Yorkshire Day August 1st 2021

:hibiscus::wink:

It looks like most are heading out Sunday morning -

Plus ??/OE6FEG/P Matt

So Iā€™ve planned for the same kind of times. These are two castle ruin sites (in WCA/COTA and SOTA schemes) to fit with having the flag flying!

73 Ed.

4 Likes

Thanks for the list Ed. I have added my activation now, 0915z on Buckden Pike G/NP-009. Great Whernside G/NP-008 is a possibility for the afternoon, but more unlikely than likely so I havenā€™t alerted for it. Hopefully we will get a few more activators celebrating the day.

Great that you sourced a Yorkshire Flag in Germany especially for the occasion - youā€™ll get questions from the public I imagine! I also will be sporting the Yorkshire flag, which was last flown (in low wind) on the 2019 Tour de France on the summit of Grand Ballon FL/VO-001 - see it at 00:10 IN THIS YOU TUBE LINK

73 Phil G4OBK

Of course nobody has told these Yorkshiremen that there is an entrance fee to pay to take part in the celebrations. You watch them all back out when they find they need to fetch some brass from their pockets! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes, but that doesnā€™t apply to me, as I hail from the dark side over tā€™other side of the Pennines. I only lived here in Yorkshire for 28 years.

3 Likes

:grinning:

3 Likes

Iā€™m pleased to say that the ā€œbrassā€ I will spend on my Yorkshire Day activation has now been halved - I will be accompanied in my car by Pete @M0HQO. Pete will walk to G/NP-008 and I will go to G/NP-009 from the top of Park Rash. I noted Johnā€™s @G4YSS recent comments in his VHF wild camping thread about the cattle damaging his car some years ago, so hopefully I will also be able park south of the cattle grid.

Maybe Yorkshireman Pete will offer me half of my petrol bill to get there and back, heā€™s known for his generosity, having bought me a pint once. I think the return distance is around 140 miles. Now whereā€™s my Yorkshire flagā€¦

4 Likes

like Royal Orchid :heartpulse:

73, Jarek

1 Like

It can of course change in the meantime, but at present, the forecast for around here is predicting 9.8L/SqM of rain here on Sunday and 24.6 L/SqM on both of my chosen summits.

Fingers crossed.

Ed.

Surprisingly (this being Yorkshire after all), the forecast here is dry for Sunday!

However (this being Yorkshire), any forecast beyond the visual horizon is subject to change, so weā€™ll see. :wink:

You can buy a dry day but it will cost participants an extra 5p in addition to their 5p entrance fee. So Iā€™d take a brolly and pac-a-mac if I were you!

1 Like

Oh the irony of a Scot teasing Yorkshire folk about thrift! :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

As a proud Lancastrian living in Yorkshire I donā€™t mind paying my duesā€¦

2 Likes

Definition of a Yorkshireman is he is a Scotsman with the generosity knocked out of him!

4 Likes

Yorkshire Day - Iā€™ll draw up a list of likely activations for publishing on the limited social media nodes I have tomorrow PM for Yorkshire Day in Sunday, so if you plan to turn out and activate any of the 23 Yorkshire Summits then please alert on our reflector by lunchtime, Saturday 31st July.

MWIS Weather forecast Dales and G/NP not so bad:

How Wet?

Isolated showers

One or two showers developing during the day, mostly light and brief. The odd heavy burst possible into the afternoon.

Cloud On The Hills?

Lifting to higher tops

Risk of fairly extensive cloud across the Pennines in the morning, lowest in north and eastern areas. Lifting through the day, but may come and go above 700-800m.

Chance Of Cloud Free Summits?

60%

Best wishes for a good day to G6PJZ Andy who will be activating G/NP-002 Mickle Fell (Outwith Yorkshire) for a first time unique for him, tomorrow.

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

OK, Iā€™m ready to pay I even have some Scottish pence coins somewhere! If that can stop the storm level rain, winds and floods currently forecast for here on Sunday. Where do I pay?

73 Ed.

2 Likes

The weather does not look good here in the Steiermark. I have asked if it will be possible to use the club station in Graz to chase from.
73 Matt

Iā€™ll be on TW-003 all being well.

David

The bad WX forecasted for Saturday, July 31st, on vast areas of the North of Spain, convinced the organisers of the 2021 VHF FM long distance event to re-schedule it for the following day, thus coinciding with the Yorkshire day celebration.
This opens up an interesting oportunity for potencial S2S between G & EA on 2m FM.
Watch out for possible opennings allowing such DX.
On the thread for the mentionned event, youā€™ll find the list with all the activators in EA, along with their assigned frequencies, as well as the map with the location of the activated summits.

Have a great SOTA Yorkshire day and letā€™s hope for some DX.

Guru

1 Like

Good Morning Guru

Good move OM to re-schedule your VHF FM Event until the next day with better weather forecastā€¦I admire your optimism for the propagation so much!

So too prove my Lancastrian generosity (and propagation pessimism) I will give Ā£5 (ā‚¬6 for Espana all via PayPal) to any SOTA station completing a contact from a Yorkshire summit to any Spanish summit on 2m FM. Both contacts must be correlated with an entry in the SOTA Summit database. DD5LP is also included as a Yorkshireman EU expat.

73 Phil G4OBK

2 Likes