Trans-Pacific S2S QSO Party 18th April 2020 2100-2300Z

Hi Huawei,

at times this morning your signal on 20m came up to s5 on the meter, on your first summit. Then the signal gradually sank back to near the noise level, but almost always good copy here in southeast Australia. Great to work you on two summits this morning.

Andrew
vk1da and vk2uh

Barry, I’m glad we could complete that QSO. There was a slow fade on your signal but you came up.

After listening to the beacons for several days it didn’t occur to me while on the summit. Good reminder!

I never heard anything on Huawei’s 20 meter frequency and am not surprised. Conditions seemed rather poor here. John, ZL1BYZ, makes his own propagation and called me on 20. Thanks!

It was a good day for S2S.

David N6AN

Dear Barry,
Thanks for this s2s event, unfortunately I can’t not copy your call. My radio is TS-480hx which could deliver 200W output with large battery. However the summits is limited because of the rig weight.
I an planning to get a multi-band antenna system for my SOTA activations, then I could choose a better propagation band to do QSO flexibly.
I think another approach is using the FT8 mode, it might increase Trans-Ocean S2S QSO successful rate.
Cheers,
Huawei

Dear Andrew,
I am also happy to work with you on two summits as well. These are easy double summits in a raw in Taipei and also are good points. Thanks for the receiving reports.

Cheers,
Huawei

1 Like

My plans got a bit off track and I was between summits for most of the 2100 - 2300 period. I did get a bunch of stateside S2S but no others. LIstened for Huawei on 14.064 and once heard some extremely faint ESP but not enough to be sure if it was BX2AI or someone else. Did get ZL1BYZ in the log on 15m on the first summit and 12m and 15m on the second, also worked 3D2AG on 10m on the second, but no Trans-Pacific S2S this year. Already looking forward to trying it again next year!
Keith KR7RK

No luck for me. When I approached to the first summit, I found message that all parks are closed, and I saw police, patrolled that area. It is not the park, but open space preserve, and there are wide road to easy maintain social distance. I am disappointed that local health authorities don’t understand that physical activity helps to fight coronavirus. When I went to an alternative summit in the King Range Conservation area, I expected that only campgrounds are closed, but the closure notice stated that the whole 24 miles rarely visited Lost Coast Trail is closed. I should select summits in Sierras. Sierras mountains are open for the public access as I know.

1 Like

Getting an S2S with @JP3PPL remains one of my favorite SOTA contacts

1 Like

Yes! And thank you very much for the QSL card! Have you received my QSL card? (Sorry for the VERY humble card!!!)
73 de JP3PPL

1 Like

I definitely got it! I scanned it and it is in my DX collection on my website

https://www.km3alpha.com/dx-qsl-gallery.html

I was so happy getting that S2S. I like contacts with all chasers, but getting an S2S is always really great but a DX S2S tops everything.

I have a few memorable SOTA contacts

• @ZL1BYZ was my first SOTA DX when I was operating on Vetter Mountain - W6/CT-021
    -@EA2LU was my first SOTA DX to Europe
    -@WW7D is my furthest distance per watt - approx 1000 miles on 1/3 watt - W6/SC-460
    -@SA4BLM, @ON4VT, and @G4OBK on 5W different summits really surprised me

and of course our S2S!!! Like I said that is one of my most memorable contacts to date.

1 Like

Nice DX conditions that day:

1 Like

You’re welcome !
With improving conditions I hope to log you a few more times in the future !

73 Danny ON4VT

1 Like

Hello everyone. Any plans to try the Trans-Pacific S2S Party this year?

No country is short in these, unfortunately. But it’s something we have to live with.
We have different restrictions in each of the 17 Spain’s Autonomous Communities, but I find annoying that Madrid is having their several millions of people under restrictions, while allowing hundreds of French youngsters flying in to participate in illegal parties over the weekends…
Would you say the French youngsters coming in are the stupid ones or the Madrid politicians letting them in each and every weekend?

Cheers,

Guru

1 Like

Yes.

3 Likes

I’m in! Let’s do it!

2 Likes

Cool! Approximate date?

I’m in as well. Time for a new thread…

3 Likes

The April 2021 event has its own thread now: Trans-Pacific S2S QSO Party 17 April 2021 2100-2300z

1 Like

I’ve locked this thread to stop new posts for the 2021 event accidentally ending up in here. If anyone desperately needs to add a comment to this thread, PM me and I’ll unlock it for you.

1 Like