My 57th and possibly last SOTA birthday celebration (Part 1)

Hello Guru, TNX qso today. Never throw in the towel. Think that your family and your friends are with you.
FTE ABZ
José

5 Likes

Good Luck with the treatments, Guru. Though not climbing summits, here at 67 yrs am walking a similar path. This cancer stuff is not as much fun as it’s cracked up to be. 73 Carl WB0CFF

7 Likes

Guru

It has been a real pleasure to work you so many times this year. Yours is one of the few call signs that now comes up in my phones predictive text!

Good luck with the treatments. We are all behind you.

Till next time 73

Martin

3 Likes

Guru,

Such rotten news, such rotten luck. We’re all wishing the very best for you.

73, John

5 Likes

So sorry to hear this new, Guru. Keep fighting and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope to join you in celebrating this and future birthdays!

VY 73, pat - ki4svm

4 Likes

Hello Guru @EA2IF :wave:

I will try to be qrv at your birthday activation. Would be very happy if we hear each other and have a qso :+1: :beers:

But i will not give a thought if this will be your last SOTA birthday activation… The idea with the birthday and a matching summit I find quite nice. Maybe I would like to do something like that and then I would like to have you in my log!

All the best for your treatments. I keep my fingers crossed that you will feel better soon and that you will be there for your family, for yourself and of course for us, your SOTA friends, for a long time to come! :mount_fuji: :muscle: :slightly_smiling_face:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

8 Likes

Dear Guru,

After our nice QSO of today, these are very sad news.
I’m just some Months younger than you and I have no idea how I would react, beeing in a similar situation.

Just keep in mind that you have so many friends that are with you, even if you have never seen them.
Your yearly ritual is a very good idea and I’m already thinking for my personal one…

Please continue and enjoy the activations and the nice moments that arrive when one is out in nature, as I did today. Unbelievable moments, no money can buy.

I wish you a lot of strength and hope you will activate on many more birthdays!

Good luck and all the best,
Stephan

8 Likes

You have given me much excitement when I hear you calling me, Guru. All any of us ever does is keep on keeping on. CU on there, Buddy - fred KT5X / WS0TA

3 Likes

Como Andy, es muy difícil decir cómo me siento después de leer tu correo electrónico.
Aquí, entre todos tus amigos, espero que las próximas semanas, meses y años sigan siendo muy numerosos.
Eres una persona valiente y de voluntad fuerte, rodeada de tu familia y amigos.

Contamos contigo.

Éric

5 Likes

Vážený Guru, dne 11. ledna budu určitě od rána sledovat všechny spotty a budu tak velmi rád činit i v dalších letech. Snad se mi v té hromadě kamarádů podaří udělat s tebou další naše spojení. Jsem mírně pokročilý a vážím si všech osobností SOTA, od kterých se stále snažím učit. Můj veliký učitel a kamarád Milan má značku OK1IF. To je dobrý sufix a dobré znamení. Držíme ti palce.
Libor OK1DU

5 Likes

Guru -

So thankful you have chased me a bit and my highly average CW skills! I will keep an ear out for your summit but no yagi over here so who knows! Hope it’s a blast of an activation!

73 - Chris N8PEM

4 Likes

Awful news, Guru. While I don’t think we have ever worked via RF, I did enjoy the occasional chat on Peanut during lockdown last year as you were heading for treatment. Hopefully there’s a silver lining to the story, but either way, this thread alone should serve as proof you’re a much loved member of SOTA and have had a huge impact across the world. Happy Birthday for this and the following years!

5 Likes

I was also stuck for words upon the news I received yesterday whilst travelling to Devon.

I add my thoughts and best wishes to those above and will endeavour to be on the air for an S2S.

VY 73

Colin

5 Likes

Guru,

Cancer is absolutely horrible and I can’t imagine what you and your family are going threw at this time and I’m sorry to hear that your time is limited, my thoughts and prayer to you and hope that chemo will help relieve some of your pains and that your birthday activation will be the best one yet.

As a new activator within Sota your call being in my log would have been a honor and hope to maybe still get it.

All the Best Guru and like others have said before The summits are all easy 10’s on the other side and the skies are blue and wx is always perfect.

73 my friend and again my thoughts and prayers are being sent.

De VE6JTW, Jesse

4 Likes

Hi Guru,
You shared your sad news update with me a day ago and you know you have my deepest and best wishes for a recovery. I want to acknowledge your excellent hospitality when I visited Pamplona in 2019 and the subsequent friendship you have shown me. I respect your enthusiasm and dedication to your hobby. If I could, I would be on a nearby summit to give you an s2s on your 57th celebration. I’ll be there in thought though.
73 and keep climbing.
Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

4 Likes

My friend Guru, the first paragraphs of your message produce a lot of sadness for those of us who appreciate you, but then, thanks to your integrity, we regain our spirits to give it back to you by sharing with you the difficulty and sending you the strength of friendship and a fraternal embrace.
Your signal as a person is always 599.
We will always remain attentive to your call, happy birthday.
Elena and Alejandro.

8 Likes

I am so sad to recieve this news @EA2IF Guru. We have communicated on so many issues including your valuable report for SOTA News on SOTA activity in Spanish speaking regions. I know from my work colleague and friend Juan Ramirez de Haro, who was taken by this, that medical care for this disease in Spain is excellent, so I hope that can work for in your favour. I hope for the best for you.
73 Jim

4 Likes

Hi dear Guru,
Being part of the Sota family here in Pamplona has facilitated a close relationship as we have shared ideas, joint activation, projects, stories and pictures these recent years.

I admire you have faced all your personal situation with determination and transparence, being clear with us, your friends.
Count on me if I have the chance to go up in the mountain in your #57 anniversary.

Like for the rest of the Sota community, it is difficult to find words, but you’ll have my prayer and we all be sending hope and companion in this moment.
Un abrazo fuerte,
73 Ignacio

11 Likes

I can see from this thread, that you have not become a dear friend just to me, but to many others in the SOTA family Guru.

As per our PMs, I am pleased and inspired that you are going to continue the positive fight against the cancer, and continue activating the summits.

Regarding your choice for 058, maybe we could celebrate together on G/LD-058?

GL dr Guru.

Tom M1EYP

8 Likes

Hola Guru. No tenía la menor idea de la situación de tu salud. Pero de lo que sí tengo idea ahora es de tu temple de acero para continuar como cualquiera de nosotros lo hace.
No sé si admirar o agradecer (posiblemente las dos cosas a la vez) tu sinceridad para contarnos el camino que estás recorriendo.
Lo más importante de todo es que dejes huellas en los distintos caminos que recorres.
Vendrán los sabios e experimentados 57 y seguramente muchos más cumpleaños se seguirán sumando.
Takeo

5 Likes