OE5 SOTA DAY 2022

Losenstein by night :blush:

73, Jarek

3 Likes

I plan to activate Mt Stromlo on 20m SSB from 0600 to 0800 UTC. Sunset is at 0800 UTC and there is a chance of rain here in VK1.

I will be looking for S2S opportunities.

Let’s hope for a long path opening on 20m.

73, Andrew VK1AD.

2 Likes

Andrew might give it a try. Hopefully the condx are fine.

73s
Ingo

1 Like

The last drops of rain were still falling this morning as I headed up Eggenberg OE/ST-484. I chose this summit not just because the forecast was better in the south of Austria, but because there is a hut at the summit with a sheltered area from which to operate:

The Holzhackerhütte also has plenty of room for antennas in the vicinity. I soon had my flowerpot antenna up and the linear connected. It was luxury to operate with a table and chair:

Unfortunately, being lower down was not as good for FM as Hochkar would have been. I got much better contacts south than to the north. Peter OE6PID and Barbara OE6BID were on the Madereck OE/ST-287. But even though they were only 30km away, and I was running 60W, it still wasn’t possible to get the S2S as the signal just kept breaking up. Although the weather had taken its toll on of the number of activators, the log didn’t look too bad by the end:

Lessons learned for next year: get to a nice high pointy summit and try to get the antenna a bit higher up. I look forward to participating next year, hopefully with more favourable WX.
73 de OE6FEG/P
Matt

4 Likes

On OK/US-003 (Alt.950m) tody heavy rain, wind and temperature 6°C . The roof of shelder with many holes and water dropping in my eqipment. The paper logbook is wet.
Only 8 QSOs in 2 hours: ODX 200km , no QSO to OE . I heard serveral times OE5FFE/p on OE/SB-204 with 55, but he dont herd me! He said in a other QSO: freezing rain. So i can understand that we had no qso. Ich dont herd other activators in on OE-Summits.
I hop for better weather 2023. An activation 2m-FM with DX-QSOs (200-300km 2020) is a great joy for me.
Hans-Jürgen

3 Likes

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for S2S QSO :exclamation:

Shelter is important for sure :wink:

Thanks to activators and chasers for funny day :slight_smile:

Meeting in person new SOTA Friends was the cherry on the cake of today :champagne:

Many thanks :muscle:

73, Jarek

8 Likes

20m long path propagation was open at 0600 UTC and started to fade around 0730 UTC. My sunset was at 0800 UTC, 1800h local time.

S2S QSOs included Herbert OE9HRV/P, Andrew VK1DA/P, John VK6NU/P and Hartwig DL7BC/P.

I also made my first contact with an amateur radio operator at Casey Base, Warren VK0WN.

Mike 2E0YYY/P was operating portable in a local park.

Countries worked via long path propagation: Finland, UK, Sweden, Austria, France, Spain and Germany.

Radio: FT857D @ 20 watts.

SOTA log:

20m 1/4 wave GP with 4 elevated radials:

Thank you to all activators and chasers.

73, Andrew VK1AD

5 Likes

I heard you Andrew whilst on G/LD-011 when you were calling SOTA but had big QRM very close to frequency.

Congratulations on your SOTA DX. Maybe next time. Mark.

2 Likes

Hi Mark

I heard you 0750 UTC and called a number of times with ‘S2S’ however at that stage propagation from VK to G had dried up.

Wx permitting I will be happy to try again next weekend.

73, Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

I also thought conditions yesterday were a lot better than they have been. I was set up on the eastern slope of Mt Ainslie VK1/AC-040 a location I have used before. The sloping ground might help with long path signals (south east direction from Canberra). About 17 QSOs on 14 cw first, including the regular chasers from F, DL, SM, OH, EA and G, ZL and K5/W6.

On SSB I was pleased to be able to work Herbert OE9HRV then Andrew VK1AD, then John VK6NU. I heard VK0WN but only weakly, my location and antenna orientation may have been poor in his direction. I worked EA2LU Jorge on ssb too, I think a first for me! He sounded just as surprised as I was. (We activated a summit in Spain together with EA2BD in 2019).

I used my ZS6BKW at first, then later changed to a 20m vertical to see if signals were any different. I had a problem in my switchable radials (10/14 mhz) as the SWR was rising intermittently. At about 0700 I considered putting the multiband doublet back up, but with more rain approaching and occasional drops being heard on my shelter, I decided to just close down. Sorry to the 40m chasers.

Thanks all for the contacts. Looking at the spots later in the day (evening here) I saw lots of OE spots so there was lots of activity there as well as in the G/LD region.
It was a special day in ZL too, the annual memorial day for ZL3CC. Sadly I was too late to work those activators.

73 Andrew VK1DA/2DA.

5 Likes

Hi folks!

I had a really great time yesterday, our OE5 SOTA DAY has been a huge success (again) … despite the bad weather 15 activators turned out on summits in the region of Ennstal. Besides the local OE5 SOTA community it was great to welcome these international visitors at our meeting:

Jarek, @SP9MA
Laurent, @F8CZI
Michal, @OM1ALT
Sebastian, @DL8MEK
Hans, @DK1MHW

Because I planned to stay about four hours on the summit I decided to take my tent and sleepingbag with me to keep me warm and dry … it has been a very good decision! I managed 89 QSO’s and 42 S2S.

At the restaurant 20 people gathered for food, drinks and conversation. We had two lectures … Herbert, OE9HRV presented his miracle DX antenna called “Hentenna” and me, OE5REO presented a collection of pictures of the last 12 years OE5 SOTA DAY.

from left to right: OE5DIN, OE5JKL, DL8MEK, OE5YYN, OM1ALT, Maja

from left to right: OE5JFE, OE5GBM, OE6PGM, OE2UWU

from left to right: Christa, OE9HRV, DK1MHW, OE5EEP, OE5FSM

from left to right: Claude, F8CZI, OM1ALT, OE5HCE, SP9MA

Thanks to all OM’s/YL’s participating in the OE5 SOTA DAY. Not only the local turnout on the summits in OE5 was impressive, the huge amount of activators that have been QRV all around Europe was great.

I will post the group photo here as soon as the editing is finished …

73 Martin, OE5REO

13 Likes

Here a quick report.

This time I wanted to rent a mountainbike as this summit would be just a bit of from a saddle that connects two valleys and is an official bike route. But the rental was closed because of the bad weather. So by foot is was. The Mitterberg OE/OO-359 a not very exiting summit overall as judged by the pictures that Heinz OE5EEP shared on the sotl.as page.

But I knew that all three previous activators would join the event so that would give them the complete status - and myself having had a QSO with Martin OE5REO before would have the same status - made it a reasons to go there that day.
A long but easy access via a gravel road and a pretty nice forrest and grassland ridgehike were the bonus apart for the many S2S that day.

Roleup 2m J-Pole in action

View to summit (the left one) with looming clouds

The final 15minutes before the car I needed to get the umbrella out so a lot of luck despite the bad forecast.

47 QSO with 14 of them S2S on 2m FM and 5 more on 40m.

Later we met at the restaurant it was great to meet the S2S partners and many more for a relaxed chat and tasty dinner.

Herbert OE9HRV gave a presentation on his Hentenna construction and success for SOTA especially in the 10m and 12m challenge some years ago.

Martin OE5REO shared a picture report on the past 12 OE5 SOTA-days with lot’s of memorable activations and meetup with local and international friends.

… I want to thank him for organizing this event for the past 4 years.

Not a surprise to me but to some he passed on the role of OE/OO region manager. I recieved a trophy that originally was passed on from Christian OE5HCE to Martin representing this role. I will keep it in a nice spot in my appartment until it will move on…
Sylvia and myself handed over a sport shirt with his call and the SOTA logo as a small THANK YOU :+1:

Looking forward to next year and hope for many participants and good weather.

73 Joe

14 Likes

:clap: :+1:

1 Like

Not sure how many summits have 4 activations and all of them are a completes?
But let’s not challenge the database and just say it is a bit unique :grin:

2 Likes

Bad propagation, on Saturday morning, here in São Paulo. I looked for several SOTA, but nothing to hear.
We tried another time.
carlos
py2vm

2 Likes

Congratulations,

See you

carlos
py2vm

During the meeting when I congratulated Joe @OE5JFE his nice videos I said that mine are “general natural”.
Three of them I am linking below as short activation report :wink:

Sorry for bad effects of “camera in hand” but this is essence of “general natural” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

73, Jarek

5 Likes

Databases come and go, but the UNIQUE is the sunshine that you carry in your heart from your adventures!

1 Like

I think I was having issues with my antenna on 40m - SWR was high, will investigate. As a consquence your signal was very low with me and my attempts to get through didn’t work (problems at my end for sure).

Next time Joe! Cheers, Mark.

1 Like

Thanks Jarek for sharing your great videos. :+1:

Geoff vk3sq :beers:

1 Like