One Day Like This a Year...

….will see me right

Beinn a’Bhuird GM/ES-004 (1197m / 3927’)

There was a deep imbalance in The Force
Well, in my head anyway. Beinn a’Bhuird is the dark to Ben A’ans light. The Ying and Yang of the Cairngorms. Due to their great distance from the road, most folk will climb these two as a pair. Indeed, that’s what I had done on my previous two activations. Even in 2013 when my son and I had a monster day out climbing Ben A’an from Tomintoul (28 miles), we went back and did Ben a’Bhuird the next day. Except, this year I haven’t done that… And it was eating away at me. I’d climbed Ben A’an GM/ES-006 in May when I was looking for a tiny rocky place to experiment with my mini HF wire. I could and should have nipped over to Beinn a’Bhuird, after all it was a perfect day. As I write this, I cannot recall why I didn’t.

Fast forward six months. The first snows of winter have fallen and for once there is a decent forecast for the weekend. I have my pick of high summits, with options for a 30 point day, but no, it has to be the 29km / 18 mile hike of Beinn ‘Bhuird, and I’d need to qualify it on 2m, given I’d failed to do this previously.

Sunday 26th November 2023
0600z sees me away from the house. A frosty morning, however thankfully no ice on the Land Rover’s windscreen. A 50 minute drive up Deeside, passing Braemar’s fabulous Fife Arms Hotel, lit up like Santa’s Grotto, even at this hour. Then up the south side of the Dee for 5 miles to the Linn, cross the river and drive back down the north side for a similar distance to the end of the public road and the car park at Linn of Quoich. I set off walking at 0705 in the pitch black. Glancing east soon showed signs of the pre-dawn, so I didn’t need to use my headtorch for more than the first 20 minutes of the hike. I would usually cycle the first 6km of this route, but I didn’t fancy it in the dark on iced up tracks. Today would be a long, long walk.

rosy cheeks and pre-dawn

The first 6km of the route took me up the west bank of the Quoich water. There was bad flash flooding here in 2015 which wiped out some of the track. The National Trust for Scotland have constructed a replacement vehicle track, which unfortunately climbs up and over a hill.

The South top of Beinn a’Bhuird in the foreground

Not long after I negotiated the additional and unwelcome climb, I arrived at the ford at the Allt an Dubd-ghlinnie. It had taken me an hour and a half thus far. When I came this way in 2013 by bike, it was summer and a straight-forward shallow crossing. Things look to have been re-arranged a little since then. The river was like a delta, with many channels and gravel banks. Most channels were shallow and not too bad to cross. The final one, which I guess was the original river course, was deeper and wider. Some boulders had been placed as stepping stones, but not enough! Anyway, I managed across dry shod and followed the track up to a lovely Scots Pine wood, where the vehicle track ended and a well-made hill path started. Dustings of fresh snow appeared now. I was around 500m ASL, with around 700m of ascent to go.

looking south to brightening skies

0900 and second breakfast

The path is well made and of a reasonable angle, skirting the eastern flank of Carn Allt na Beinne. I followed this for around 2.5km before it popped out onto a broad ridge and the views started to open up to the west. I was walking in deeper snow now, however the line of the path was still evident, continually heading north, albeit with the odd zig-zag. My eyes were for ever drawn west to the main Cairngorm massif, with nothing ahead and to the east except the broad snowy mass of the mountain.

views starting to open up

looking over frozen grasses

This changed instantly when the path reached the dramatic Corrie of the Dubh Lochan, one of five huge corries that form the eastern and northern flanks of the mountain.

Corrie of the Dubh Lochan

The path followed the corrie for a bit, then cut directly across to Coire nan Clach, the summit corrie. The angle of slope was almost insignificant, but my goodness, it is a long way to the summit of Beinn a’Bhuird across the plateau. From first gaining the summit ridge, it is a 4km hike to the cairn and not one you’d want to do in poor weather without excellent navigation skills.

the summit dome, visible above the corrie

I eventually arrived at the cairn at 1045. No one else was around, so I decided to place the mast into the frozen rocks and try for some 2m FM contacts first of all. I’d alerted the Aberdeenshire SOTA posse via whats app, but neglected to post on twitter until I was walking up to the cairn. You never know what you’re going to get on 2m round here. I was very high, but also very remote.

Beinn a’Bhuird GM/ES-004

I hooked up the “disposable” Quasheng HT to my Slim-G. I turned the radio on and immediately heard two English stations having a QSO! Then I realised my 4G had disappeared. Probably a case of my phone not knowing which mast to use and deciding to use none. Oh well, I called on 145.500 MHz anyway and was immediately answered by 2M0SQL Peter up in Elgin and then his friend GM1TGY Charlie from Aberlour, both of whom had seen my tweet. Next, a very weak @MM7MOX Andy from GM/SS-225, some 160km south. Finally @2M0WNA Mike got his chance and that was it for 2m for now Summit qualified! Simon would be along later, once he’d reached the summit of Geallaig Hill GM/ES-036.

I wandered over to the corrie rim for a stretch and look around. My phone sprung back to life. I’d set up HF here in that case. I retrieved my gear from the summit and started setting up near the corrie. I found just enough frozen turf on the rocky summit to arrange three guys and proceeded to raise the mast along with my 12.5m / 41’ random wire. As I’d planned on using the 10m band today, I did think of taking a resonant antenna, however that would have meant carrying more stuff and also my 7m Spiderbeams pole. I saw some sense when I picked up my pack, filled with winter gear, food, axe and crampons. The compromise antenna and carbon mast were the only sensible option on a day out like this one.

HF Setup

As promised I started on 10m SSB, running 5 watts. Not by design, but because I’d been testing microphones at home using a tiny SA and forgotten to change the settings. My 10m signal was a laser beam to Portugal, with four of my six contacts being CT. The other two were Polish. I tuned down to 17m and put another ten in the log, all EU, however three summit calls from @SV4SWQ, @SV2RUJ and @DL1CR.

happy times on 10 and 17m SSB

It was now past 1205 and I’d been on the summit for over an hour. I had a long way to go to get back and I wanted to complete this before darkness. Oh, I’d forgotten about Simon! I glanced at whatsapp and saw he’s reached but was having coax issues. I took the opportunity to pack up, whilst still monitoring the handheld. Then I had lunch. Then I looked around and took more photos. Finally, at 1225, Simon appeared and we had a brief chat on 2m FM, 5/9 both ways as we were LOS and just 20km apart. Despite the temperature, I wasn’t really cold. I’d had my Buffalo shirt on since the outset and it was a windless day with dry air. The usual creeping dampness wasn’t around. None the less it was time to push off and head down.

I followed the corrie rims as much as possible on the way back, probably too far as I nearly ended up climbing the south summit and I missed the path cut off. Never mind, it was worth it for the views.

The not-so-distant summit of Ben A’an GM/ES-006 bathed in sunlight

hoar ice on the corrie rocks

During my activation I’d noticed cloud moving in from the south. Indeed, many of the lower summits around Glenshee had been obscured all day. As I headed back across the vast plateau, the cloud bank rolled ever closer, like a slow creeping death. Off to the west it now obscured Beinn Bhrotain and crept up the flanks of the mighty Cairn Toul. Above me though, blue skies and warmth, so much so that the Buffalo had to come off and I descended for a while in my under top, feeling the rare warmth on my skin.

a final look over to the summits to the west. Some of the highest mountains in The British Isles

the descent

As I dropped down away from the plateau, I took one look back at the bulk of the mountain. It was still clear. I’d made a good choice today. Soon I was back at the ford and decided to stop for a second lunch. By the time I’d finished that it was 1445 and I knew I had an hour and a half ahead of me along the main track. And that’s what it took, with me arriving back at the Landie at 1615 in the fading afternoon light.

final glance back through the Scots Pine forest

Summary
Tired legs at the end of a long day, but so worthwhile. I actually had an entire 100km² of the National Park to myself. It was such a peaceful day out, with my only company being a couple of hares and some seasonal Snow Buntings whizzing across the plateau. Beinn a’Bhuird is a huge lump of a hill, but is worth the trip for the vast corries, and in the summer, the sub-Arctic landscapes. On this occasion, vast, ever-changing skies and hoar iced rocks provided the visual delights. It was great to bag it on 2m on my third visit and to have success on 10m with 5w into a random wire. My last trip up there was on my multi-day hike across the Cairngorms and I was forced to camp on the summit for the night, having scraped six 40m contacts at 7.30pm in the rain, and that was in August 2022. Nine tops on the way to Glen Feshie

Now the itch has been scratched and balance restored, and to quote The Foo Fighters, “It’s times like these we learn to live again”, which was the song on repeat in my head as I walked the long and lonely miles back to the car park.

73, Fraser MM0EFI

42 Likes

Great report of an excellent day, Fraser. Was delighted to work you on 2m - especially as I initially misread your alert and drove up to my local high spot a day early …:weary::weary:. Still, it was well worth going back the next day to catch you then. :+1: 73 Mike

2 Likes

Hi Fraser those are spectacular photographs. I’m glad I was able to be part of that activation. When we spoke initially I was still setting up my station and we conversed using 2 watts and the rubber duck antenna on my FT818. Later I had the external battery and the flowerpot antenna connected for 5w.
You had the better weather yesterday, the sun was struggling to show through the clouds and it got very cold and damp by lunchtime in the Borders. The ground was frozen on the way up but thawed a bit for the return journey.

After our s2s on 2m, I put a spot out on 40m and had the biggest pile up I’ve ever dealt with, 25 QSO’s in 28 minutes, mostly G stations. I had a breather after that and then put a spot out on 15m which brought another 13 QSO’s in 12 minutes, including a trio of s2s from Europe. No transatlantic activity this weekend for me.
After just over an hour it started to get really cold in the increasing wind and the sky was dark with rain so I packed up and got off the hill. Much shorter than your epic journey though.
I didn’t lean on the trig point, it was like that when I found it !
Good to be out on the hill though.
Andy
MM7MOX

2 Likes

Great photos and report, thanks.

1 Like

Beautiful! To quote back the oft-received line:

“Looks like Scotland New Zealand only …”

I could even convince myself of which Otago, NZ range you’re exploring!

2 Likes

To be honest, your signal didn’t come up very much at all the second time you called me.

Well done on the 40m pile-up. You kept the chasers busy so I could make my escape. :smile:

2 Likes

I wasn’t goimg to mention that, but now you have.

What a Numpty!!

2 Likes

Guilty as charged m’lud…:joy::joy:

5 Likes

A super report Fraser!

I’m itching to get out for some winter SOTA. Ingleborough G/NP-005 is looking lovely in the low sunlight but it definitely needs some snow!

I wasted a bit of time at Kendal Mountain festival a couple of weeks ago, whilst my son was a college, hearing tales of icy adventures just whetted my appetite even more!

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: for some snowy SOTA days in the coming months.

73, Colin

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing what was an ambitious day brought to life by a great report and stunning photographs. Life is what you make it.

3 Likes

I really, really fancy a trip to New Zealand, well we both do. Hopefully some day soon…

1 Like

Thanks Kevin.

Absolutely. I am fortunate to have vast open spaces on my doorstep. SOTA has had me re-visit many local mountains, but always different seasons, routes or modes of transport. Hiking 18 miles to qualify Beinn 'Bhuird on 2m with a £12 radio was a bonus!

5 Likes

It’s the last photo that captures things well. The Scots pine, heather, dead vegetation, the specific colour temperature of the late light, a icy summit top and the classic ground of an estate track. It’s just so typically “that part of Scotland”.

Then there’s feeling of achievement you get when you get to that place of ‘safety’, the place that once there, you can spend a few minutes chilling knowing it’s a straightforward walk back to the car so you can now relax a little. So whilst I’ve not done a walk as long as that I can mentally experience what you did by matching your extravaganza with some of my longer treks. Whilst it may be physically tiring it’s one hell of a mental boost doing a trek like yours.

6 Likes

I turned around to look back at the hills before dropping down the slope of the new NTS track. Glad I did, and yes everything in that picture says Cairngorms.

Mentally, SOTA used to add a level of stress to a day on the hills. Extra planning, getting to summits on time, could I activate it, would there be 4G etc etc etc. Sometimes it ruined a hill day. In reality it was Me that ruined the day through my anxiety, not SOTA. With more experience, that has flipped. On Sunday I managed to walk in 9 miles and for 3hr 40min. without worrying, yet still got to my destination within 5 minutes of my plan. I stayed longer than planned on top, enjoying the radio and the views. I had more video and photo stops and an extra break on the way back, knowing that I just had to cross the ford to be relatively safe.

I had a clear head. Mentally, I was in a really good place, an almost spiritual feeling of sensing my place in this landscape. I believe the scale of the walk, the landscape and a full day without seeing any humans all contributed.

8 Likes

Ask Tom or Jimmy about long Cairngorm treks - need to measure our “little jaunt” sometime! Nothing beats a long walk in those hills

4 Likes

Lovely words Fraser. Regardless of how each activation goes, I almost always find a day of SOTA leaves me in a better headspace and takes me away from the ups and downs of everyday life.

4 Likes

Hi Fraser,
Another great activation well told and with super pics. But if your wire is 41 ft long it’s not random. Non resonant maybe.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

It is in the list I used Ron.
29 35.5 41 58 71 84 107 119 148 203 347 407 423

Random Wire Antennas - Best Lengths To Use For Random Wire

1 Like

So clearly not random!

2 Likes

HaHa! Yes, “random wire” is the worst term possible to describe a “non-resonant wire antenna with relatively low impedance that must avoid a half-wave or anything near it at all cost

It does roll off the tongue easier though.

2 Likes