Share your tips for activating in the rain

I couldn’t see a previous thread on this topic, so …

Climate scientists tell us we can expect our local weather to get more exaggerated with climate change. It always did rain a lot where I live but it seems to be raining even more nowadays.

So, please share your tips of how you cope with activating in the rain. Does rain and fog limit your QRV time like it does with me?

5 Likes

Only if I get cold. I wear full waterproofs plus extra warm layers. I use a tarp to protect the rig from the rain (as well as giving me extra shelter).

4 Likes

There are some compact bivvy/bothy bags nowadays that weigh very little. I have had one strapped to my rucksack for the last two years but have not yet used it, I tend to struggle on in the rain, get 5 contacts (one just in case …) and then pack up and head home.

This is not the one I have but very similar:
https://www.amazon.de/Lifesystems-Notfall-Unterstand-für-Wandern-Bergsteigen/dp/B01CSZ6W92/ref=asc_df_B01CSZ6W92/

73 Ed.

1 Like

Shelter picture is on first photo above.

73, Jarek

Bothy bag and waterproof clothing for the hike

1 Like

Move to Southern California (aka drought central) ….I did, too much rain in London in my formative years.

1 Like

After 240 something activations I finally did one in actual rain in the San Gabriel Mountains. I’ve got a lot to learn. Other than getting soaked through my rain jacket I got in 1994, my logbook got wet so I couldn’t really write, the radio which was shielded in a plastic bag (with holes in it) spazzed out until I turned it off, then on. I couldn’t really see the screen on my Yaesu HT to send APRS spots. Water was pooling in my backpack. I prefer normal So.Cal weather, but it was nice to have new challenges to consider.

1 Like

I bought a small teepee tent. Has a floor and packs into a light compact bundle. It was intended for children to play in but I can squeeze In with my rig. I get lots of whooping from passers by.

I’ll look for a pic.

73 Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Weather does limit my activation plans. I try to keep my gear and equipment dry. Failed one activation in OH/KI-002 Ritničohkka 1315 m due to wet link dipole antenna, I think.

Related to this, science project by Benjamin Franklin from 1752 below.

73, Jaakko oh7bf/ac1bb

2 Likes

There are three answers from my perspective.

1. When caught in an unexpected shower, I’ll shield the radio with my body as best as I can. I’ll cease phone logging and grab the small waterproof notebook I keep in the radio case. I may call QRT or keep going, depending on how bad the rain is.

2. If I’m out on a hike on a wet day, I’ll generally take my W3EDP because it doesn’t mind the rain and will haplily work with the first couple of metres lying on the ground. I’ll be inside the two person bothy bag, with two walking poles wedged up to the roof and far end. Wind can sometimes be an issue. The flapping material can make it difficult to hear the audio from the speaker.

3. For longer activations, eg a SOTA event such as a summit to summit day, I’ll set up a tarp and use walking poles to form a sloping ridge. I’ll usually just use my sit mat and stick the radio on my rucksack to keep it off the ground.

6 Likes

I carry a Terra Nova Bothy 2 bag (wt. 370g/14oz) for about 5 months of the year but consider it a survival shelter rather than a bad-weather ‘shack’ because:

1. it’s uncomfortable crouching inside for any length of time,
  2. as you say, it’s very noisy in high winds, and
  3. I would imagine condensation would build up inside both the bothy
    bag and my rig (with rain outside and my breathing inside).
4 Likes

I know what you mean :joy: Bothy’s are quicker to deploy and light to carry, but we find a tarp shelter more practical for SOTA.
The short 3 second video in the YouTube link was at the end of June, we could not have activated without the shelter. It was strong wind and driving rain.

2 Likes

I agree. My DD Hammocks Tarp S (2.8m x 1.5m) is just big enough for me, my dog and my gear and have the sides down to prevent rain and wind from getting in.

What a tarp can’t do is stop condensation build-up inside the rig in heavy rain and hill-top fog. My KX2 screen gets it after 20-30 minutes.

And I’ve even used the tarp on hot sunny days (yes, we do get get a few in G/LD land) as a pleasant sunscreen but still let the gentle breeze in.

The only trouble is setting up especially in high winds on a solo activation (99.99% of mine). Also, getting pegs to penetrate the rocky summits can be tricky or finding suitable rocks to weigh the sides down is time consuming.

3 Likes

It tends to be raining and windy at the same time for me. I find bothy bags noisy and a bit of a pain. Tarps are fine if it’s not too windy/ hard to put up and take down. I’d generally activate in the simplest way possible and the condensation that builds up in the rig hasn’t bothered my Yaesu VX8 for 15+ years…

My experience is that a good coat and trousers combo with a simple seat is good for me. In the winter I use trousers that feel like light weight ski kit with side zips that let heat out on the way up.

2 Likes

When I’ve thought that the weather might be inclement on a hill top I’ve taken the fly sheet from my old 2 man tent strapped to the back of my pack. I usually only put one of the poles through it and make a small shelter but have put in both poles if I have company or take Moxie the station dog. It isn’t fully waterproof anymore but has kept the worst of the weather off me and my gear. I tried a tarp on one hill but it flapped an awful lot in the wind.

Andy
MM7MOX

3 Likes

Yup. Work rhe pile up and get out of Dodge, which is what I’m aiming to do in that kind of weather anyway.

1 Like

After about 15 minutes it starts getting wet inside.
They are handy for hiding in when you’re walking up and down and a brief, heavy shower is passing over.

1 Like

Read the weather forecast to avoid the rain.

But it I get caught:-
“Write in the Rain” note pad and pencil for logging.
A waterproof rig (VX-6)

or borrow the XYL’s brolly on F/MC-262 .

73 de

G4VFL

1 Like

I find even in mizzley conditions the water wicks up under the screen cover, as you can see in the bottom left corner:

So far this hasn’t caused any problems, but it would be nice if the KX2 was a little better protected. I guess ‘designed in California’ might not be the best for the UK weather :rofl:

2 Likes

Wear two layers of waterproofs in cold and wet weather. Top layer fully waterproof, next layer pertec or similar (and then warm layers under that)

Tool Freak Rip-out spoggles

Inexpensive radio (venus sw3b)

I tend to use a bothy bag for wet and windy, I can generally operate up to an hour before finding it uncomfortable. Surprised that the comments above suggest they are not so popular.

Although, if I am camping, using a Hilleberg Akto and sleeping bag feels like a 5-star comfort activation

2 Likes