Trans-Pacific S2S QSO Party 17 April 2021 2100-2300z

As there has been some talk over another attempt at a Trans-Pacific S2S QSO Party (thanks JP3PPL for the idea), I suggest we have a go over the same weekend as 2020 i.e. 17 April 2100-2300z (hopefully without Covid rearing its ugly head this time). This is Saturday afternoon in North America and Sunday morning for Asia/Oceania.

Personally I have found 17m in particular and 20m good for JA/USA qsos over recent weeks while on activations so there should be every chance of a successful event.

Please respond in this thread with your interest.

Mark ZL3AB

8 Likes

A party that doesn’t involve me being around actual people, or small talk of any kind?

Count me in! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I can see me having a hard night at work that night. :smile:

Malen
VE6VID

2 Likes

Count me in too. 17m should be good from here to NA.

2 Likes

I’m in!

Note: Back on 21 Jan 2021 I was activating W7U/TO-063.

At about 2100Z I heard ZL4RA on 15M activating a summit. I wasn’t able to working him for an S2S though.

ZL1BYZ was able to successfully chase from his home station on 20M.

2 Likes

Yes sounds good to me too.
VK1DA

2 Likes

Yes, I too will make an attempt.
Grant VK4JAZ

2 Likes

Oh yeah! 17m Half Square should do nicely. @K6ARK will probably have stacked 4 over 4 yagis so I won’t need much gain :wink:
73 Geoff ZL3GA

3 Likes

I will join.
It will be broadcast from the summit 30 minutes from home.
I only care about the weather.

2 Likes

Nice! I’m in

2 Likes

Of course everyone can participate. It is not exclusive to S2S. But an important detail for NA activators, surely you will have many local calls, for this reason I recommend that at certain times you stop the pileup and ask for S2S

4 Likes

Good idea. On these occasions, net discipline is very important. Naturally we would all like to work everyone, but priority is given to dx S2S.

3 Likes

Sounds great!

73, Barry N1EU/7 (Oregon)

2 Likes

How about going beyond priority and focusing 100% on Asia and Oceania s2s with the Americas? I plan to search & pounce exclusively during those two hours. I have been doing only S & P since the virus lockdown a year ago, scoring about 5,200 s2s points during that year. If we all do that, then we need to designate CW frequencies on 17 and 20 well away from the digital folks, such as 18.089-90 and 14.050-51, and call “CQ Sota dx s2s”. The problem with going higher is the Feld Hell Sprint overlapping the first hour of the proposed trans-pac s2s. They are the only serious competition that day, and they recommend that their members stay above 14.070 and 18.095, with a limit of 100 watts and width of 500 cycles. On the occasions when I heard them below 14.070, they devastated nearby freq’s.

Contest calendar: WA7BNM Contest Calendar: 12-Month Calendar

If you post an alert, maybe say “DX s2s ONLY”? Several of us have already alerted.

Elliott, K6EL

4 Likes

Sounds reasonable to me. Have worked VK and ZL s2s in previous years events. Need a JA s2s!

So peak TBD…

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A

2 Likes

I will join this S2S QSO Party, thanks for the event.

3 Likes

Great to see a number of alerts up for the QSO party already.

I am planning a half square antenna for 17m which looks like it will be the money band.

Anyone planning anything more exotic?

Mark ZL3AB

2 Likes

I’m planning two V beams, one aimed at VK/ZL… the other aimed at JA. Both optimized for 17m.

2 Likes

For s2s with VK/ZL, three element wire beam (inverted V with fabric web boom), and EFHW for JA… Got one telescopic pole at 43 feet, shopping for another. Also, praying for no wind, as that de-tunes the beam. Fifty watts.

Elliott, K6EL

2 Likes

17m and 20m Half Squares, KX2 and KXPA100 at 50W on a very “quiet” hill (RF and people-wise). Looking forward to it!
Geoff ZL3GA

1 Like