What about sharing GPS tracks to the SOTA summits

In reply to DM1CM:

“Unfortunately the User Manuals nowadays hardly give any information
about the technical aspects and algorithms used.” - well, I wasn’t
expecting to find any trade secrets there :wink:
Of course nobody expects to find an in depth description of all algorithms used. But a more detailed explanation of the possible settings would be fine, especially when reading the manual before (or without) purchase as you do.
The manual only tells you of the three modes Distance, Time and Auto. The only information about Auto is “to record tracks at a variable rate to create an optimum representation of your tracks.”
The description of the interval parameter only gives general advice. Where distance and time are quite self explaining, the settings in auto mode could have been described in more detail. The options “most often, more often, normal, less often, least often” are quite vague.

In fact I am running auto with normal interval. This generates about the double number of points I finally upload to SMP.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to DM1CM:

So, I’m going to make a special plea to those OM’s who are recording
tracks for the SMP, using GPS devices which have a setting for “track
recording interval” - do please set this to something reasonable
like “10 (20?) meters”, “30 (60?) feet”, “30 seconds”, “Less Often”,
or similar to reduce the amount of information recorded.

I have to say that I disagree with this. You can always discard superfluous data later, but you cannot add it if it was not recorded in the first place.

I always set my GPS to record as much detail as it can. A “day out” is typically only around half a megabyte, even in the dreadfully bulky GPX format, and that’s not a lot these days. Tiny compared with the photos I take!

ISTM that you are asking for “tracks” but you actually want “routes”. I think of a track as having detail of what you actually did, possibly including wrong turnings and other diversions. A route on the other hand is a carefully selected set of points intended to help somebody else do substantially the same walk. Turning one into the other is likely to be a manual task, though a filtering algorithm may give an acceptable approximation.

Martyn M1MAJ

In reply to M1MAJ:

You’re absolutely right that I’m asking for routes: but I would guess that nobody has such a thing. Instead, they do have GPS-recorded tracks of where they’ve been, including all the little excursions to take a photo, tie their boot laces, set up an antenna, whatever. And, as you say, the level of detail recorded by the GPS unit can be set to maximum to record a mass of data - but to what end? Who needs such detail, and what are they going to do with it?

“I always set my GPS to record as much detail as it can. A ‘day out’ is typically only around half a megabyte, even in the dreadfully bulky GPX format, and that’s not a lot these days. Tiny compared with the photos I take!” All well and good, but the SMP database is not intended to be a repository of your, or anybody else’s, megabytes of data.

The SMP “Tracks” page was, and is, intended to provide a place where people can upload “tracks” (my word, intentionally vague) which others can use as a general guide to help them plan a trip up to a summit with which they may not be familiar. Note the words “general guide”: an overview, nothing more, of a route to be taken. For such a thing, masses of detail are unnecessary and potentially misleading. An ideal route, track, waypath, call it what you will, featured in the page would consist of no more than a couple of hundred points to mark out the path to be taken. This path will often, but not always, follow some set of easily-identifiable features on the ground: a path or trail, a forest boundary, a stone wall, a mountain ridge. These features make it easier to construct a mental picture of where the route is going/should be going. If such a feature doesn’t exist, then the “track notes” should make clear what the potential activist should do in such a situation. Several thousand points marked on a little glowing screen are no substitute for proper navigational skills with map, compass, being well-prepared (study an SMP track before you set off, for instance ;-)), and a dash of good common sense.

So, SMP “tracks” are intended to be used ONLY as general guides to plan routes, and not to be used as primary navigation aids as in the following scary scenario: arrive at the car park (guided by satnav, naturally), step out of the vehicle and switch on the GPS unit, slavishly follow symbols and directions on the GPS screen without once looking around to see where you’re going, get to summit, activate, return to vehicle following GPS, etc. No skill required, totally safe (you wish!), what’s the point?

I said earlier that nobody has such a thing as a GPS route, since these are rare indeed. However, the Tracks page has tools to enable the user to create such a route, so all is not lost. Let’s say you know of a really nice route up hill XYZ and you want to share it with others. You open the SMP Tracks page, set up the map to show your hill, activate the “Draw Track” options, and away you go: draw a few points, a few dozen, a few hundred points if you will, using the map in the background as a reference, and also your knowledge of where the route goes (you’ve been there, right?). So a track is built up and then you save it to the system. Somebody else comes along who wants to climb hill XYZ, looks at the track you created and thinks that would be a really good route to take to the summit, helped of course by the comments you have saved along with the route. They might even download your track as a GPX file, save that to their GPS unit and use it while ascending hill XYZ - but they would use that GPX-derived route only as a rough guide to ascertain whether they have strayed a long way off the intended route. The GPX-derived route must not be used in such a way as to replace or supplant the map-navigation which the activist should be using.

"ISTM that you are asking for “tracks” but you actually want “routes”. I think of a track as having detail of what you actually did, possibly including wrong turnings and other diversions. A route on the other hand is a carefully selected set of points intended to help somebody else do substantially the same walk. " - I’m well aware of the differences in meaning between the words “track” and “route” as defined in the GPX file format (see e.g. the section in the SMP Help file http://sotamaps.wsstvc.org/tracks.php?z1=h&z2=i), but I wanted to avoid using the word “route” as much as possible to avoid any connection to, or confusion with, Google Maps Routes, which are very different animals. These latter are incidentally featured in the SMP “Range” page…

Finally, although I built into the page a “Upload GPX file” option, I didn’t expect it to be used at all, but it has quickly become the favourite - dare I say “standard” - method of adding tracks to the system!

HTH, 73
Rob
DM1CM

In reply to DM1CM:

Hi all,
I read the last posts about intentionally reducing GPS track precision and I think I got your point Rob.
Anyway, I don’t agree totally with you. Having a very detailed track can be extremely useful in case of troubles during the activation. In my personal experience I’ve been on several summits surrounded by dense fog and I really wish I had a detailed GPS track to rely on. I know that a GPS track can’t and must not be your only navigation/orientation device but let’s be honest, not everyone is able to find a track using a map and a compass during a storm or in the fog.
For these reasons I believe you should keep the original GPX files uploaded by users with their original precision.
If the database load is an issue, as I understand, then you could reduce the precision loading the file to database but leave the full precision file available for download.

Oh, by the way, thanks for the fantastic work you’re doing with the SOTA mapping section.

73 de IZ1KSW - Gabriele

I really wish I had a detailed GPS track to rely on.

Hi all,

to have a very detailed GPS track does not necessarily mean that it also is very precise.
After going up and down exactly the same path I very often find that the recorded tracks are not identical. The reason might be a less than optimal position of the GPS antenna or a reduced satellite coverage, shading from trees, mountains etc.
Therefore, even a very detailed track never can be a substitute for a lack of navigational possibilities/skills and would not increase safety under adverse conditions.

VY 73 Martin DF3MC

In reply to DM1CM:
“I said earlier that nobody has such a thing as a GPS route, since these are rare indeed.”

Hi Rob.

I would actually prefer to upload my routes rather than tracks - if there is a quick way (must get around to reading your help guide)! I start off a walk with my own plotted route and then record my track which I download to Memory Map once home. I then compare the two whilst it’s fresh in my mind - I adjust my route for future walks where I know the paths have differed from the map or I chose a better route on the descent, but I do not alter any part where I know I made a navigational error (in a bad way). This way my improved ‘route’ is ready to download for my next walk and my track stays recorded for reference. (Fortunately I recently upgraded my PC and hard drive space is not a problem).

Great resource by the way, although I hope people still do plenty of research before/after selecting a track - I find that invaluable to imprint the map features/views I can expect to see so my walk can seem quite familiar even the first time round.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Karen
2E0XYL

I tried uploading a track to the SOTA mapping project and it requires a password. Where do I get this password? I didn’t notice use of passwords anywhere else on the site nor provision to register for one.

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

Hi Barry, click on the “?” button in the “Save Imported GPX File…” dialog, and another dialog opens where you can apply for the password.

" I didn’t notice use of passwords anywhere else on the site nor provision to register for one. " - No other part of the Mapping Project NEEDS a password…

HTH, 73,
Rob
DM1CM

In reply to DM1CM:

Thanks Rob, track successfully uploaded. I will started uploading tracks regularly there as well as on everytrail.com

Seems to work well, although a feet/miles display option (elevation profile) would be nice if possible at some point.

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

Feet/miles or meters/km already in the plan…

Rob

In reply to DM1CM:

Rob thats a great facility. I remember posting my gpx files as test files within the summit pages with mixed results…they seemed to get corrupted over time.

73 & thanks,
Tom, N2YTF

I’ve taken the liberty today of deleting the descent portions of a number of tracks in the list of uploaded tracks in the SMP, where the descent portion of the tracks is identical to the ascent portions.

Hopefully, we will begin to see fewer such tracks - where the descent portion of the tracks is identical to the ascent portions - as users become used to the oft-stated requirements for uploaded tracks.

Rob
DM1CM

Just tried to upload my track and got this:

Insert header: SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column ‘gpx_file_zipped’ in ‘field list’

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

Whoops! Sorry, Barry - seems my slip is showing…

Try it again when you have a chance, it should be OK now.

Rob
DM1CM

In reply to DM1CM:
The new track display is very neat, especially the feature to explore the height profile with the red point wandering around on the track.
Thanks for your effort.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to DB7MM:

Hi Michael, I’m glad you like it. The wandering coloured point unfortunately doesn’t always work 100% and at the moment I don’t know why exactly, although I suspect it’s down to Javascript’s asynchronous program-flow, or some internal timing issue. Not important though…

73, Rob
DM1CM

In reply to DM1CM:

Try it again when you have a chance, it should be OK now.

Thanks Rob - upload went okay. But the horizontal axis on the elevation profile is off - it only shows a total distance of 3Km for my 12Km track (vertical axis is okay).

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

Barry, got that sorted now; also removed the descent portion of the track, which simply took the same route as the ascent portion (see comments in this and other threads on this topic). I’m sure you’ll agree that duplication of data is simply a waste of disk space and bandwidth…

73, Rob
DM1CM

In reply to DB7MM:

"The new track display is very neat, especially the feature to explore the height profile with the red point wandering around on the track. "

• this seems to be running better now, after a few small changes. If you’re interested, there’s also a zoom function in the profiles chart - click and drag horizontally in the chart to to zoom into a portion of the track.

73, Rob
DM1CM

Waypoints mark the track.

Waypoints are user selected and labelled for trailhead, road-walk, campsite, exposed ridge (narrow trail), precipice, no trail. Viewpoints.

I suggest waypoints.

I would like to see interactivity with the SOTA map, by having downloadable offline 7.5 series detail shaded topographic maps with directions to “summit”.

Approved accessory GPS include Orange Gadgets iGPS360 and Emprum UltiMate GPS (Apple 30-pin connector; Emprum UltiMate GPS has a “Lightning” connector option), Bad Elf (“Lightening” connector) Dual XGPS150A and Dual XGPS160 SkyPro GPS (Bluetooth) the Dual XGPS160 SkyPro GPS will empower five Bluetooth devices at the same time and has almost universal compatibility.

I prefer MotionX GPS app.

The Topo Maps app has downloadable maps for offline use and is interactive with Panoramascope: Augmented Reality that shows hills and peaks in profile. I hope that Panoramascope app down last week from the App Store is back.

These two apps are the most realistic route-finding apps, for actual route-finding skills.

In addition, onX Hunt app has public and private property, with the name of the property owner and if there is public access for hunting.

I take access as access.

I might wear brightly colored clothing, perhaps my brightly colored yellow-green bicycle vest.

In UK, you might consider marking property permission required.

There are other apps having downloadable offline maps: GPS Trails LE, Maps 3D, and Topo Maps + (different app).