Guru, EA2IF is now Silent key (Part 1)

Ignacio,
Thank you for sharing this sad news. On 20M CW Friday at 1630Z, as I worked EA7GV, then EA2BD, I fully expected to hear EA2IF calling me next in the pile. Perhaps I did. Adios amigo.
Mike, WB2FUV

4 Likes

It was particularly poignant getting Guru in the log over the last few months. His desire to keep on activating right until the end will resonate with many.
R.I.P.
de OE6FEG / M0FEU
Matt

5 Likes

A great loss to the SOTA community, he was an amazing person. My thoughts are with his family.

4 Likes

Really sad news this morning. I had a QSO with Guru on my activation last weekend. Was happy to hear him again. Now I have to recognize that this was my last contact to him.
R. I. P. Guru

5 Likes

This is really tragic news. I have had a lot of contact with Guru both through SOTA and other channels of communication. He was always polite and a true friend.
You will be missed Guru.
R. I. P.

Lars SA4BLM

8 Likes

Its fair to say that when it comes to these matters, Iā€™m not good at translating my feelings into words.

Iā€™m really saddened by Guruā€™s passing, we were in contact fairly regularly via WhatsApp. Guru had given me a candid reply a few weeks ago after I enquired how he was doing.

Our last exchange involved me sending an apology after a very difficult QSO. I had been using my 100mW rig for an activation on Monday and it took many attempts to get Guruā€™s report back to him. After much persistence by Guru, he eventually received his 559 report correctly (I received 229!). I apologised for making the QSO difficult and that next time Iā€™d use a better radio. In typical Guru style, he was totally fine about it. Little did I know that that would be our last QSO.

Guru sent me a picture of him with his children a couple of weeks ago, they had been out to celebrate birthdays. That picture will stay with me, Guruā€™s proud dad smile shining through.

RIP Guru

TU SK E E

14 Likes

Very, very sad news that leaves me speechless.
I will always remember his voice on HF.
Condolences to his family and his friends.

RIP Guru.

Stephan

4 Likes

R.I.P. Guru and mni tnx for a lot of Qs!

4 Likes

What very sad news for us all in the SOTA family as well as for his real family. We knew it was coming but he battled so hard and with such great courage that it was a shock to hear the news this morning. He has reached his final summit. RIP
73 Viki

4 Likes

We all knew this was coming, but itā€™s better to think of a life lived to the full, rather than of loss. Thank you Guru for the 12 chases and 1 S2S. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Ar dheis DĆ© go raibh a anam dĆ­lis.

6 Likes

R.I.P. Guru, Old Chap.
Many thanks for all our contacts and always friendly nature.

John OE7PHI
+

5 Likes

Very sad news in this morning. Iā€™ll miss you and remember our last qso on 10 February 2022.
R.I.P
Clemens, DD2TC

4 Likes

Very sad news.
Guru-san, I wanted to QSO with you more.
Rest in Peace.

Seiji JG4LCS

5 Likes

Very sad news. Sitting here and tears are running down my cheeks.
One can only hope that a fight against cancer can be won but unfortunatly not this time.

One of the big supporters and ambassadors of SOTA here on the reflector and on the bands will be missed. Our last QSO were he shared his current conditions over the air and I wished him a lot of energy is archived here ( video )

Condolences to his family and friends.

8 Likes

I am truly saddened to wake to this news, particularly that it comes so soon after Guruā€™s recent activation. A bright light has gone out in the world and out of SOTA. Guru was a true gentleman, a friend to everyone that he came into contact with. He will be greatly missed.

I will treasure the contacts we made and think of Guru as I look through my log. Rest in peace Guru, you are someone that i consider to be a friend, though like many never had the opportunity to meet.

Gerald G4OIG / G8CXK

6 Likes

Such sad news, fully expected Guru to be one of the regulars in my log today. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP.
Roger MW0IDX

6 Likes

Incredibly sad to hear of Guruā€™s passing, struck me a really nice guy with a great passion for SOTA and the wider hobby.

It sounds like he has had a long battle. The only positive is he was at home with his family and was able to remain active enjoying the hobby he loved to the end. I worked him on my last activation on 6/3/2022.

My condolences to Guruā€™s family, RIP OM
73 Gavin
GM0GAV

7 Likes

So sad to hear the news, both of his passing and missing that MGā€¦
So many times he has been in my log.
So many times.

Condolences
David
G0EVV

4 Likes

RIP Guru.

EA2WX Marcial

4 Likes

Dear Ignacio,
what sad news. I sympathize and wish his loved ones all the best and a lot of strength in this sad time. I thank Guru for many QSOā€™s and he will always be fondly remembered.
Guru, rest in peace!

6 Likes