw me into a silly arguement, I can’t afford to, so I will only reply to you this once.

I have managed 167 activations in under 2 years, you have done 200 activations in 4.5 years, that makes me a more prolific activator than you. You say I have activated 67 summits this year, how many have you done in 2008.

I really don’t understand what you mean by saying I have only done a few 1 & 2 pointers. I have done some 1, 2, and 4, pointers, plus one 8 pointer and twelve 10 pointers.

Anyway, I don’t understand your logic, I am an activator as well as a chaser and my comments are made as an activator.

Tom

It shouldn’t matter where the activator reigns from. Surely we can all add a personal opinion irrespective of where our mothers gave birth to us?

This thread has now been allowed to become personal thanks to Steve’s comments, I’ll have no more part in it thank you.

Mike GW0DSP

I think you misread my comments Mike. I agree with you, that everyone who activates in G should have a stake in the debate, regardless of where their home QTH is. This is especially important for the likes of yourself who is within easy reach of G-land. But even the “SOTA tourists” from further afield, like the LA trio, could have a say, but obviously, proportionally less than G1INK (for instance).

Tom M1EYP

In reply to GW0DSP:
This thread has now been allowed to become personal thanks to Steve’s comments, I’ll have no more part in it thank you.

SORRY THIS HAS NOT BECOME A PERSONAL ATTACK,
Just speaking my mind,

go on then will close it down, before we say something wrong and offend anyone,
Steve m0sgb an avid walker.

In reply to M1EYP:

Sorry Tom, I did mis-read your post (no pun intended).

Point taken and I tend to agree that it should only concern activators of G summits and you make a good point re Inky and Richard.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to M0SGB:

Well from what i can see its only two chaser’s (not much activation) doing
all the shouting from the mountain tops,

That is a personal attack Steve when you name the two in question. In my case an unjustifiable attack, see my earlier reply.

Let’s leave it at that Steve.

Good day
Mike GW0DSP

PS

SORRY THIS HAS NOT BECOME A PERSONAL ATTACK

Are you aware that in PC terms the use of capitals is deemed to be shouting?

In reply to M0SGB:

Steve, don’t get so heated, you are missing things. Firstly I am not shouting from the mountain tops, I’m more restrained than that. I don’t support P100 because I think we need more summits, I am neutral on that issue. I support P100 because it makes possible more multi-summit excursions on foot. Tazzing around the countryside by car paying whistle-stop visits to summits by the quickest route so as to cram in as many as possible in a day is IMHO a pretty poor way of savouring the delights of our uplands. If thats what people want to do, fair enough, but I want the option of what I see as more rewarding experiences to be available.

Just for the record my activations this year so far are NP-005 (4-4-08), NW-025 (1-5-08), CE-002 (13-5-08), DC-007 (6-7-08), WB-019 (27-9-08) and LD-027 (1-11-08). Yes, three of them were worth a point each, but so what? Steve, in my time I have climbed virtually all the LD summits, not just the Marilyns, same with NW, and covered a good representative sample of Scottish Munros. I’ve rock-climbed on many of the crags, too, and have a reasonable number of Scottish snow and ice routes under my belt. As they say, I’ve got the T-shirt, I’ve nothing to prove to myself or you and am content now to do things in my own way and at my own speed, so your scornful words leave me totally unmoved. Mind you, I still have to stop and do mental arithmetic to translate your 500 metre threshold to something more familiar to me, roughly 1650 feet! Well, if we ever change to P100 I look forward to doing Pike o’ Blisco, the Crinkles and Bowfell, not because of the points but for old time’s sake, and the two new ones will be higher than the Marilyn! Mind you, I’m at Raw Head at the end of this month so who knows?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to ALL:

Thanks to everyone for placing a response.

PSE NO quarrel to make … that is absolutely not necessary and I do not want that.

The intention for me is that Belgium gets much more SOTA references as soon as possible … kindest still this year.

But my personal opinion on the moment: I have no good eye on it that “rapidly” something will change to the Belgian SOTA list. So here we sit then and do nothing about SOTA on the moment.

… Perhaps I will make during the Christmas holiday day’s a small DL/RP tour … but that costs me a lot of money for fuel ect … and min. 3 h drive Up and min. 3 h back again. Take allso notice: In DL-land obligatorily snow tires during winter-time ! …

But nevertheless I have a small hope to the Belgian SOTA future. I have done my work to make a new candidate list.

I have let make some weeks ago, nice Belgian SOTA flags … but I do not know yet if it will be still useful towards my future SOTA activations !

Imgur

Imgur

I will be waiting and look what will happen.

Hpe to work you all soon again on a next “NEW” Belgian SOTA ref.

Untill next time.

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ON6DSL:

Luc, don’t be so disappointed.
Your nice flag will soon float on high, over vales and hills…

Best 73
Alain F6ENO

In reply to ON6DSL:

Nice flag, Luc, I could happily fly something like that myself!

I hope Santa Claus brings you some new summits!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to ON6DSL:

Perhaps I will make during the Christmas holiday day’s a small DL/RP tour …

Hi Luc,

take care of the new summit-list for DM/RP, before you activate some deleted summits.

Vy73 GL with ON
Fritz dl4fdm,hb9csa

In reply to F6ENO:

Thanks Alain for you hopeful words !

73 Luc ON6DSL

To all: Today first snow (±3 cm) in The Flanders “DE KEMPEN” region Nord-Belgium and still snowing sometimes. Temps: 1.1° Gr/C. Splendit Sota weather !On ON/ON-001 about 10 cm snow.

In reply to G8ADD:

Also thanks Brian for you hopeful words !

I dont know … I have not been naughty this year … Hmmmm … I think ?

In flamisch words we call it : Sinter Klaas and in French: Saint Nicolas.

Thx

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to DL4FDM:

Hi Fritz,

I will examine the DM/RP list against that date.
Thx fur info.

Question: I think that I am correct. Is it so that we also must have snow tires in DL-land during winter-time or it is differently for people outside DL-land ?

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ON6DSL:

Hi Luc,

there are no snow-tires obligatory in Germany (independent for non-DL or DL`s).
Since 01.05.2006, it is legally established that the equipment of vehicles to adapt the weather is.
As an example, the law provides that the fair weather equipment of vehicles, “particularly suitable tires and antifreeze in the windscreen washer” belong. On a definition of the term “appropriate tires” has renounced the legislature. There is, however, agree that all tires variants except summer tires “suitable” within the meaning of the Act. It may therefore not only winter, but also year-round tires may be used.

If a motorist winter road conditions in spite of his vehicle used, although it is only equipped with summer tires, so danger of a warning money in the amount of 20 euros and concrete obstruction of traffic a fine of 40 euros and one point.

Vy73 es CU from DL
Fritz dl4fdm,hb9csa

In reply to ALL:

Today again snow (±10 cm) in my QTH at The Flanders “DE KEMPEN” region Nord-Belgium and still snowing.

Imgur

Imgur

On ON/ON-001 - Signal De Botrange about 30 cm snow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21351505@N08/3053013263/

Nice and splendit Sota weather ! Haihai …

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ALL:

Website concerning the Belgian Ardennes in languages FR-NL-EN-DE.

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ON6DSL:

Thanks for the link Luc, that is a very interesting looking website.

Mike GW0DSP