What Makes a Good CW Callsign?

I’m going to give the new callsign an airing tomorrow morning on G/DC-001 as there seems to be a nice weather window then. Will try HF SSB first then take a deep breath and try CW. :open_mouth: If all fails then it will be FM. :slight_smile:

Nice !
See you on frequencies John :wink:
73, Jarek

1 Like

Yes, and for car registrations.

1 Like

Congrats John…looking forward to getting you in my chaser and activator log.

73 Allan GW4VPX

1 Like

Aircraft callsigns (registrations, to use the correct term) are never reissued, certainly in the UK and I think it may be an ICAO requirement. Registrations can change - and often do when a new owner acquires the aircraft - but the old one is never used again.

1 Like

Re- issue of commercial callsigns:-

I don’t know about a/c. They certainly dit it (no pun), for ships. Queen Mary & later, QE2 both had the callsign GBTT

1 Like

Hi John

You may want to read this too:-

1 Like

The perfect call sign for me is one that is short in the suffix and has a good rhythm.

I always hear Manuel’s EA2_ DT. - I’m sure that’s part of his success.

73 Armin

2 Likes

Congratulations on putting another exam behind you. I think you made a good choice for someone surfing CW and we hope to work your call after taking our general exam and finish our Morse Code training. - KX2CWJ & KX2CWB

1 Like

Congratulations on the exam and new callsign. I was trying different suffixes that I hoped would be good for CW and ‘IEI’ made me think of the drum rhythm from Terminator 2 - Judgement day, so of course I choose it.

1 Like

Hi,
The most important, extremely important is:
You have a call sign that is easily remembered by the activator
a callsign that is very easily recognised
a callsign that causes the least possible errors .

M0MOO is a good one
another one that would be good is something like M0UU

An example of one that is not perfect is my own: ON4BCA in bad conditions it can be heard as ON4DCA
So: easy to remember, easily understood/heard avoid letters that can be confused with others or confused with abbrev used in qso.

Hope this helps
Patrick ON4BCA

2 Likes

I can say that a callsign ending in H is not a good one on cw, at least not for callers who reply with a S or a 5 instead. Whereas the A as an ending is very good.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

I was always surprised by Roy G4SSH (SK) call. When I saw it I thought “it’s all bleedin’ dots that, must be a pain to send.” Then I heard him call me for the 1st time when I was a CW novice and there was a huge pileup and realised the wonder of it. He always called a bit high in frequency not zero beat and amongst the wall of calls you could hear “di-di-dit di-di-dit di-di-di-dit” and then I realised the call and not being zero beat was worth an extra 1MW erp :slight_smile:

You are right about ending in H, you need to be a good operator like Roy and not a sloppy keyer like me.

4 Likes

Armin

Yes Manuel’s callsign is immediately recognisable because of his distinct spacing - as you mention. I like it and only need to hear a letter or two to know it is him!!

Many operators using keyers/paddles send the same. His sending is different.

1 Like

Congrats on the new callsign John. M0WIV rolls off the key very nicely.

I would have said don’t go for a callsign that ends in K. My UK call is GM4LGK - in weak signal conditions, was that GM4LGK or GM4LG … K (as in “go ahead, your turn to send”)?

The very worst CW callsign I ever had to handle was GXQQ back in my seafaring days. That one is the reason I changed from a hand key to an electronic keyer :grin: Go on, get your key out and try it. Incidentally it was a mouthful on voice as well “Golf Xray Quebec Quebec’” Truly horrible.

Hope to catch you on the bands some time John.

Bernard VK2IB

1 Like

I live with my call. Even its long because i use them 99% abroad like
EA8/HB9FIH SV8/HB9FIH SV5/HB9FIH I2/HB9FIH.
I feel Chasers had no problems to recognize also the activators when I am chasing.
Activations make usually with abt 5-10 Watts into a Fuchsantenna.
GL

1 Like

Not being the most active of activators, I only have a few calls from Roy in my log, but he made his call so very distinctive that you might say he was the exception to prove the rule…

I guess EI5SH or EI5HS could claim the full set. Wouldn’t envy either of them, but maybe they could make their sending as distinctive as Roy’s was…

1 Like

I chose my vanity callsign EA2IF for being short and conveniently quickly sent for DXing and CW contesting. When I started chasing SOTA I realised that it was nearly always impossible for me to send my callsign once and be picked up correctly righ away, so I started sending my callsign twice and at a lower speed than I was used to in order to let the less CW-skilled activators copy with comfort and I almost regretted having such short callsign.
After all this years, with so much SOTA activity on air and the Reflector, I’ve noticed that my callsign is a well known one and I’ve realised now that sending my callsign once at a much faster speed than the average speed of the other chasers in the pile up is far more successfull to me. This same technique of sending the callsign faster than the rest of the chasers in the pileup is also used by Manuel EA2DT with much success.
A short callsign has always been and still is a valuable treasure.

Guru

2 Likes

In 1992 got TA5ZA home call it was very fine Andrew :+1:
But my favorite was in Mauritania 1995 5T6E, definitely my best CW call :wink:
My difficult one was FK8KAA/P in New Caledonia 1982

73 Éric

1 Like

I had a QSO with Manuel yesterday. EA2DT also works well on SSB. :slight_smile: