Guru, EA2IF is now Silent key (Part 1)

In recent weeks I have been chatting with Guru about the possibility of making a contact again (we worked several times, including s2s, about 8 year ago) as I was planning an activation today and would be on a summit this afternoon before sunset, that seemed to be our best chance to make the QSO. Several weeks ago I recorded him, EA2BD and EA2LU, in QSO with a JA activator and sent it to him via whatsapp.

So we hoped to make a QSO tonight. And we were 2 days too late. However, the prediction was right, and I did work EA2BD Ignacio and Jorge EA2LU tonight on 20m CW. It would have been great to make that QSO with Guru but if there is some way he is aware of what his friends have done today, he would be smiling in appreciation and enjoyment about the contacts that took place even though he QSYd to a different frequency just yesterday.

Conditions were quite good, I also worked some other familiar callsigns from EU but I won’t distract from the theme of this thread.

73 Andrew VK1DA/vk2uh
portable on vk2/sw-028 tonight

7 Likes

Guru was an example to us all. Activating almost to the end and posting with his usual cheerfulness.
I wish I had his pragmatism and courage.
Rest in Peace OM 

8 Likes

My condolences to the family.
Shock for me.
A week ago, we were talking to each other via email. He was in the hospital but full of hope.
I can’t believe it.
Descansa en paz AMIGO mĂ­o

73 Jacek SQ9MDN

3 Likes

What a sad news, we will miss Guru.
Guru passed away with much courage, teaching us all a great lesson.
Sincere condolences to his familly.
Gerald F6HBI

4 Likes

Our deepest condolences, RIP
Eva, HB9FPM
Andy, HB9JOE

3 Likes

Very sorry to hear that terrible news. EA2IF will never be forgoten.

2 Likes

As a curiosity, a few years ago, EA2IF contacted a SOTA activity with EA2DNO. He didn’t know anything about SOTA. Iratxe, EA2DNO explained a little about how SOTA works. Since then, he has not stopped activating, hunting, and collaborating with SOTA. It was his passion.

Rest in peace my friend Guru. We will miss you.

In the photo EA2DCA Alberto, EA2IF Guru, EA2BD Ignacio and EA2DNO Iratxe.

73 :cry:

21 Likes

Very sad news indeed. We will miss Guru in our logs.

Condolences to all his family, friends and the SOTA community.

Nick G4OOE

1 Like

So sad to hear this terrible news, my thoughts and condolences are with Guru’s family and friends.

I find it difficult to express my feelings in words, but Guru you were an example to us all through difficult times, your positive outlook was truly inspiring.

I shall always be thankful for Guru’s encouragement with trying to get my CW back after a long absence from amateur radio. I’m sad that we didn’t manage a CW S2S, but grateful that I was able to work you on your recent birthday activation.

Thank you Guru, RIP.

Jonathan G4IVV

3 Likes

I’m sure all SOTA summits will always perfectly resonate to the frequency of his memory. I didn’t know him personally, but I’ll have a thought about him the next time I activate Serra Mitjana EA5/AT-099, a summit in my city, Alacant, which we once talked about as he wanted to activate it.

4 Likes

Very very sad news,
Recently I got a very nice lette from him in responce to my sending him a Christmas card.
I will miss him, we lost a SOTA friend who has a place in the SOTA hall of fame.
My thoughts are with his family, friends and all people close to him.
Guru I hope to meet you when it is my time to go to the eternal summit.
RIP my friend
Vy73
Patrick ON4BCA

4 Likes

Que noticia mas triste,espero que nos sigas ayudando desde el cielo.

Gracias GurĂș,RIP

Manolo EA4CZE
5 Likes

Sad news. Condolences to his family. RIP Guru.

David
G4ZAO

2 Likes

Radio In Peace fella

Karl 2E0FEH

3 Likes

Guru,
ÂĄNos escuchas desde allĂĄ arriba!

Dejas un vacĂ­o enorme en la comunidad SOTA!
Por mi parte, nunca te olvidaré.

Mi mås sentido pésame para todos los tuyos :heart:

Éric

6 Likes

Sad news. My condolences to his friends and family.

3 Likes

I can’t find the words

RIP my friend.

S58R - Rado

2 Likes

That’s such sad news. He last chased me a week ago. It was late on a long day for me and I managed to get the digit wrong in his callsign. Once I corrected myself and sent “Hi Guru” I just felt the warmth in his reply. He was a real asset to SOTA and will be sorely missed. His positive attitude to life even though he knew the end was near was a true inspiration.

RIP Guru

73 de Richard G4TGJ

7 Likes

Very sad to hear this news. I worked very closely with Guru on many things. He was always ready and willing to help out. A great loss to the SOTA world. My condolences to his family and friends .
Jim

4 Likes

real sad news
 we will not forgot Guru and miss him
 deepest condoleances to his family and friends. RIP

kurt

3 Likes