Yorkshire Day August 1st 2021

Definition of a Yorkshireman is he is a Scotsman with the generosity knocked out of him!

4 Likes

Yorkshire Day - I’ll draw up a list of likely activations for publishing on the limited social media nodes I have tomorrow PM for Yorkshire Day in Sunday, so if you plan to turn out and activate any of the 23 Yorkshire Summits then please alert on our reflector by lunchtime, Saturday 31st July.

MWIS Weather forecast Dales and G/NP not so bad:

How Wet?

Isolated showers

One or two showers developing during the day, mostly light and brief. The odd heavy burst possible into the afternoon.

Cloud On The Hills?

Lifting to higher tops

Risk of fairly extensive cloud across the Pennines in the morning, lowest in north and eastern areas. Lifting through the day, but may come and go above 700-800m.

Chance Of Cloud Free Summits?

60%

Best wishes for a good day to G6PJZ Andy who will be activating G/NP-002 Mickle Fell (Outwith Yorkshire) for a first time unique for him, tomorrow.

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

OK, I’m ready to pay I even have some Scottish pence coins somewhere! If that can stop the storm level rain, winds and floods currently forecast for here on Sunday. Where do I pay?

73 Ed.

2 Likes

The weather does not look good here in the Steiermark. I have asked if it will be possible to use the club station in Graz to chase from.
73 Matt

I’ll be on TW-003 all being well.

David

The bad WX forecasted for Saturday, July 31st, on vast areas of the North of Spain, convinced the organisers of the 2021 VHF FM long distance event to re-schedule it for the following day, thus coinciding with the Yorkshire day celebration.
This opens up an interesting oportunity for potencial S2S between G & EA on 2m FM.
Watch out for possible opennings allowing such DX.
On the thread for the mentionned event, you’ll find the list with all the activators in EA, along with their assigned frequencies, as well as the map with the location of the activated summits.

Have a great SOTA Yorkshire day and let’s hope for some DX.

Guru

1 Like

Good Morning Guru

Good move OM to re-schedule your VHF FM Event until the next day with better weather forecast…I admire your optimism for the propagation so much!

So too prove my Lancastrian generosity (and propagation pessimism) I will give £5 (€6 for Espana all via PayPal) to any SOTA station completing a contact from a Yorkshire summit to any Spanish summit on 2m FM. Both contacts must be correlated with an entry in the SOTA Summit database. DD5LP is also included as a Yorkshireman EU expat.

73 Phil G4OBK

2 Likes

HI Dave
You might have company on G/TW-003 (but not on CW). Local Andy G6PJZ/P is going there, so long as he gets back from G/NP-002, Mickle Fell. Andy got the necessary permit from the Warcop Army Range to do the activation today.

73 Phil G4OBK

10:00

G6PJZ/P on G/TW-003

Yorkshire Day (Posted by G6PJZ)

145.5‑fm,​ 3‑ssb,​ 7‑ssb,​ 14‑ssb

1 Like

Sorry, Phil, I’ve just received a Weather-Catastrophe alert for this evening through to midday tomorrow for the whole DL region - landslides are stated not only as possible but as likely, so to enter those areas even after the storms have passed would not be a good thing to do. Talk about unlucky! I hope at least the weather in the UK (and now Spain) is good on Sunday and all taking part bag several S2S contacts.

73 Ed.

Sorry to hear the forecast is so bad in Baveria Ed, on a day today, when so many are out of the hills and mountains. Not worth risking yourself and your gear is such atrocious condx, so I hope some of us can work you from home if you chase instead.

73 Phil

I want one Phil pretty please
alscard

2 Likes

Very good Yorkshireman Alan, you should work a few of us tomorrow. Hoping for more late in the day interest from Yorkshire activators and others visiting our County. Showers now forecast so I am taking my golf brolly just in case - more weight to carry :worried: Just cracking open a new Rite in the Rain log book. I filled the last one in June when I was in Wales. The latest ones have an additional back page on, more of an advert, so I am about to remove it. 3 pencils should be sufficient, often a short prencil gets mislaid or drops in between logs in a log pile, not that I will be sat on one of those on Buckden Pike tomorrow!

Back home chasing today, some neighbour just switched an appliance on (not my XYL) nasty QRN for a time then, forget 20m band for now where’s it’s bad. Sounds like an unsuppresed motor, S5 even when in the IPO position is selected on my rig.

73 Phil

PS 5 minutes later - localised QRN gone so back on 20m!

1 Like

Been shocking down here Phil due to workmen outside laying cables for internet. So hopefully with it being Sunday tomorrow I might be able to hear someone.
Best 73

2 Likes

Some good news, I’ll be chasing from our club station as OE6XUG! Ultrabeam for 40 and above; KX3 + KPA500, should be interesting. I may have to unplug quickly if a storm comes over. Does anyone know a good Android logging program for chasing?
73 de Matt

1 Like

That could be a bonus Alan - if you don’t mind paying the extra to get full fibre to the premises. The Open Reach contractors came down my 200m long cul-de-sac last year but turned right half way down and gave it to the new estate to the north of us, which was built about 4 years ago. We will be waiting for some years yet for it I reckon… A council run care home less than 100m from me had their own special trench dug from the BT exchange 250m away from them and got their own full fibre connection, council funded. My copper phone line goes in a roundabout way underground to the exchange, distance is less than 500m, it runs at a decent speed, about 30-35 MBPS but I would happily pay a bit more for FTTP if it was available.

All the best., Phil

1 Like

Hi Matt, have a look at Outd Log on the playstore.

73 Victor GI4ONL

1 Like

I just had a scan through the VK Portalog settings (which I use all the time), and I can change to QTHR mode, which should do the job. Shows how long it is since I operated from a fixed station. :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Hello Matt, have a good look at “VK Portalog”, by vk3zpf. You may find it suitable as it is for Android.

73 de Geoff vk3sqf

OE6XUG is up and running:

Already got G4OOE/P in the log on 10 and 14 MHz. Also managed VK3CWB on 18MHz; Ultra Beam helping a lot.
73 Matt

2 Likes

Thanks for the thought Phil. Sadly the river defeated me. The combination of bike and shanks pony worked well for the first bit. Sadly I forgot the waders! It was a lovely day too. Typical! I need to either pick a really dry spell or do the southern route next time (I suspect the latter is the more reliable).

Just back from G/TW-003. Met Dave (always nice to put a face to a call sign). Had a few S2S (including Mark on Gummers How which was impressive on 2m. Nice to speak to someone on the right side of the Pennines whilst celebrating Yorkshire day :wink:). Also good to catch MS0TA contributing some Scottish extravagance to this thrifty day :wink:

PS it was remiss of me not to also congratulate the Hambleton net. They started the daily net in March last year to keep people in touch during COVID. Today they celebrated their 500th day without any breaks in that time. Congratulations and thanks for keeping us going during the lock downs and social distancing. I know some of the Yorkshire activators today will have worked them.

4 Likes