SOTLAS feature update: New map, photos, drawing...

Awesome resource and tons of work! I have uploaded photos to every location I have gone (and almost all have tracks as well). Very well done!

Mike AC0PR

1 Like

Hello Manuel,

Any chance to add the elevation to exported .gpx file?

Thanks a lot!
73 de Joe

Hello Joe,

Your wish is my command – done! :smile:

73, Manuel

2 Likes

Manuel,

Excellent :+1:
After force reload the page the feature worked.
Now planning gets even easier.
Thanks a lot :grinning:
73, Joe

2 Likes

Hi Manuel,

Another little thing for your bug list (or not ? )

• Clicking the images in the photos section opens them in a viewer overlay. Clicking the “summit image” (top left) open the image in a new browser tab. Bug or feature?

Thanks
73 Joe

Neither bug nor feature, just laziness on my part :wink:

This has now been fixed/improved (for the case where the cover photo has been uploaded by a user, rather than obtained from Wikipedia).

73, Manuel HB9DQM

Thanks Manuel. Same issue on the small image on the map on clicking the summit.
I would suggest to open the summit page on click of the photo?

73 Joe

The photo upload feature in SOTLAS has proven to be very popular, with a few dozen photos from all over the world being uploaded every day.

To showcase the new photos, I have added a “New Photos” page to SOTLAS (SOTLAS). By default it shows photos from all associations, but it is possible to filter it by association.

Other changes in the last few months:

• The search field now also accepts (partial) summit references without slashes/dashes, e.g. "hb be143” or “be143”.
  • Multiple callsigns can be specified for “(not) activated by” filters, separated with commas.
    • In case of “activated by”, summits are shown if they have been activated by all activators
    • In case of “not activated by”, summits are shown if they have not been activated by any of the activators
  • The OSM based vector map has been re-rendered with data from January 2021. This time it took 20 days of CPU time on a machine with 16 cores.
  • Photo coordinates can be downloaded as waypoints in a .gpx file.
  • Map options have been restructured and a swisstopo map has been added.

If anybody knows where to find the terms of use for the CalTopo WMTS service (https://caltopo.s3.amazonaws.com/topo/{z}/{x}/{y}.png), then perhaps the CalTopo map could be added to SOTLAS as well.

28 Likes

Thanks Manuel for the great features and service for the SOTA community.

And I guess this is also new at the callsign page:
grafik

:+1:

73 Joe

4 Likes

Great work !! Tnx for all of your time you spend to do that …

DD6FM - Marco

1 Like

Hi Manuel @HB9DQM

First, thanks for HB/GR-010 this morning, sorry I called you Mark by mistake :slightly_smiling_face:
In Sotlas when I open one activation log, all France flags aren’t displayed !
Maybe I’m wrong and it’s my PC fault :laughing:

73 Éric

1 Like

Bonsoir Éric,

Thanks for the QSO today! No worries about the name :wink:
The French flags show up fine on my computer. Try clearing your browser cache, perhaps something has got stuck in there.

Manuel HB9DQM

1 Like

Merci Manuel :+1:
Clearing the cache worked thanks
73, Éric

1 Like

Spring has sprung in this part of the earth – the snow is melting, but there’s still a lot left to melt! The time has arrived where the primary question when contemplating a SOTA activation is: Will hiking boots do, or do I need snowshoes/skis?

Webcams can help answer the question, and to make them readily accessible, I have added a webcam layer to https://sotl.as, fed with worldwide webcam locations from windy.com.

Simply enable webcams in the map options menu. Unfortunately the direction that the cameras are facing is not available from the data source, or it would be even easier to identify the desired summit in the image.

18 Likes

When one thinks that this is the perfect tool, you add a feature that makes it even better.

Thanks a lot for your great effort!

73 Stephan

3 Likes

I try to draw on the map to enter a track. But there are no tools on my map. What can I do?

Tnx for the SOTLAS,

73 Chris

I used the button which looks like a line drawn between two dots to draw this.

To entering a new gpx track: This still needs to be done on sotamaps.org .
sotl.as will take it from there.

But for drawing on the map John has pointed it out already. After drawing hit the enter/return key to show the elevation profile.
Maybe try to force reload the page or clear the browser cache.

1 Like

The elevation profile is very clever!

2 Likes

I got it, tnx for your advices.
73 Chris

1 Like