More than single "salary" in many areas of /P activity

Hi Eric @F5JKK,
Nice to log you so many times :wink:
To avoid off topic in thread opened by Guru @EA2IF

I decided to open new thread because your post inspired me to underline one detail of /P activity :wink:

Nowadays for SOTA is no more double references.

Some time ago, there was a discussion about double (border summits) summits references. Sometimes they were even triple references.
As long as they existed and it was consistent with SOTA rules, they were activated.
I also did so for some time, then stopped.
Now they have been deleted and each summit has only one SOTA reference.

This is OK I think because if you do one job, you should receive one salary.

Nevertheless, at the moment we can go to one summit and then send the log to SOTA, GMA, WFF, and maybe even somewhere else ā€¦

How is this different from double (triple) SOTA references that have been canceled ?

In fact it is multiple salary for one job ā€¦ isnā€™t it ?

73, Jarek

3 Likes

Jarek,

I think Guru meant to say he was very disappointed rather than cheated. If SOTA activators do not send ā€œ/Pā€ but " S2S" the problem would almost vanish for Guru. A few operators taking part in non SOTA mountain based awards might legitimately call S2S but I expect they would not be many.

I am very disappointed that I do not have to fend off many /P callers when on a peak. New Yearā€™s Day rollover is the only time I have many S2S calls.

Ron
VK3AFW

4 Likes

Hi Ron,

This topic is not about that :wink:
Anyway thanks for your post.

73, Jarek

I canā€™t see any equivalence between /P and S2S. S2S tells you that you are being called from another summit. /P tells you that you are being called by a portable station that frankly could be in any sort of location, and probably but not necessarily running low power.

Incidentally, complaints that have been voiced about the use of /P or for that matter /QRP, because they are not a license requirement, remind me of the fascist principle that everything that is not compulsory is forbidden. :wink:

2 Likes

Yup. I too have felt an anti-climax after struggling to work another /P station through QRM and QSB only to find it wasnā€™t a SOTA summit. Initially I thought all that effort and struggle for no S2S points and then thought well at least it was good training for when there is a weak S2S chaser calling. All I can say when I have had non-SOTA (GMA normally) stations call me on an activation they havenā€™t been sending S2S or /P/P/P to try and bump themselves up any queue I may be running.

So for the absence of doubt, I can see what Guru is trying to say. And for the further absence of doubt, if you are /P for what ever reason, Iā€™m still happy to work you even if you offer me no extra points. :wink:

EDIT: This is probably in the wrong thread.

6 Likes

Shiver down spine

Thatā€™s more Totalitarian than Facist.

Have this:
All Chasers are Equal, but some are more Equal than others.

2 Likes

Sorry, Iā€™ve misunderstood what you meant by the word ā€œsalaryā€. I read the rest of your post under a misapprehension.

Ron
VK3AFW

Going off topic is something that seem to be a requirement on all SOTA threads.

1 Like

Due to some misunderstanding I repeat below what is the subject of this topic:

I decided to open new thread because your post inspired me to underline one detail of /P activity :wink:

Nowadays for SOTA is no more double references.

Some time ago, there was a discussion about double (border summits) summits references. Sometimes they were even triple references.
As long as they existed and it was consistent with SOTA rules, they were activated.
I also did so for some time, then stopped.
Now they have been deleted and each summit has only one SOTA reference.

This is OK I think because if you do one job, you should receive one ā€œsalaryā€.

Nevertheless, at the moment we can go to one summit and then send the log to SOTA, GMA, WFF, and maybe even somewhere else ā€¦

How is this different from double (triple) SOTA references that have been canceled ?

In fact it is multiple ā€œsalaryā€ for one job ā€¦ isnā€™t it ?

73, Jarek

No, it is not multiple salary.

It would be if and only if is for you and only you. But everybody can go to that spot and gain the same

1 Like

Yes, everybody can activate summit one time and earn points from SOTA, GMA & WFF if activated summit belongs to all those programs.
This I called ā€œmultiple salary for one jobā€ :wink:
This is similar to double/triple SOTA references of single summit that we had some time ago.

73, Jarek

No, I dont think. At least, not from this moment on

You will climb to this sumnit only once, I agree. But, if you want it for sota I will ask sota reference. If you want it for wff I will ask wff reference. So you will pay by time your multiple salary

Thank you all on this reflector for comments. It helps me clear some things in my head. I will change my behaviour acording. It helps me a lot. Thank you again

1 Like

Hi Jarek,

Now I understand. Many people get double salaries in the real world. But it involves some extra work.

In VK some SOTA operators will also give out a WWFF reference if the summit is in a listed park. Because of the way WWFF works itā€™s the activator who loads the log and the chaser gets a free ride by the software listing him. It costs the activator time so extra work for a second salary seems fine.

When activating I have frequently been called and asked for my VK Shires reference which I usually donā€™t know. So no one gets extra pay. The VKlogging program by Peter VK3ZPF incorporates all details you might want including these other programs. It requires taking a tablet or notebook computer which I donā€™t want to do.

1 Like