Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | Sotlas | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

People from Andy's formative ....... Part 4

Continuing the discussion from People from Andy's formative ....... Part 3 (Part 1) - #100 by G8ADD.

Previous discussions:

Oh heck… Gary Brooker (Procul Harum) dead at 76.

Procul Harum are one of those bands where everyone knows their big hits like A Whiter Shade of Pale but not many more. I knew nothing of them till Summer 1977 when my sister returned from her 1st year at university and there was a copy of Procul Harum’s “A Salty Dog” amongst her records. It belonged to a flat mate. I had a listen and some stuff I liked and some I didn’t.

However, there were two standout tracks for me. The first “The Milk of Human Kindness” is a fine mix of Gary Brooker’s vocals and keyboards with some nifty guitar fills from Robin Trower. Not sure if it’s rock or pop or what but I liked it.

More important was another track that really just features Robin Trower’s guitar work. “Juicy John Pink” is mainly Trower’s guitar work but Brooker’s voice has a just a great sound to it. That track set me off to be a big Robin Trower fan. I’ve seen Trower a few times in the last 15 years and he’s just gets better with age.

And isn’t that album cover just fantastic :wink:

RIP Mr. Brooker.

1 Like

“A White Shade of Pale” was actually quite an interesting piece of music - even if it was popular! I remember doing it as an instrumental in a dance band that I played reeds in, and later I played it as a jazz piece in a combo. It was a time when more interesting and highly worked pieces of music could become popular before disco and punk drove popular music back into simplicity - and in my mind, mediocrity!

I’d say heavily blues influenced.

2 Likes

I like the track, always have and I remember it as little kid listening to it with my sister on Radio Caroline North and Fab208 interspersed with adverts for Peter Stuyvesant cigarettes. And, the Hammond B3 on it’s fairly spiffing, especially those amazing swoops up the keyboard.

I’m going to go back and fix their name in my post as well.

1 Like

Baroque, surely?

1 Like

Bridge of Sighs - part of my Uni soundtrack. Glad to see he is still going strong.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting thought, Tom. I can see the relationship between figured bass and modern chord symbols, but the contrapuntal element is rather basic, being rather melody over riffs (much the same can be said for metal!) Then again, the blues form is related to the period via the basic idea seen in the chaconne and passacaglia dances. Good music transcends attempts to lever it into scholarly periods and styles. This is the sort of topic that would go well with a few beers!

1 Like