What about sharing GPS tracks to the SOTA summits

I guess many activators use a GPS that can record their tracks to the summits as .gpx files.

Many internet sites propose to store and share .gpx files. One of them is http://www.wikiloc.com/ .

Would it be be a good idea to identify such a site (ideally free and not vendor specific) and to suggest to activators to upload their tracks to the summits, so that the next activators could benefit from their experience ?

I would suggest that we could use such a site like Flickr: The SOTA Pool is used as the “de facto” repository of
SOTA pictures.

What do you think ?

73 de ON6ZQ
Christophe

In reply to ON6ZQ:
Hi Christophe,

This facility is already in the sota mapping website. I’ve uploaded several with route descriptions.

Gerald
MW0WML

ON6ZQ de G4OBK

Hello Christophe,

We already have the facility to store GPX files as part of the SOTA Mapping Project http://sotamaps.wsstvc.org/index.php conceived by Rob DM1CM.

I have uploaded a few GPX tracks there myself to test the system out. I put two on for G/NP-003 today. I don’t think there is a better place to save tracks specific to SOTA, and there is no charge!

I’m still having a problem with downloading my own GPX tracks back to myself from the SOTA Mapping Project and getting them to work again and find the same with others GPX tracks which won’t load into some specific software I use, but the GPX downloads work OK with UK OS Anquet Mapping at least, but not with OS Getamap or my old version of OS Memory Map. It seems a little hit and miss for me, but I need to spend more time experimenting with the system and study the help files provided by Rob. The GPX files are zipped and I am wondering if that is something to do with why I can’t use them universally.

Give it a go, study the FAQs and see what you think.

73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

Phil, I’ve updated the GPX export routines in the Mapping Project so that the output files are now fully GPX v1.1 compliant - what with one thing and another, I just kept forgetting to attend to this… :wink:

Try again, when you have time, to download one or two to see whether they are accepted by your software.

Thanks, 73
Rob
DM1CM

In reply to thread:-

MM0FMF wrote :-

"3 activators have been asked to produce evidence by the MT that they were where they claimed. This was only after the MT received regular input that the claims were in some way dubious. We will not identify these people…

…The third activator professes not to own a camera but has submitted GPS track logs of their activations instead."

Does this mean this form of “proof of whereabouts” is now redundant due to the many track download sites mentioned here?

73 G1INK sat in IO93BG drinking coffee, may be out later if it`s dry.

In reply to G1INK:
Using a GPS track as proof of activation is a pretty weak check. Anyone can download a GPS track and change the date with a text editor.
Also picture’s EXIF data are easily editable but at least you can see that at a given point in time, the activator was on the summit (maybe years ago) :frowning:

In reply to DM1CM:

Thanks Rob - I’ll do some more experiments this evening when I have some free time. This is a really worthwhile part of the mapping project, most useful for those of us who may activate outside the home country.

On another topic - its a shame it appears that some people are cheating themselves within SOTA, but if accusations are made in confidence then these need to be looked into in whatever way the MT decide.

73 Phil

i just checked the sota-mapping-tool and will upload future gpx-files there!

just one thing … is it possible to include openstreetmaps/opencyclemaps to the project? for hiking these maps are more helpful than the google maps.

vy73 de martin
www.oe5reo.at

i just checked the sota-mapping-tool and will upload future gpx-files there!

just one thing … is it possible to include openstreetmaps/opencyclemaps to the project? for hiking these maps are more helpful than the google maps.

vy73 de martin
www.oe5reo.at

In reply to DM1CM:
Yes Rob, That should be the solution. From my tests the Getamap site that Phil uses doesn’t process GPX 1.0 and only GPX 1.1

In fact just down loading Phil’s track and changing four zeros to 1 without any other changes makes the file readable by Getamap.
73 Jim G0CQK

In reply to G0CQK:

"changing four zeros to 1 without any other changes makes the file readable by Getamap. " - An intelligent piece of software! However, there are a number of differences in the headers between the formats which have now been implemented. Including replacing some zeros with ones! :slight_smile:

G4OBK Phil: “This is a really worthwhile part of the mapping project…” - does this mean the rest of it isn’t worthwhile? :wink:

Rob

In reply to OE5REO:

Martin, there have been no plans to include the openstreetmaps / opencyclemaps in the Mapping Project, but I am aware of the possibility of including them into Google maps. This can be achieved by using the OpenStreetMaps map “tiles” to replace those from Google.

I’ll look into it…

73, Rob
DM1CM

In reply to OE5REO:

Martin, both OpenStreetMaps and OpenCycleMaps have now been incorporated in the Mapping Project as available map types. Just look for the new controls in the upper right-hand corner of the map.

And, yes: you’re right, these map types are often better then those from Google for hiking!

HTH, 73, Rob
DM1CM

In reply to DM1CM:

thank you rob …

In reply to DM1CM:

Well Rob - I’m glad you put the raised eyebrow in your comment ! The project is all good.

Your GPX version fix worked for me in the tests I have now completed, in regard to downloading GPX tracks which I can now execute in 3 versions of computer mapping software: Memory Map (OS), Anquet (OS)and GetaMap (OS). The comments and knowledge from Jim G0CQK were helpful. I know Jim is quite a “mapper” himself and understands the details in the system better than I do.

I also put the mapping project to good use by using the Range facility when working out where to book my next holiday(s). Most holidays have some SOTA in them where possible! This a ANOTHER really worthwile part of the mapping project Rob :wink:

Now I have to pick over my many (mostly UK) GPX tracks which I have saved on the computer and decide which ones I would recommend to my friends as likely routes to take to the summits. These I will upload over time. The ones where I struggled or went wrong and where I believe there is a better alternative route I will forget about hihi. I hope other activators who use GPS will also do the same, I’m pleased that some of the gaps are being filled. I would suggest this is something to do when the weather is bad, you can’t go out activating and there is nothing to chase.

73 and thank you very much for your enthusiasm and help,

Phil

PS The Open Street and Open Cycle Map alternative is an excellent addition!

In reply to G4OBK:

Updated the OpenMaps controls in the Mapping Project, so that five different OpenMaps map types are now available, in addition to the two Google vanilla types. You may need to hit the refresh button in the browser to see the new controls layout.

Rob
DM1CM

In reply to DM1CM:
Thanks for another great addition to the SOTA Mapping Project. I have plenty of GPX files to feed into the system. It would be great if there was something on the pop-up summit information windows to indicate that a track was available for a summit.

It’s really great that the GPX upload facility is getting more use, but I’d like to make this special plea to those considering using it.

If the track you are uploading records both the ascent, and descent via the same route, please make a special effort to do one of the following:

• edit the file to remove the descent stage of the track (there are online tools available for this);

• if you plan to make your descent via the same route you used to make your ascent, turn off the recorder on your GPS unit for the descent stage.

In this way, we save on database-/disk-space and bandwidth, avoid duplication of information, etc.

Thanks and 73,
Rob
DM1CM

And now, for those who like multi-colored sugar sprinkles on their cake, the Mapping Project now features a switchable Panoramio Layer*!

View Panoramio photos of summits and their surroundings from the comfort of your chasing armchair!!

Be the envy of all the other OM’s!!!

Rob
DM1CM

• small print: only available at higher zoom levels, which is where it makes most sense anyway ;-)…

In reply to KI4SVM:

" It would be great if there was something on the pop-up summit information windows to indicate that a track was available for a summit."

Implemented…

Rob