Guru, EA2IF is now Silent key (Part 1)

Very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

John

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know you for a long time, but we shared the same passion for the mountains. You donā€™t have to look at your face to know. We share some talk on the tops about health. I deeply regret that you donā€™t take the mountain goat from here to where you are now, but at the gates of wherever you are, they will surely deliver it to you. For your effort and your passion in the sota project. Until the end, you did two summits in a day that we shared the two s2s. My condolences to family and friends.

No te conocĆ­a hace mucho tiempo, pero compartiamos la misma pasiĆ³n por las montaƱas. No hace falta mirarse a la cara para saberlo. Compartimos alguna charla en las cimas sobre la salud. Lamento profundamente que no te lleves la cabra montesa desde aquĆ­ hasta donde estĆ©s ahora, pero a las puertas de donde estĆ©s, seguro que te harĆ”n la entrega. Por tu esfuerzo y tu pasiĆ³n en el proyecto sota. Y Hasta el final, hiciste dos cimas en un dĆ­a que compartimos los dos s2s. Mis condolencias a familia y amigos.

5 Likes

I was shocked when reading the message to night and found no words.

My first contact with Guru was in 2016 from me in my shack to him on a summit. Later more QSO with me on a summit or him on a summit, the last in January 2022 from his birthday celebration. After 2016 Iā€™ve got in contact also on the reflector, read his fine activation reports and well founded topics and answers.
Knowing the worsening of his situation I was optimistic nonetheless after reading his last activation reports and learned about his goal of MG.

Guru, I think I transfer the needed points in my mind from my account to yours and remember you as MG.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Iā€™m sure I donā€™t forget this very important member of our SOTA family.

Rest in peace!

Ludwig, DH8WN

3 Likes

He will be sadly missed, and always remembered with warmth.

RIP Guru, a good man.

Adrian.

2 Likes

R.I.P GURU

2 Likes

RIP, Guru. We will all miss your chases and activations.
You have reached the ultimate Mountain Goat now.
Gary

2 Likes

Guru, simplemente que descanses en paz y te deseo lo mejor en tu nueva vida, hasta siempre!

2 Likes

Very sad news. We loss a great operator and a great person.
Ramon, EA3AVV

2 Likes

Itā€™s very sad to hear this news and my condolences go out to his family. Although we had exchanged a few messages on here, I only worked Guru once when he chased me back at the end of Feb ā€˜22. After we had both recognised who we both were, he remarked on my pre-Xmas activations in Italy and then proceeded to complete our QSO in Italian! Looking back, Iā€™m glad I took a pause from the frantic CQ calling so that we could have a proper chat. I was immediately taken by his enthusiasm for SOTA, his warmth and the acceptance of his situation - a true inspiration!
Who knowsā€¦ā€¦ whilst he may have been just short of a becoming a SOTA Goat, he might now be embarking on going for SOTA Angel instead.

RIP Guru e 73 ā€¦ā€¦. a la prossima

3 Likes

Very sorry to hear this. I always looked forward to hearing Guru on the air and reading his writings here on the reflector. He was a special person. Rest in peace Guruā€¦

Ken

2 Likes

We will miss you Guru

RIP

Karel ON4FI

2 Likes

More than anyone else Iā€™ve met on the air, Guru embodied the idea that one can be close even while separated by oceans. We met on the air, we connected through the Reflector, and we corresponded by email on subjects as wide ranging as SOTA, rock 'n roll, and his disease. I so wanted to be part of his most recent birthday activation that, when I couldnā€™t hear him from my QTH, I found a webSDR in Europe from which I could copy him and, to my pleasant surprise, he could copy my transmitted signal. Now Iā€™m really glad we made it work, as it was to be my final QSO with Guru.

Rest well, OM.

Scott WB8ICQ

5 Likes

Muchas Sotas.
Muchos QSOs
Muchos amigos.

Muchas gracias GURU

EA2EHK (Tere) y EA2IF (Guru) 2014

13 Likes

Sad news indeed. He will be missed by many.
Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Guru

2 Likes

So sad news.
So many QSOs with Guru over the past 12 years, last only a few weeks ago.
Will miss you Guru.
RIP

2 Likes

What sad news.

Although Guru has always kept me informed, I am very surprised to hear the news of his death in such a short time. The statements made in his last email (below) made me so confident.

Rest in peace dear Guru.
My condolences to Guruā€™s family and friends.

Heinz

Closing words in Guruā€™s last mail from Sunday March 6, 21:10 on the subject of antenna geometry and mAT-10 (my gift for Guruā€™s 57th birthday):
ā€¦
Regarding my activations, I very much enjoyed them and given they were both drive-ups, I didnā€™t have much fatigue. Cold is my biggest concern, but wearing several layers was perfect.
The contacts with Alaska on 20m and California on 17m were the icing on the cake.
The mAT-10 worked perfectly and I think Iā€™m going to be more often on 17m.

Take care and 73 to you and your wife.

Guru

8 Likes

RIP mi amigo.

Angel

2 Likes

It was always a treat to hear ā€œEA2IFā€ in my earbuds.
Scott kw4jm

3 Likes

RIP Guru. It was a pleasure to be called a friend. All best wishes to your family.

3 Likes

Very sad news.He will be on my mind at my next summit, I will miss his call. Last Saturday I heard his call for the last time during the activity, this gave me hope about his health. Rest in peace Guru.

6 Likes