After 1 year intensely work

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike,

Look to: DISCOVERIES

In reply to ON6DSL:

Hi Luc

Yes, some beautiful countryside. I spent some time in Belgium and Luxemburg many years ago when I was just 14 years old, but I still have vivid memories of my visit. Since then I have only passed through enroute to other destinations, maybe soon I will visit again.

Mike GW0DSP

When you come Mike, you should visit Bruges and if you like a bit of history, mandatory for every british citizen is the area around Ypres with all the war graves and monuments.

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:

Hi Peter

I have indeed visited both of those locations and as I type I am looking at a copper statuette of the little boy who was found in a compromising position, hi, I bought it for my late mother while I was in Belgium.

When I was last over there we stopped in Luxemburg, at a place called Echternact, excuse me if I have spelt it wrong.

We visited Ypres and the war graves left a lasting impression on my mind with the rows of crosses going on and on forever, a sight I’ll never forget. We visited a similar site in France on the same trip.

Most of Europe is stunningly beautiful country and I enjoyed the many views on our recent road trip to south Germany.

Mike GW0DSP

“Manneken Pis” is from Brussels, Mike, not Bruges. But you’re forgiven :o)

But I think we are hijacking Luc his thread and are a long way off now :o).

It would be nice to add some more “humps” to our small list of “mountains”

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:

I agree Peter and offer apologies to Luc. I replied to Luc’s link and the theme progressed from there. Let’s let the thread get back on track.

What do you say, shall we remove our last couple of posts to get the thread back on track Peter?

Mike

Unless Luc wants us to, let them be, Mike. It’s an interesting read for others. And We are back on the original thread now.

Incidently if you ever come to Belgium let me know.

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:
I will be in ON next week Peter. But alas it’s a flying visit on Wednesday/Thursday (also touching PA too)

Maybe I’ll carry my 2m HH… but not likely to be near any summits

…and to restore political correctness regarding gender and the mention of the Mannekin Pis above, do not forget the Jeanneke Pis also in Brussels. :slight_smile:

73 Marc

In reply to ON3WAB:

OK Peter, will do and yes if/when I return to belgium/Luxemburg I will let you know. There’s a matter of a pint or three which I owe Norby LX1NO, hi.

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

A small tip Marc and Mike by visit Belgium, take a nice but “VERY COLD” Belgian beer with te name “DUVEL”

Schol - Santé

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ON6DSL:

Hi Luc,

back to the original subject:

you may try

http://www.bergwettbewerb.de/

which is under development currently, there is no prominence-limit.

the rules there would allow an ON-association too:

http://www.bergfunker.de/x47/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=8

contact is Roberto, dj2ay@yahoo.de

73 andy DL2DVE

In reply to ON6DSL:
I’d rather have a Grimbergen.
Slainte
jim

In reply to ON6DSL:
Thanks Luc… although I am very keen on Hoegaarden. :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to DL2DVE:

Ok FB Andy, that look like a interesting website. I go examine the website during the next days.

Danke fur info.

Luc ON6DSL

Announcement from the SOTA Management Team:

Within the British Isles, we are fortunate in having an established and independently maintained list of summits that conform to the P150 parameter. Indeed, the very existence of such a list greatly assisted the creation of the very first SOTA Association in England.

Few other countries have the luxury of a pre-determined list when they decide to join SOTA. In such cases there is often no alternative but to pore over detailed maps searching for relevant spot heights, and then counting the contour lines to determine actual surveyed prominence. This is a time-consuming task, and is very prone to human error. Whilst it may be relatively straightforward to find eligible summits in true mountain ranges, the task becomes much more difficult in areas of rolling countryside. As recent UK research has shown (using Detling Hill G/SE-013 as an example), the activation zone alone can cover many kilometres, so the zone of prominence can be absolutely huge. The problem is compounded where national boundaries cross such areas, as two or more separate sets of often incompatible maps are required. Such was the situation facing the founders of the Belgian SOTA Association early in 2007, thus it was almost inevitable that errors would creep into the summit list.

Now, fast-forward to November 2008, and the arrival of Marc G0AZS onto the MT. His useful array of mapping software and, more importantly, the expertise to use it, allowed a thorough review of Belgian summits. The results revealed what many had long suspected. A significant number of Belgian SOTA summits fell short of the required P150. Deletion of such non-summits would have left the Belgian Association rather bereft, so Johan ON5EX, the resident AM, submitted a case for reducing the Belgian prominence parameter to 100 metres, as allowed for in the General Rules. Once again Marc’s software was brought into play, and it was soon determined that Belgium has sixteen P100 summits, a much more rewarding total.

Close cooperation between Johan and the MT produced a revised ARM with the new summits, and it was agreed that the changes would take effect at the start of 2009.

The existing summits will remain valid until 31st December, so there is still time to visit them. Points gained in such activations will, of course, still count towards your totals, whilst a new set of uniques await activations in

The new Belgian ARM will shortly be uploaded to the SOTA website for your perusal, and the database/SOTAwatch amended to reflect the changes.

SOTA MT

In reply to M1EYP:

It is possible obtain a list before placing these ?

on6dsl(at)on4hrt(dot)org

Hi Luc,

The ARM will be published shortly on the main SOTA website - http://www.sota.org.uk

The new summits have been uploaded to the SOTA Database (ON/ON-009 to ON/ON-022). You won’t see them in the normal list of ON summits until they become valid on 1st January 2009, but you can get the individual details:

On the SOTA Database (http://database.sota.org.uk) go to Summits then Find Summit. Type in any code ON-009 to ON-022 (capital letters necessary) and you will bring up the details of your new summits.

The summits will become visible also on SOTAwatch (this site) when Jon GM4ZFZ does an update.

Kind regards,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom,

Thnx for the info.

However, it is strange that there absolutely no mine-terril stands in the NEW list. There are many mine-terrils in Belgium that satisfies. Take a look in the surroundings of Helchteren, Houthalen, Waterschei, Luik (Liege), Charleroi, ect … I don’t know probably these stands not on your Belgian map. Pse check …

ON/ON-013 115 m 377 ft N 51 4 26.63 E 5 14 9.10 JO21OB TERRIL KORSPEL
ON/ON-019 133 m 436 ft N 51 3 32.24 E 5 19 54.42 JO21PB TERRIL LINDEMAN
ON/ON-022 150 m 492 ft N 51 1 33.53 E 5 31 26.78 JO21SA TERRIL HOUTHALEN OOST
ON/ON-026 155 m 509 ft N 50 59 15.26 E 5 28 40.90 JO20RX TERRIL WINTERSLAG
ON/ON-031 165 m 541 ft N 51 0 46.58 E 5 32 33.31 JO20SA TERRIL WATERSCHEI
ON/ON-161 105 m 344 ft N 50 25 58.1 E 3 53 35.3 JO10WK TERRIL FLENU
ON/ON-162 112 m 367 ft N 50 26 02.7 E 3 56 27.9 JO10XK TERRIL MONS
ON/ON-165 120 m 394 ft N 50 25 21.8 E 3 54 05.2 JO10WK TERRIL OSTENE
ON/ON-166 124 m 407 ft N 50 26 15.2 E 3 53 28.2 JO10WK TERRIL STE HENRIETTE
ON/ON-167 130 m 427 ft N 50 26 10.5 E 3 54 00.3 JO10WK TERRIL LE PONTON
ON/ON-181 226 m 741 ft N 50 38 38.5 E 5 29 43.9 JO20RP TERRIL GRACE HOLLOGNE
ON/ON-182 318 m 1043 ft N 50 37 46.7 E 5 42 29.3 JO20UP TERRIL RETINNE
ON/ON-191 168 m 551 ft N 50 40 06.1 E 5 36 28.6 JO20TQ TERRIL PETITE BACNURE
ON/ON-192 170 m 558 ft N 50 37 59.6 E 5 30 50.2 JO20SO TERRIL CHANTRAINE
ON/ON-194 180 m 591 ft N 50 39 35.3 E 5 36 37.9 JO20TP TERRIL DE BERNALMONT
ON/ON-195 197 m 646 ft N 50 38 32.2 E 5 31 36.7 JO20SP TERRIL DE MONTEGNEE
ON/ON-196 222 m 728 ft N 50 39 53.3 E 5 35 04.1 JO20TP TERRIL BAT NOUVEAU
ON/ON-197 233 m 764 ft N 50 39 36.5 E 5 33 25.8 JO20SP TERRIL STE BARBETONNE

Luc ON6DSL

Hi Luc

What is a “mine-terril stand”?

Can you email me an image of a detailed topographical map of some of these summits?

Marc G0AZS has done a detailed analysis of the ON mapping, in order to identify the 16 100m prominences in Belgium. All should be correct.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to ON6DSL:
Hi Luc

Thanks for the mail.

Yes these are what we would know as spoil heaps. I remember some of them well from the area around Charleroi when I lived in Belgium a few years ago.

They do show up quite well on the SRTM elevation data. You can see an example of TERRIL STE BARBETONNE here using SRTM data plotted in Radio Mobile.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28485944@N00/3078779050/

Unfortunately, despite the elevation figures that you note above, they do not appear to have prominence of 100m according to the SRTM data. Obviously if the highest points of the heaps and the elevation of the highest saddle between the heap and the other qualifying summits were accurately surveyed on the ground, it is possible that one or more may qualify.

However, when SRTM data is used to analyse well known summits, e.g. UK Marilyns or Humps, it is quite accurate and identifies the “real” Marilyns or Humps very well. So I feel quite comfortable with these results. That’s not to say that more cannot be added if more reliable survey data becomes available.

73 Marc G0AZS