SOTLAS (SOTA Atlas) – New summit map

Vy nice tool. Nice to see all the summits in one map. Also the stats for activators with graphs are vy nice. Vy usefull. Thanks for the effort. I will use it quite a lot.
Maybe in the future an app for the smartphone ?

Good luck, 73. Tonnie de PA9CW

1 Like

Hi Tonnie - simply access the website from your Smartphone browser - the pages reformat to fit a smart phone screen. In fact it also now has menu items to look at spots and alerts (with filtering on the spots). This is starting to be a “swiss army” tool (I suppose given where the author is located - that makes a lot of sense!)

Thanks Manuel !!

73 Ed DD5LP.

5 Likes

Thank you very much, Manuel, and congratulations for this amazing tool you’ve created and given us.

Guru

1 Like

Fantastic resource, thank you so much Manuel.

1 Like

I learned today that there is a GPX download option on the Summits - Assocations Page.
And Manuel was kind enough to implement 2 wishes I had: In the GPX File you can click on options to include the Summit name, the Summit Hight and the SOTA Points for the summits.

AFAIK the only SOTA GPX Download with this feature.

Many Thanks Manuel, much appreciated!

5 Likes

Hi Mark,

Can you explain what you would do with such a GPX file ?
I guess I can open a kml file in Google Earth.

I tried downloading a gpx file and I can open it in e.g. Basecamp, and yes, I see all the summits, but that is the same as watching the summits directly in SOTLAS (where I can also go to other map types (OSM, OCM, OT etc).

What would be nice is to have a GPX download button per summit , IF there is a track available.
Don’t know if that is possible, and what if there is more than one track posted …?

Luc ON7DQ

I use the gpx-files for Basecamp and also have all of the OE-Summits stored on my Garmin device!

Currently it is not possible to upload tracks (or photos, route descriptions etc.) to SOTLAS, but it’s something that I have in mind for the future. Then of course it would be possible to download the tracks as GPX files (either individually, or there can also be multiple tracks in a GPX file).

1 Like

Luc:

Same here, I do all my SOTA Planing in Basecamp. I add parking places, try to estimate hiking durations by drawing routes, I import Tracks after activationg a summit and finally I store the nessesary information on my Garmin portable GPS divice.

So GPX are very important for my planning.

1 Like

Hi Luc

you may open gpx Files Google Earth too. I doit all times to see my track 3D

73 de hb9fvk

For Google Earth I like to use “KML Network Link” files (can be downloaded from SMP):
grafik

Looks like this:

Updates automatically (e.g. when summit are deleted/added), unactivated summits are shown in red letters.

73 Martin, OE5REO

1 Like

I would like to see a new tab open when you click on a link to open the info page for a summit. I hate having to keep hitting BACK to get back to the map.

Hi Manuel,

I really like being able to use my phone to look at the maps and see the summits in detail and nearby summits.

I have found that two SOTA peaks, VK3/VS-046 and VK3/VS-048 do not have any height contours. Something in the vector data?

thanks for this app.

Ron
VK3AFW

It looks like the filter on the activators page has some kind of regular expressions, is that correct?

ve returns:

SOTLAS%20filter%20ve

v(e|a) returns:

SOTLAS%20filter%20vea

^v(e|a) returns:

SOTLAS%20filter%20caret%20vea

Thanks,
Malcolm VE2DDZ

As for me Sotlas has become the central website of the whole SOTA program. There are only a few links I miss - links to SOTA Reflector, Watch, Mapping, Database.

Please, Manuel, could you implement them to make Sotlas even more useful?

Thanks in advance!

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

Most browsers let you open a link in a new tab by clicking it while holding down the Ctrl (or Command) key, or by right-clicking it.

Yes, that’s correct; it supports PCRE. I plan to add support for regexes to the other filter input fields as well, as regexes can be useful and don’t interfere much with users that don’t know them and just want to search for substrings.

1 Like

Perhaps just add those links to your browser’s favorites bar? :wink:

Hello Ron,

Looks like an issue in OpenMapTiles (whose data SOTLAS uses); see here: https://openmaptiles.github.io/klokantech-terrain-gl-style/#12.03/-37.8992/142.0574

Perhaps the DEM that they used to generate the contours is incomplete in that area.

Yes but it’s a PITA. :slightly_smiling_face: Just seems that would be the default from a usability standpoint.