For all you Defender lovers…

Saw this and the price had me laughing out of my seat!!!

3 Likes

About 200 horsepower short of a Ferrari or Lambo, at the same price. Hmm… hard to decide?

Elliott, K6EL

2 Likes

Excuse me, but isn’t this just a flagrant copy of the look of the Land Rover Defender?

OK, the chassis and motor have nothing to do with the Land Rover design, but the body has been built by Blackbridge Motors to look like a Land Rover and benefit from that look in their sales. It’s not an actual LR body as it doesn’t say LR or Defender on it anywhere (at least not in the pictures given).

Just my thoughts - Ed.

1 Like

It claims to be infused with reliability and that means it’s nothing like a Land Rover :slight_smile:
Seriously if LR owners want reliability they’d have bought a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Some LR owners want the ability to cross tough terrain. The original diesel LR could do that with something like 40bhp and 15 ftoz of torque. Plonking a modern big Left Pondian V8 with all its horse power and torque into a Defender drive trains is only going to result in lots of stripped splines and broken half shafts!

4 Likes

Speaking truth to the masses since 19xx, and loved for it, I’m sure!

Even more, you mean! The only vehicle I’ve needed to carry spare half-shafts in my everyday toolkit. And thats with a "40bhp and …’ diesel

2 Likes

Softly, gentlemen, please; would not want our beloved, reliable, LR4 to overhear you.

I wouldn’t want either a ‘Lambo’, or a Ferrari. I doubt they do roof-racks so I’d not be able to transport my canoe around would I?. Oh, or my skis. And I don’t think they’d legally be able to tow our caravan about either. :smile:

It’s amazing how much respect you can induce looking down on a Ferrari or Lambo from the window of a “landy” - be it a Land Rover or a Land Cruiser.
I had a 4.2L diesel Toyota Land Cruiser, long wheelbase hi-roof troop carrier camper conversion when I first arrived in Australia but had to change it for something smaller as it would not go into the parking garages!
I’d love to have one of those (with the roo bars) over here in Germany today and induce some respect in the little electric car drivers that seem to becoming a plague and putting the electrical grid under strain!

Ed.

2 Likes

Especially with a few dents and scratches at just their eye level for them to admire. A long streak of nice metallic paint along your British army green LR also helps. :wink:

I’ll stick to my old faithful :grinning:

11 Likes

I have spent too many hours digging heavy and gutless Land Cruisers out of Saharan sand dunes. Ok, the 4l straight 6 diesel is good for 1,000,000 km but you want to see the service intervals on those cars. They only last because everything is replaced every 6000km. :smiley:

Oh, and the $300k landie? It will still leak.

3 Likes

Leak in rain ? Or leak out oil? Or both?

2 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

Must be your driving style Matt :wink:

My 1972 Range Rover crossed the Libyan Saraha in 2009, down then back up. Drove from Scotland. No half shafts were harmed, none carried as spares. I did completely smash the windscreen 100 miles from the middle of no where though. And somewhat triumphantly, found a brand new one and fitted it myself, with only one crack. :grinning:

2 Likes

That’s what we fitted those dog-latches on the top-inside of the doors for, latching onto the angle-iron base of the roof. To stop the doors sucking themselves out away from the frame at anything over 20MPh and letting the wind, rain, etc in!

Dog-latch. Ours were home made and not as fancy

2 Likes

Yes. Snapping / stripping half-shafts involved simply an overenthusiastic start from standing in 1st gear, bottom box. Once you learned how to break them, you learned how not to! Possibly the 20 degrees of play in the diffs dididn’t help as it meant a bit of momentum in the drive system could be built up before anything got applied to the half-shafts / wheels.

3 Likes

I hope you don’t drive that on the road with that defective number plate.

4 Likes

Is that the parking spot East of G/WB-005 for Long Mynd Pole Bank?

1 Like

It certainly is :grinning:

2 Likes

I know somebody close to me who would delight in issuing you a ticket for that - never argue with a copper who is on the autistic spectrum :smiling_imp: