Highest summit activated ?

Hello there,

i was just curious about what was the highest summit ever activated worldwide in the SOTA program ? Probably not Mt Everest, hihi ! But nevertheless, which one ?? Just wondering…

Sly

1 Like

Aconcagua :wink:
16 Feb 2019 by LU/SQ9FVE - for the first time :exclamation:

73, Jarek

5 Likes

Wow ! Impressive !!! Thanks ! No bonus for 20000ft + ??

Why?

No bonus ? It was their summer !!! ??? :smile:

2 Likes

Sorry Andy i was only kidding, i am however very impressed by the feat.

I guess if we start having bonuses here and there for everything, things will get very complicated real soon.

1 Like

You get something much, much better than bonus points when you activate really high mountains like that one… the deep respect of your fellow SOTA peers.

11 Likes

I wouldn’t have expected a 20k being activated. I am just in awe.

2 Likes

Aconcagua twice.
First by SQ9FVE and Second by LU9MZO. LU9MZO worked UHF, VHF and HF frequencies.

5 Likes

I guess if you work Base camp on vhf/uhf it counts,

Take a look at Diego´s log (LU9MZO) It´s impressive! After and before Aconcagua activation he has activated other peaks over 5000m.

6 Likes

Most of the really tall summits I’ve activated in VA (and one in CA) have been easy to access either as drive-ups or short and well designed hikes. It’s the random 2, 4, and 6 point summits that require effort. Some of the hardest ones I’ve done were only worth 4 points.

Chris

3 Likes

Chris, i agree,

the toughest hike in my entire life was a 2 pts, with multiple blow-downs all the way…

Diego is local to the highest peaks of the Andean region and he actually started as a mountaineer and climber when he came across amateur radio and fell in love with the combination of both.

8 Likes

Muito obrigado Guillermo,

at least he was not in the “death zone” but still, i’ve only done a few low summits below zero degrees and it was not very comfortable at all, i just can’t imagine doing it in these conditions. Bravo Zulu to him !

Sly

3 Likes

Come to VE6 my favorite 4 pointer to date is Mt Burke VE6/RA-070 8,339’ :grin:

3 Likes