Dear SOTA fans,
The vector-based summit map that I published on my personal website a few months ago (see thread SMP patching) has become quite popular. Inspired by the feedback, I have been working on an enhanced version, extending it with many features to quickly and easily discover information about summits and activators from the database.
The result, which I call SOTLAS (for SOTA Atlas), is now in a state where it can be unleashed on the general public. So, without further ado, here it is:
A reasonably modern browser and device are required. Some screenshots are at the end of this post in case you cannot (yet) access the site for some reason. It is a Single-page application (SPA) built with modern web technologies, meaning that most of the application code is loaded and cached in the browser the first time you load the site. This may take a moment, but once loaded, switching between pages should be pretty fast.
The map tiles are hosted on my server in Switzerland, so users outside Europe may experience some delays in loading the map. If anybody has a server on another continent with 300 GB of SSD to spare, please let me know
- Worldwide summit map based on vector tiles (OSM data), with filter options (number of activations, activated by etc.) and display of recents spots
- Summit browser with information from the SOTA database (including articles/links) and Wikipedia
- Search for summit names, references or callsigns in the navigation bar
(try entering only part of a callsign or a summit name, or leaving out umlauts etc.)
- Live view of SOTAwatch spots without having to refresh, with filter options by band, mode and continent
- Live view of RBN spots from registered SOTA activator callsigns, or from ongoing spotted/alerted SOTA activations
- Alert list
- Activator details with last spots, statistics and a list of all activations
- Responsive design for mobile devices
I hope that this new resource will prove useful, and intend to extend it with more features in the future. Feedbacks and bug reports are welcome, either here or via email to email@example.com.