Meaning of the suffix

Many callsigns have a suffix related to amateur radio: CW, DX,…

When I entered the data this morning, I noticed the letters in the suffix of the callsign. Many of them have in germany as abbreviation a fixed term, which everybody here knows and uses - often the abbreviations are used so much, that you first have to think what it actually stands for.

___LKW (LastKraftWagen) - truck
___FKK (Freie Körper Kultur) - nudism

Does this also exist in other countries?

There are of course many more letter combinations that mean fixed terms to me, but the meaning comes from my job and is not generally used.

In any case they have (for me) a high recognition value. Do you feel the same way?

73 Armin

3 Likes

Hi Armin,One thing we may not easily notice is the meanning in a different language. This is something I always think on when I copy our dear SOTA fellow F8FEO, because “FEO” in Spanish means UGLY.
I have also heard sometimes the suffix ANO, which in Spanish means ASS HOLE.
This sort of coincidences may also happen with many other suffixes around the World.
It will be fun if you bring them here.

Guru - EA2IntermediateFrequency

2 Likes

Hi Armin, In my case: GV -> Gran Visir del reino de Granada (Spanish), Translated Prime Minister of Granada Kingdom.
73 de José Prime Minister :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

“GV” means here in police speech and protocols: GeschlechtsVerkehr = “Sexual intercourse” :upside_down_face:

73 Armin

2 Likes

is better than ruling a country :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

My Australian Callsign - VK2 JI is unfortunate as JI is the abbreviation of a Terrorist Group in Asia! - But when one can get ANY 2 letter suffix in NSW, you grab it. Of course, the German call has a link back to the 50 - 80’s music world with DD5 LP (but I prefer to have LP indicate Long Path propagation rather than Long Playing record).

73 Ed.

1 Like

Matt @G8XYJ also holds the callsign 2E0XTL and was known in his locality as “The Crystal Kid”.

3 Likes

in Czech langauge ANO means YES :wink:

My suffix MA means in Polish language HAS (he, she) :wink:

73, Jarek

1 Like

Having a callsign which ends in K or even BK is a bit of a beggar in CW under marginal condx…but you learn to live with it. In my day you couldn’t choose your callsign - the UK government / post office as it was, gave you the next one in the alphabetical line.

de G4OBK

4 Likes

I’m Dutch speaking, but indeed , I seem to remember F5LKW easiest in German , so “Lastkraftwagen” , hi.

For my own call, to Spanish friends I tell them it’s Don Quijote … in the US they have no problem with Dairy Queen (Ice Cream and Hamburgers) or Delta Queen (steamboat on the MIssissippi) …
Luc ON7DQ

2 Likes

It has often been pointed out to me that my suffix is Attention Deficit Disorder. No, I don’t suffer from i…I’ve got to mow the lawn today.

4 Likes

Ha! Yes, I have historically struggled greatly with your call. Not so much in understanding the QSO, more so the sending rhythm and my brain getting confused. I think it’s because I’m good at doing the same things over and over again, it’s almost like muscle memory, and that causes a brief conflict with your call sign! I seem to have mastered the problem these days thankfully :slight_smile:

73, Colin

2 Likes

I’ve been told my suffix refers to One Nice Lad…(which of course, is entirely correct) :slightly_smiling_face:

73, Victor GI4ONL

6 Likes

As a little boy my dream was to become a marconist. At the end of the primary school I told my father what profession I had in mind. His answer was that all sailors went to ‘The Bad Women’ so the answer was NO. I had no idea about ‘Bad Women’. Many years later I worked 23 years on the North Sea in the offshore industry and with our yacht we sailed many years every summer on sea. From that yacht I made many QSO’s, so my dream became true. Therefore you hear in my call the Seven Seas (sea in Dutch is zee)
73 de geert pa7zee

8 Likes

My suffix has no meaning - except to me. Callsign GYU was the Royal Navy Communications station in Gibraltar :palm_tree:I used it in the Ship/Shore room for most of my 18 months in 1971/72 We used 4, 8 & 12mhz - The TXs used about 7kw!! :skull_and_crossbones:, the Aerial was on top of the rock. :mountain:

Now I am limited to 10w :smiley:

4 Likes

Only till you pass the next stage of the licence.

1 Like

My suffix implies I’m a pirate.

13 Likes

M1EYP “Educates Young People”

2 Likes

YYY: a song by Tom Jones from 1968

1 Like

not only on 19 September :pirate_flag: :grimacing:

73 Armin

1 Like