SOTA friends net on Peanut - 0900z Monday 20th April

If you just want to chat, make a free Discord server. That has a web interface, plus native apps for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and Linux.

OK, I just took ten seconds and made a SOTA server. This link is good for 24 hours.

wunder

1 Like

The SOTA chat net on Peanut will take place at 2130z today.

1 Like

I’ll be doing the 6m UKAC from home tonight. This finishes at 2130z, so I may be a few minutes late joining the net.

Net starting in 10 minutes!

A good net is underway, currently with:

@G0AZS
@EA2BD
KG7LRD
@MM0FMF
@M1BUU
@EI3KA
@M1EYP
@VK3SQ
@M0HGY
@ZL2ATH

That was great fun again last night, and I know everyone enjoyed it. Thank you all for joining in.

I propose that the next virtual gathering on Peanut be scheduled for 1000 UTC (11am BST) on Tuesday 14th April 2020. Any comments?

Everyone is the SOTA community is invited to join us. I realise that computer-to-computer comms are not everyone’s cup of tea, but these are unusual times, so why not give it a try? All the details you need are in this thread:

1 Like

Glad to read that you had a good one last night.
I had initially planned participating, but I unexpectedly got into a nice family time and I gave it priority.
I"m not sure I’ll be able to make it next Tuesday because I have something to do at the hospital at about that same time, but I’ll try.

Guru

Another different kind of radio tonight - but still one where the community can come together - if people so wish. Many will know I have two adult sons - Jimmy M0HGY who is the G Association Manager, keen SOTA activator and a Mountain Goat. Also Liam, who is not a licensed amateur, but who is a presenter on local community radio in our home area.

The station manager at Canalside Radio asked him for a two hour special of his “Late Night Liam” programme for Good Friday evening - ie tonight! The show will be broadcast at 9pm to 11pm UK time - that is 2000-2200 UTC. It can be received on 102.8MHz FM in this area, but can be heard anywhere around the world via online platforms like Smartspeaker, the Tune-in App or the radio station’s website - http://www.canalsideradio.net

If you enjoy an eclectic mix of high quality, original and cutting-edge music, then you may enjoy this show. If you do, then please do get in touch via the email address that will be announced on-air. Also, there may be some live interaction on social media during the show via Facebook Live or in the “Late Night Liam Listeners” Facebook group (which you can request to join).

Again, it’s just another possible avenue for SOTA friends to gather together (virtually), in a different context of radio. The musical choices date back up to 60 years, so hopefully something for everyone.

Other than that, I look forward to the next “SOTA PeaNet” at 1000 UTC on Tuesday.

2 Likes

A reminder that out next scheduled “virtual get-together” in the SOTA room on Peant, is coming up in 45 minutes, at 1000z (11am UK time).

The SOTA room on Peanut is available 24/7 of course, but we have these nominated times when more of us gather.

This is the most convenient way I personally have found to run Peanut. I have the dashboard displaying on my main PC, with the Last Heard and Online Users Filters both set to “SOTA”. On a separate device (in my case a Windows 10 tablet), I am running the Peanut app. Doing it this way means that I don’t have to minimise or switch windows - or fiddle about with split screens.

We are underway. Please come and join this friendly SOTA gathering. We do seem to have some network issues with “transmissions” cutting out every few seconds, but it’s mainly working and mainly readable!

In the Peanut SOTA room we have:

@MM0FMF
@EA2IF
@EI3KA
@VK3SQ
@M1EYP
@ON7DQ
@M1BUU
@F5JKK
@VK1DA
VK2ARJ
M6KCI
@EA2BD
@WB8ICQ
@2E0AGB
VK5FCFW
KC3MWK
@VK3ARR
@ON6UU
ZS6STE
@G1AGT

Thankfully the technical difficulties did not persist for too long and we enjoyed a good service on Peanut for most of the 2 hours + that the net lasted. Amazing to learn how many of the participants today are musicians working past or present at the professional level.

2 Likes

Thanks again Tom and of course everyone else who joined in

1 Like

Thanks to all! Until we can be S2S, great way to stay in touch with the gang. And as Guru, EA2IF put it, for us CW ops this is the first time we’ve heard our friends’ voices!

Yes, good to hear the voices, most for the first time.
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

It was a great net and I enjoyed it very much at home on wifi first and later on 4G while walking to the hospital for about 25 minutes, also while being there giving a blood sample for analysis and then on my walk back home for another 25 minutes, to finally end back again on wifi in my shack. No RX/TX problems while walking, thus proving this app as a good means of communication when hiking or at the top of a mountain with a good 4G coverage.
With so many musicians as we have in the group, a SOTA-band concert is something you should start considering :wink:
I’ll be looking forward to hearing you all again soon.
Take care.

Guru

Good idea Guru. The Brits may remember a detective series called Inspector Morse. The theme music featured the word morse played out in morse (the music simulating the rhythm of morse code “m o r s e”. Maybe with all the talent here, we could come up with a similar idea for a SOTA theme tune?

3 Likes

I’m thinking this Friday 17th April 2020 @ 2100 UTC (2200 BST, 2300 CEST, 1700 EDT, 0700 Saturday AEST) for the next one. Any comments?

1 Like

Sounds good to me :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hi Tom , sounds fine with me. Note that it will be saturday morning for vk.
73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Reminder - SOTA friends net on Peanut coming up in just over an hour.

Everyone welcome. It’s mainly SOTA activators and chasers of course, but we do usually get one or two dropping in that are just intrigued by the room name!

Look forward to chatting with SOTA friends around the world again in a short while.

The net is underway, and in the SOTA room on Peanut are:

Tom @M1EYP
Jens @HB9EKO
Allen @2E0AGB
Jimmy @M0HGY
Geoff @VK3SQ
John @EI3KA
Mark KM6ZPO