Looking for DX S2S into Europe on Friday (Dec 4)

I’ll be running 100 watts at about 1400 UTC looking for S2S into Europe this Friday, December 4th. Hopefully there are takers to give it a try? I’ve only ever had 1 DX S2S and I’m anxious for more!
Charlie NJ7V

3 Likes

Hi Charlie, I’d like to go out to a summit, but we’re lockdown, bloody virus!! anyway good luck!

1 Like

Oh damn! Unfortunate. Sorry to hear that. Well, maybe a chase from you then. We’ll see. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Charlie,
You don’t say which band and mode you intend using or what you intend to use as an antenna. I can also run up to 100 watts portable (SSB to loaded vertical or OCF dipole) on 40 through 10m and am planning to get out this week and probably will be on my second summit around 1400 UTC. I’m dependant upon the weather and the plan at the moment is to activate tomorrow however if this snow doesn’t stop I will be delaying the activation until later in the week, which could coincide with your Friday activation.

However the 5800 mile path from near Phoenix, Arizona to South Germany will be pushing the limits even with the improved SFI etc, as much of the path is across the US and therefore a land rather than a sea path.

73 Ed DD5LP

Hi Ed and thank for the comment. I suppose it would have helped to give that info here, although my alert is up. I’ll start on 17m CW then go to 20m CW on single band double-bazooka’s. It was just a month ago that I worked 20 DX stations (4 from Germany) on the same set up. They may have been running more power but still . … The path to Europe is best in November so I’d say were about the same now as it was in late October. So with improved solar flux I am encouraged by the prospects. It would be great if we could give it the ol’ collage try and see what happens even if it will be on SSB?
Thanks!
Charlie NJ7V

2 Likes

Hi Charlie,

I have a plan to be active on Friday, I will inform the reference on Thursday.
Hope to S2S.

73, Jarek

1 Like

I’ve only ever had 1 DX S2S and I’m anxious for more!

S2S is fun, transatlantic S2S even more so! Either I have gotten much, much better in the two years I’ve had my license or the sun has been smiling upon me!
On 7th of November, I managed to talk to Eric, VA2EO on VE2/QC-005 and on the 8th to Bernie, N1NDN on W2/GA-165.
The problem is that now in Central Europe, it gets dark quite early (sunset at about 15:45 UTC). So when you get up and ready, my bum is cold and the batteries are gone (see SOTA Song).
Additionally, the weather tends to be somewhat unfriendly. My last activation on HB/BE-101 was almost completely in fog →

and I had to give up about 1/2 hour before NA stations became active.

Maybe, I’ll head to HB/BE-123 in the late afternoon, subject to wx. I could be there from ~14 UTC to max ~17 UTC. Caution: I’m not yet fluent in CW, so I work only SSB.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

2 Likes

Sounds great Jarek! Thanks!

Hi Martin - yeah that makes sense. Nice work on your DX S2S. It would be great to get a QSO with you if everything works out. With your conditions I guess we’ll just have to see how it goes. Thanks for the note and don’t freeze your but off!
Charlie NJ7V

I’ll try to be there. Going thru my notes from 7th of November again, I see that I heard KF7NP on W7A/MN-143 on both 17m and 20m, but he didn’t answer my calls :frowning: . So it just might be possible.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

The weather here this morning is not as was predicted. It’s taking longer for the snow and ice to clear, so I am rescheduling my activations to Friday after all. Unfortunately, it appears the SFI will be down in the eighties by Friday from the current over-100 number at the moment.

73 Ed.

Hi Martin,
I am sorry I missed you on November 7. I was running 100 watts SSB into a 5 band linked vertical for that activation. I had a very high noise level on that summit possibly from an arcing transformer for the aircraft warning light on the summit. I did have an S2S with HB9EAJ, HB9DQM and DL3SBA that morning. I hope to catch you on a future activation.

Burke, KF7NP

Hi Burke,

no problem :slight_smile: It was an exciting afternoon hearing stations from the east cost. I enjoyed it very much.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

Hi Charlie,

I will be on a nearby summit on Friday from 13.30Z - 15.00Z, which is about sun set over here.

Looking for your CW sigs on 17m and 20m with KX2, 10W, dipole on 20m and half-wave vertical on 17m!

Hope for S2S!

73 Heinz

1 Like

I have a bonus day’s holiday this Friday and this seems like a chance to bimble to my local hill and play with my new-to-me K2. Except the forecast is for heavy snow early morning and then very heavy rain all day after. :frowning:

1 Like

I like the sound of that Heinz. I’ll be listening!
Charlie NJ7V

Oooof Andy - that weather doesn’t sound appealing. I hope it isn’t all that bad, you get out there, and we happen to get that QSO. Thanks for letting me know.
Charlie NJ7V

14:00

NJ7V on W7A/CS-020

QRO, DX S2S? PSE Try 2M-CW? (Posted by NJ7V)

17‑cw,​ 20‑cw,​ 144‑cw,​ 30‑cw,​ 40‑cw

I am sorry Charlie but on 14:00 UTC I need to by on way back from the summit because this is twilight time nowadays.

73, Jarek

1 Like

Yeah Jarek - understood. It’s a tough time. 1400 is sunrise for me. I’d love to be on a bit earlier but propagation is best when we are both seeing the sun and a 4:00 am departure (my time) is about as early as I can muster.
Charlie NJ7V

1 Like

Hi Charlie,
If I manage to make my third summit tomorrow, I’ll self spot on SotaWatch my “wished for” on the air time will be 14:15 UTC.

73 Ed.

1 Like