Looking for DX S2S into Europe on Friday (Dec 4)

Ok Ed - I hope it works out! I’ll watch for you.
Charlie NJ7V

Hope your WX is better than here. I woke to about 3-4in of very wet heavy snow and it was raining with fine rain, temp 2C. XYL’s car (on summer tyres) failed miserably on the level. It’s lightweight and has wide low profile (for its size) tyres. Useless as the car squished the snow straight to ice. Took me, XYL and 2 neighbours with shovels and grit to get it back to the drive. My pickup had no issues in 2WD never mind 4WD. So that was 45mins of fun before breakfast. Since then we have had over 1in of rain and the snow has melted mainly. Huge pools of standing water, rivers running down the sides of the road, sewers overflowing. Absolutely dire. Too wet to even take the dog out. I opened the door, she looked out and turned round and went back to bed! :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry, Charlie, 20 metres was totally dead with me on my summit around 1400 UTC yesterday, 40m was very noisy and only managing inter-EU contacts - perhaps another time.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Ugh Andy! That WX sounds absolutely miserable. I doubt anybody would want to be out in that. That’s hilarious about your dog and it speaks volumes! The weather for me was pretty miserable but not that bad. I left my house at 3:45 am local and was on summit at 6:30 am. I opened the door to get out and felt that -9°C temp with 32 km/h wind and got right back in and put a few layers on.
Charlie NJ7V

That’s OK Ed. I probably couldn’t have pulled you out S2S anyway because all the DX stations were coming in multi-path. I was really struggling to copy them. A very week signal DX S2S would have been nearly impossible with the muilti-path headache. I logged 12 from France, Spain Belgium and Germany but they were all the regular big stations I think. No S2S. The hunt continues!
Charlie NJ7V

It is a pity that you were not around on 7th November for the Trans-Atlantic S2S QSO Party Charlie. Conditions were quite reasonable and many of us made some good S2S contacts across the pond. The event runs twice a year in April and November, cancelled in April this year for obvious reasons. Even in November many of us were restricted in EU.

The advantage of the S2S events is that there are more activators on summits each side of the pond looking for S2S contacts. However, with 100W capability I am sure it won’t be long before you make the S2S you are looking for.

73, Gerald G8CXK / G4OIG

1 Like

Yes Gerald, I was disappointed I couldn’t participate in the Trans-Atlantic Event this year. It would have been a great opportunity but I had a conflict. This Covid mess doesn’t help either. Looking forward to April.
Charlie NJ7V

2 Likes