Points system.

It should not be overlooked here that the 2 point band in GI commences at 400m, and the 4 point at 500m.

So there’s some extra points for you - enjoy.

BTW, I’ve activated every summit in GI and don’t feel any of them deserve even more points than the generous allocation they already have.

2 Likes

I think the tracks reflect the number of activations - not many folks bother to upload them

1 Like

The beauty of the system is the simplicity, and I’m sure that if I had 30 drive by 10 point summits within an hour I would have lost interest years ago. Yes I do like collecting the points, but some of the best experiences I have had have been getting up the obscure 1 pointers that are rarely visited. There are also loads of different challenges to internally set - S2S contacts, Completes, All the hills in an area ( only 4 NP ones to go…) or even the hardest one point that is possible… I can still remember this one https://reflector.sota.org.uk/t/gm-si-223/15049 - and can vividly remember attempting to attach the bike to the top of the car whan all I wanted to do was lie down…and with hindsight I’m suprised the Police didn’t ask if I was going fishing … :slight_smile: 73 Paul

6 Likes

I had no idea what tracks were so had to google it and find it on the SOTA mapping project (I didn’t know what SMP was until then either - I thought it was symmetric multiprocessing). I do not see the relevance of tracks to how many points to allocate to a summit. I don’t use GPS as I can use a map and compass and their batteries never go flat. (If I was ever to get temporarily mislocated I could get a grid reference from my phone but that is a last resort). So, however many summits I visit, I would never have a track to upload.

1 Like

I thought they meant tracks to drive on and marvelled at how many there were on some regions. :slight_smile: GPS tracks makes more sense, I guess, although not from an “easier/harder to gain points” point of view.

2 Likes

How confusing can you get? I have climbed well over 176 hills in GM and every one of them had a track! OK, so if it is GPS tracks that are meant, why not say so - and why compare apples to oranges?

1 Like

It just isn’t practical to score every route to every summit. The W6 association has 4328 summits. It was a huge job just to list them. A lot of them have never been activated, maybe more than half. I’m sure some have never been climbed at all, like that one summit in the army artillery range.

Then there are summits with a public road to the top and multiple trails to the top. Just in the SF Bay Area, that includes Mt. Diablo, Mt. Tamalpais, Mt. Umunhum, and San Bruno Mountain.

Nobody has the time to score thousands of routes up the peaks in W6. We’d rather be hiking and talking on the radio.

wunder

2 Likes

It made me smile Brian. 540 odd SOTA summits activated and I’ve never used a GPS track. No disrespect to those that have prepared them or those that use them, but for me doing the research into possible ascent routes is part of the enjoyment.

Along with Paul G4MD I’ve just activated Rhinog Fach for the second time. When I activated it for HEMA, I chose the western approach. I was pleased when Paul suggested we take the eastern approach. It was really enjoyable making the ascent from two different directions, but don’t ask me which I prefer. :grin:

73, Gerald

1 Like

Just to be clear, when i say track i mean track, stone/gravel/tarmac. I at no time mentioned gps, i am referring to a path or road that you can walk, ride a bike, or drive a car or camper van up. I apologise for for those who did not read the post correctly.

1 Like

So how did you count the tracks?

1 Like

I counted the hills marked with a star, a blue star, that shows there is a track to the summit.

1 Like

I think that would have to be neither :rofl:

2 Likes

Those are GPS tracks.

3 Likes

Every mountain on Earth can be hiked/climbed through more than one route. Typically several routes. From Mt. Everest (which is not yet a SOTA) to my local 2 pointer Mt. Ezkaba EA2/NV-119, all have several different routes and some new ones could possibly be created in the future. Mt. Ezkaba has an asphalt road up to the top, but there are many other hiking tracks to achieve the summit from the North, the South, the East and the West. I have got to the summit of this mountain both, hiking a quite steep and demanding track and also driving my car on the asphalt road. The same situation can be seen on many, many other mountains around the World. How on Earth could we have a score based on difficulty of the route used to get to the summit? Also, difficulty is a relative concept and a difficult route for me will surely be trivial for others.
Also, the fact of having a GPS track uploaded to the SMP means nothing regarding its level of difficulty to reach the summit.
I’m sure you will agree on this.

Guru

5 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly so tell me what the summit points relate to.

1 Like

SOTA is a fantastic scheme.
I am incredibly grateful to the Management Committee and all of the Association and Regional Managers for maintaining the scheme.
I have been overwhelmed by the kindness and support that I have received from the many chasers. I gained my Amateur Radio licences during the COVID restrictions and have missed out on much of the club based training and mentorship. I have made and continue to make mistakes operating on a summit and am indebted to the patience of the chasers (@SA4BLM, Lars, thank you).
I have seen more Sunrises, Sunsets, and fantastic views this year than any preceding year, and that is down to SOTA. I have made many new friends in many countries, too many to mention.
My goals are simple: Enjoy every summit, Try to be polite and patient to all, Improve my technique, and Activate all of the summits in my local region.
The SOTA rules have allowed all of this. There would have to be a very good reason to change the points system and any change would almost inevitably have unexpected and undesirable consequences.
Perhaps we need to enjoy what we have?

13 Likes

Hello William, and welcome to SOTA!

I can understand where you’re coming from as there isn’t always a direct correlation between how many points a summit is worth and the effort required to activate it. As other have said, things do seem to even out in this respect if you activate enough summits.

I’ve seen similar discussions to this in other areas of amateur radio. I guess the trouble is that once you start down the ‘fairness’ route you are potentially opening a can of worms as there are so many other factors which one would have to take account of. Perhaps a case of nothing is perfect in this world?

Although this is the first time I’ve seen this topic discussed, something tells me it is something that arises from time to time… :wink:

Good luck with it all. I’ve found SOTA to be hugely addictive and hopefully work you S2S sometime in the near future.

73 and enjoy the radio,

Matthew - M0JSB

6 Likes

Matthew, thank you for your kind words, i did not expect this simple statement to have such a wide and somewhat heated responce. I really enjoy SOTA and as i have stated i hold the whole system in the highest reguard. My Grandson who i was trying to convince to come with me and maybe interest him in this HOBBY, when i was explaining to him the workings he asked me to explain how and why a summit got particular points. I could not give him an explanation he was asking me questions i never thought to ask. Like if we walk to a summit and someone else goes on a motorbike or drives up in a geep or whatever how is it the same. I will continue with my SOTA hobby, but maybe i should have asked these questions before now, very quitely.

3 Likes

Why stop at that?

Climbing a 10 pointer in the Alps or lets say any country where you might have to ascend several thousand feet, cross a glacier, snowfields, moraines and so on is going to require a much greater effort than say, a few hours climbing up Ben Nevis (also a 10 pointer) by the tourist route.

And what of the hills here and abroad where you can also drive(or in one case take a train), almost to the summit ? Is driving almost to the summit and walking the last few metres to the top of a 10 pointer the same as driving to g/tw-004 and stepping out of your car to activate for 1 point?

Just be thankful you don’t live in Holland.* :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

• please note this is no reflection on my feelings for the Netherlands or the Dutch.
4 Likes

Points are awarded according to the height of the summit. Read the reference manual for the association and it will explain how height relates to points.

7 Likes