Trans-Pacific S2S QSO Party 17 April 2021 2100-2300z

I have a plan for this event with a local 1 point summit.
Can take fT891 with a few more watts to this one I can drive up to the top.
Can play data modes too.
vk5cz …

3 Likes

Will take part in this event as well. Looking for a quiet drive up summit and if the weather permits may even camp overnight so as to have a good bash at some DX.

Cheers, Wal VK2WP

4 Likes

Just a reminder the Trans Pacific QSO party is on next weekend.

A great opportunity for those on the Pacific Rim to work some serious S2S DX (none of this working the USA from Western Europe marlarky).

Also guaranteed to be more fun than doing the ironing - you heard it here first.

Mark ZL3AB

4 Likes

I am in! Not sure yet which summit but I will plan to be activating around 22:00.

Paul Mower
VA6MPM

2 Likes

My plans for this day have had to change as I am departing that day on a trip to visit family in VK4, about 1200 km away. I plan to activate VK2/CT001 around 0300 UTC on the 18th, to try for s2s contacts back into vk1 on 144 and 1296, but will also be on HF. If I’m there earlier I’ll obviously listen for trans-Pacific contacts.

NA activators: 1700 utc is equivalent to 3AM local time in Eastern Australia and 5AM in ZL. Unless they camp overnight on summit, a more likely time for VK1/2/3/4/7 activators to be able to be on air is 2000-2100. Dawn is between 2000 and 2100 and in the vk1 area, temperatures at that time of day are around 1C at present. Ie. about 34 of the other sort of degrees.
In JA they are coming out of winter but local time is similar.

Look at the alerts.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

4 Likes

I propose to schedule next Trans-Pacific event around equinox. In this case, stations from Southern and Northern hemispheres will be in similar conditions. I will try to participate in the event this year during my trip to Arizona with 50 w and verticals or dipoles (propagation dependent),

2 Likes

I will be on a W6 summit; not sure which one yet. So far I have only logged one Trans-Pacific S2S. Here is hoping I can at least double my total.

2 Likes

Had to call off my Sunday morning summit which will be close to end of the utc day for 17th. Hugh can only make it for SOTA our Saturday 17th but it will be start of that utc day.
regards Ian vk5cz …

1 Like

I will be doing at least one summit tomorrow, maybe 2. Just depends on the road i am driving in on. My First summit is alerted already and I’m about 80% confident i’ll have cell to check other spots to listen for you all on the West side of the pond.
de N6JFD

3 Likes

Unfortunately a family commitment has meant I’ve had to pull the pin on my activation tomorrow.
Good luck to all taking part. i look forward to reading the activation reports!

Mark ZL3AB

1 Like

Planning to be on W7W/WE-012 with N7MCB from 2100z to 2300z. 20/30/40/80 linked dipole. Good luck to all the activators. Go slow, 3rd CW activation. Good spacing please!

2 Likes

I will be on W7W WE-021 Looks like Sunny weather too! Kris

1 Like

Kris: I’ll be on Quartz WE-012 if you to get a 2m S2S.

Thanks to Minoru JL1NIE/7 for providing my lone trans-pacific s2s, with solid copy both ways on 20M. His signal was quite good in southern Oregon.

I had solid copy on these stations, but they weren’t hearing me: 20M JF1NDT/1, JA8MHA, JS1UEH/7 and 17M VK2IO.

Although my attention was mostly on tuning for trans-pacific signals, I did manage s2s with VA6MPM and K7PY. I was in the middle of working K7ATN when his signal suddenly disappeared.

Look forward to the next one with hopefully better propagation. Judging by my RBN spots, conditions were about as poor as I’ve ever seen, short of a total blackout . . . we simply had bad luck this time.

I was running 10W on KX2 with simple, well elevated wire antennas.

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU
W7O/CS-157

2 Likes

All things considered it went better than i expected here in Arizona today for the Trans Pacific event.

Worked ZL1BYZ on 10, 12, and 15 meters. PRETTY GOOD SIGNALS. Made 30 s2s QSOs…all USA other than the ZL contacts.

Never heard a VK or JA…and I was watching pretty closely for them.

So had some fun but no JA, which I was really hoping for.

Tnx to all the Activators for a bucket load of S2S contacts today!

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A/YV-175

2 Likes

Thanks for the S2S on 60M, Pete!
Yes, the DX S2S was an absolute blast; will not miss the next one.
The amount of participation says it all!
Worked John, ZL1BYZ on 12 meters.

1 Like

My plan was to activate from 2200 to 0230 UTC, but I finished setting up at 2215 and immediately worked JL1NIE on 20 and VK2IO on 17 and ZL3GA on 17, just as VOACAP promised. Fifty watts to a doublet. No use sitting around for 4 more hours just to gild the lily and go through the agony of setting up a 3 element wire beam in the wind. I used to brag that the way I hear using two stages of DSP should be illegal, but I heard nothing from BX8AAD. I’ll have to find something else to brag about.

EL

3 Likes

Well, that was a blast!!
Thanks for the TransPacific S2S Elliot K6EL and David N6AN on 17m, it was certainly the money-band across the pond. I used a Half Square and 10W from the KX2 (the planned KXPA100 faulted…)
Other DX: Japan and more S2S fun with ZL and VK activators.
Thanks everyone who took part - see you next time.
Geoff ZL3GA

3 Likes

Despite the terrible propagation, noise at the summit (meteorological station) and impossible to verify spots (miraculously a couple of times I was able to verify and send spots), I could say it was a successful T / Pacific S2S QSO Party (BV- YB -VK-ZL-JA)
Unfortunately, I was not able to work with activators from the US.
Surely the next Party will be better.
73 and thanks to the all activators and chasers

3 Likes

A last minute choice found me on 4020 or W6/CT-158 which overlooks the northeast corner of the San Fernando valley and has a FB takeoff to the southwest. My 30’ Spiderbeam pole happened to be in the car so I rigged up the 44’ doublet fed with CAT5 twisted pair at about 27’. The inverted vee was broadside to VK/ZL. My KX3 was tied to my backpack to create a bit of a radio stand. Cellphone coverage was spotty so self spotting was a challenge.
It was a thrill to work ZL1BYZ on 17 meters. We managed QSOs on 15, 12 and 10 meters, each with a better signal strength. Then I heard ZL3GA for a second S2S. Super!
I had been chasing VK2IO and finally heard him well enough to call on 17. But I had to up the power from 5 to 12 watts. Thanks for my first SOTA QSO with my birth country!
A number of NA S2S QSOs were made including VE6 and VE7.
On UHF before packing up Scott, WA9STI, reminded me that the gate at the bottom of the summit road is locked at 6 PM and reopened at 8 AM. He asked if I’d packed my toothbrush. Well, I hustled to pack up and made it out just in time. There was a fire department pick-up truck on the descent with me. I bet their job was to install the padlock.
Thanks for all the S2S contacts and chases. I can only imagine what these events are like when the SFI is over 100 or higher.
73, David N6AN

3 Likes