Social distancing

Social distance is the buzz phrase for a way to slow the Covid 19 Virus. I can think of few better ways than setting up an antenna on a hilltop and contacting friends by radio.

27 Likes

I fully agree.
That’s what I’m willing to do as soon as WX improves a bit. All week has been raining and even snowing today for a while in the town.
This is the view from my balcony when the snow fall stopped and let the nearby SOTAs visible:

Cheers,

Guru

10 Likes

Hahaha, I’m with you Richard. I was just telling some other SOTA folks that I’m going to have to ‘quarantine’ my self on a series of summits here soon.

7 Likes

Wow what a view you have Guru. I’m envious mate :upside_down_face:
Best 73

He can see into several bedrooms and bathrooms from there.

Any chance of setting up a webcam and feed? :wink:

1 Like

LOL

Yes, Allen, I really enjoy the views from the different balconies in this rental appartment.
You can see all the SOTAs I have in sight here:

The bad thing is that we will soon be leaving this appartment as the rental contract will expire in a few months. We’ll have to find another one and I doubt I’ll be again so lucky to find one with these great views.

Guru

Aww what a shame Guru , but hopefully someone will smile on you and give you just as good.

Best 73

1 Like

Perhaps the Covid19 crisis is what the ham radio hobby was needing to get a worldwide boost.
Cheers,

Guru

1 Like

You can’t miss this; I love it: https://youtu.be/2pqypm0d3sg
Please, share it with as many as you can.

Guru
P.D. not too many, as I fear the bands may become too crowded…

4 Likes

There is a notable increase in the size of DX pile ups from the EU operators stuck at home self isolating, including me. I was due to attend a three day conference in York this Friday, Saturday and Sunday having paid my money. It was cancelled overnight. I’m glad the decision was taken for me as I have health issues with my heart and I did not relish catching the virus just yet… More SOTA Chasing then for me over the weekend!

Will my SOTA Tours planned for April (OK) and May (EA6/MA) go ahead? Let’s see what happens… Likely I will cancel EA6/MA on the (next) Monday deadline to avoid expensive cancellation charges.

73 Phil

Just got my test results back today and I’m negative :smiley:. Went paragliding this afternoon to celebrate. Time to go out and get some SOTA done before I get Coronavirus for real. 4 days indoors really sucked, 2 weeks will be a nightmare.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

1 Like

Hey Matt,

Very good to hear that you are fine. Did you feel sick or what was the reason for the test? Because I think now things are getting more serious in good old OE.
Not sure that everyone in the social distancing mode already but we did what we cold. Ham club meeting cancelled until further notice. Tomorrow I will do home office. Monday we will see.

But getting some fresh air on a solo weekend activation is sheduled. Sunday wx looks promising.

73 Joe

I got a cold exactly 14 days after returning to OE via Treviso Airport. Although I am allowed out of quarantine, I’m not allowed into schools, universities etc. So yes, Sunday is looking good for SOTA, as is Monday, Tuesday etc.
73 Matt

Our local government of EA2/NV announced this afternoon that all school and university classes will be cancelled for 2 weeks starting Monday. Later, some friends told me that the same countermeasure was announced by their respective local governments in EA1/AT and EA4 (Castilla la Mancha). EA4 (Madrid) already took this decision earlier, as well as EA1/LR and EA2 (Euskadi=Basque Country).
I can’t tell you how things are in EA6/MA but, in case they are not there yet, I’m afraid they will likely be in the same situation sooner or later in a matter of few days.
Several employees have been sent home for tele-working and automotive industries like the one I’m employed by are seriously considering the very likely scenario of having to stop their activity due to not receiving parts from their suppliers or due to purchase orders being cancelled by their customers.
The situation is worrying, particularly for people like me because I’m receiving chemotheray and I’m supposed to be inmunodepressed, so not at all a good situation to face such a threat.
Good luck to you and all.

Guru

Stay out of public places as long as you can Guru. Really hope your treatment can continue unabated.

73 Phil

1 Like

I spend most of my time at home. However I’m not too worried about going out to the street for a walk or buying something as long as the store is not crowded, because I normally shouldn’t get too close to any people and I stay away of the cash, just paying with my credit card approaching it with my hand to the dataphone. The most worrying for me is my own family, because my wife and 3 kids may go out, get the virus and bring it home, where I’ll probably get too close to them or very often touching the same things they touch.
I’m washing my hands like a posessed nowadays. So far, so good.
Let’s hope things don’t get bad.
My backup plan is isolating myself in the house I own in the village 18Km out of the city, but I’m still a bit reluctant to such measure.

Guru

You are happy man, CONGRATS !!!
I wanted to make test but in our country nowadays it is impossoble if you just suspected :frowning:

Hi Phil, wish you all the best :wink:

73, Jarek

1 Like

In Poland for the moment National Park of Tatra mountains where the most of SP/TA summits are located is closed for visitors.

The situation is under fast development, we expect another coming strong measures.

73, Jarek

Thank God I’ve got a couple of summits within walking distance.
73 Matt