SMP patching

Not sure if this is the place to put it, but the map doesnt seem to be working for me tonight. I went to my association, W4G, and get a window saying there are no records to show. It was working fine earlier today.

Well actually, I noticed that often when you MouseOver one of the mountains on the map, it didnt give you the option to click it, That was a minor inconvenience. Now I see nothing.

Thanks so much for keeping this tool going. It is awesome.

-Steve
W2SWA

Yep, this is my bad. I completely misread an email from Rob and cast aspersions on the operation of SMP. The iotamaps server was hosting the data and that server is moving, requiring us to re-evaluate the usage of the tool

Is there anywhere an online zoomable map showing all the SOTA summits? Just something simple that does not require areas to be selected?

Not “just something simple”, but if you have a fast processor, enough memory and patience, you can try “ALL SOTA summits shown on Google Earth” from ON6ZQ | www.on6zq.be

When the full list is loaded, do not try to move the globe yet, but deselect “ALL” from the left menu and only re-select the Associations you want to see.

You can of course also select individual Associations .kml files that load much faster.

2 Likes

Perfect thanks. In reality I don’t need “all” but just one or two associations. The SMP interface makes the selection rather tedious.

You’ve inspired me to spend some of my lazy Sunday to try to come up with a world-wide SOTA summit map that shows all the summits at once, and can be zoomed nearly without delay on a reasonably modern computer/browser:

https://neon1.net/sota/summits/map/

It was just quickly cobbled together, so there are currently no filter options and no further features besides getting a detail popup when you click on a summit. But it shows what could be done…

Manuel HB9DQM

6 Likes

Wow! That’s brilliant. Thanks Manuel.

I guess that is just a temporary issue with the summit markers are not showing (but a default one instead)
smp%20marker

As I was checking out a summit on the SOTA Database for the W7A Association, I saw that a track existed. However when I went to the Mapping section for Tracks and entered in the Region, I got a pop-up that said: “Summits-No Records Match Your Request.” I went back and selected some different Regions where I knew for sure there were tracks and got the same message.

Looks like the tracks aren’t loading…

Dave, AE9Q

There appear to be multiple issues with the SMP site now. There’s another thread running here about it. They’re working on it.

I just tried the Range page, and it showed no summits where there are many.

George
KX0R

All of these issues were due to a truncated table of points. I’ve reloaded and they should all work.

2 Likes

Hello Andrew,

Any news on the future of the elevation feature? Does the iotamaps server still has the elevation data service?
Sylvia @OE5YYN was also missing the feature just recently.

I know that there are other issues with the SMP but please don’t abandon the elevation profile tool. Thanks.

73 de Joe

Hi Joe, it’s on my list to fix. The main problem is time, as I’m in the US for work right now. I should have it sorted by end of next week

1 Like

No stress! We appreciate your efforts! Just wanted to make sure it’s not forgotten!

Thanks a lot!
73, Sylvia

I had Rob add the “all” (select all) feature some time ago, to provide this feature.
Lets take DM and DL as you two wished for associations…

1. On “chose association” click “Multi”.
  2. Scroll down the list and select the first (DL in our example).
  3. Press and hold the ctrl key on your PC keyboard.
  4. Scroll down to the second association (DM in our example).
  5. Release the ctrl key.
  6. Then in “choose region” first click multi which will then enable the “all” box, click that as well.

You will now have all regions in two associations displayed on the map.

73 Ed.

Yes. Rather tedious.

I prefer: https://neon1.net/sota/summits/map/ by far.

1 Like

Nice map system. Interesting that if you go back with the browser it goes to the last summit you clicked on, but expanded so that it’s centred on the screen in a close-in picture rather than the multiple summits that you saw the first time when you clicked on it!

I haven’t found how to select just 1 or 2 or 3 associations with it yet though - e.g. the DL and OE associations merge into one big collection of red (10 point) dots at the border.

In any case each to their own. It’s nice to have choice and for planning a long distance trip, this neon1 map could be very useful when multiple countries are involved.

73 Ed.

1 Like

New version just uploaded, with filtering and more view options (try the buttons in the top left corner of the map). Summit photos are also pulled automatically from Wikipedia if available, and shown in the summit details popup.

The address is still the same: https://neon1.net/sota/summits/map/

Note that the “(not) activated by” filters currently take quite long to load as sotadata.org.uk is a bit slow in responding at the moment.

2 Likes

I’d noticed that. I think the DB engine is running as fast as normal but the http transport seems bursty/jerky.

1 Like

I’ll temporarily be bringing down the SMP server while I take a snapshot in preparation for fixing the sync problems and the elevation data. Should be down for about 30 minutes.

1 Like