How many SOTA summits can you see from your home?

Reminds me of this:

2 Likes

Not too many from Scratby near Gt Yarmouth!!

Dave G0ELJ

2 Likes

None.

I can’t see the forrest summits through the trees. LOL

1 Like

None here too, which I why I started SOTA ops :grin:

I’d be back up in the hills anyway, as I decided to get / keep fit properly this year, so it would be rude not to take a radio and dish out some chaser points, right?

And on that subject, a big thanks to all my chasers so far - and the Summit-to-Summiteers too :wink:

Cheers! :beers:
Bob

1 Like

I can see 2 from my home, but from my parent’s home about 3 miles away, you can see about 8.

1 Like

Thank you Zoran for creating this thread. I’ve had a lot of fun working on trying to identify all the summits I can see and I have now a better knowledge about the surrounding mountains of Pamplona.
With some new pictures and an even deeper study of them checking them against the SOTA maps, I’ve come out to a total of 16 SOTA summits visible from the different balconies and angles of my rental appartment in Pamplona.

This map shows all the summits I can see with my naked eye:
imagen

Here are the pictures:

You can also see Pamplona’s cathedral here above.

imagen

Guru

3 Likes

Yours is the Kingdom of SOTA peaks. Good luck with activating them all, Guru.

Best 73’s!

Zoran / E70AA

2 Likes

yksi, een, واحد, един, jeden, ein, un, ένας, אחד, ʻekahi, ceann amháin, uno, en, один, moja, ett…

…one…

…doesn’t matter how many are out there or how you say it, it is the most beautiful to me and just out my back door (…look at all them happy creatures!)! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Craig, how about sharing with us a photo of the view from your back door? The one with the solo SOTA summit that makes you as happy as the CCR guys while singing about all those dancing creatures…

1 Like

I can’t match some of the fantastic photos above but this is the view of G/NP-028 Rombalds Moor from my bedroom window. Its the first thing I see when I open my curtains on a morning. Also I sit in my dining room to eat and have the same view. The view is just as nice when it has a covering of snow. The summit as about 14km line of sight.

73 Chris M0RSF

5 Likes

…you bet!

This is it in the background with part of our haskap orchard in the foreground. We got snow in late May one year after everything had leafed out. The haskap was flowering but it can handle a freeze to -7C and still bore fruit. Right now we are awash in wildlife - birds, mammals, insects - every one of them happy that life has returned to the north! The plants are in full bloom right now and the orchard is abuzz in insects busy pollinating.

It isn’t much, but it’s MY mountain! :wink:

5 Likes

No one !!! ;-( And with the Drone up 100m … STILL NO ONE lol !!! JN09KV :slight_smile:

2 Likes

None - but if I close my eyes and use my mind’s eye I can see hundreds!

5 Likes

Erm… None, but that is mostly due to living off the main valley and up the side of a small tributary.

Bit lucky in that I am spoilt a bit for choice

I must admit that I have not yet done Mickle Fell - It is in a military area and although I understand access is possibIe I have not yet been organised! My local favourite is Wild Boar Fell, it is only a 40 min drive and then

it feels like a proper fell ! I’m sue some of you could pop up in half an hour but it takes me a bit longer. The good bit about discovering SOTA quite recently is that there are still a lot of new hills for me to do. Hoping (WX dependent) to try the RSGB backpackers contest from Cross Fell, but still looking for my day pass from the XYL for that one! IMG_0536|690x388.

1 Like

Interesting Zoran:

So - from my Shack window - 26. But I think from the top of the top aerial on the mast?

Cheers

Jack(:>J

2 Likes

It’s always four, Joe, regardless of whether I use my computer or not :wink:

1 Like

Peter, thanks for the funny video clip of El Pistolero’s rapping. That, however, makes me think if anybody ever suggested SOTA by Bike (SOTA-BB, for short) variant of the hobby? It must be popular in the home country of the great Eddy Merckx…

Hi Zoran,

You know we have 2 champions with the name Eddy Merckx in Belgium?

73, Peter

Nice summit and nice orchard, Craig. Never heard of haskap berries, but after googling it a bit, I found it an interesting pastime option for retirement years. Long enjoy in your view, OM.

I don’t know why, Jack, but I’m imaging you squating on top of your mast and enjoying the view rich in SOTA peaks :smiley:.