Favorite SOTA Knots

Hands down: the prusik hitch. Every other method I’ve tried of attaching a line to a pole has failed in one way or another.

Runner up: reef or square knot. Both are pictured below.

What is your favorite SOTA knot?

73 Eric KG6MZS

9 Likes

As I am rubbish with knots, I make them up as I go along. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Some of these :wink:

7 Likes

I have three favourites:

1. Two half hitches for most situations, e.g. tethering antenna support cords to trees and bushes

2. Clove hitch where slippage would be a problem, e.g. for anchoring my kite-borne 40m EFHW antenna

3. Bowline where a handy loop is needed, e.g. attaching a cord end to a carabiner

5 Likes

A pair of bowlines makes good rope handcuffs if you haven’t got a reel of duct tape/gaffer tape to hand. :wink:

3 Likes

To attach to the end of my antenna wire It prooved itself to use a sheet knot or a double sheet knot. I can usually tie it even under tension. Very easy to undo, very reliable

To attach to nature objects like branches I use something of the “Quick release” family.
And to tension stuff out any variant of Truckers hitch.

6 Likes

Animated Knots is excellent for the knot challenged like I am.

5 Likes

European Death Knot, double fisherman’s, trucker’s hitch.

2 Likes

I can’t get rid of that invasive species from my garden.

3 Likes

Taut line hitch is useful for guylines. Also make frequent use of a bowline

3 Likes

If I use guy lines, this is the one I use.
You can adjust the tension and a quick pull will release the entire knot.

2 Likes

all great knots! I use a nail-knot to attach 50# test (fishing) braid to the end of the antenna wire, no insulator. How to Tie a Nail Knot? Tips, Steps, Variations & Video Instructions

73 fred kt5x

3 Likes

G/LD-023, G/LD-034, G/LD-058! :wink:

9 Likes

I prefer a double figure of 8 knot for making loops, easier for me to remember how to tie it than a bowline.

4 Likes

The useful thing about a bowline is that you can tie it one-handed, I can’t do that with a figure of eight.

3 Likes

For tying into a belay I like this knot too. Unlike a bowline you can see you’ve got it right at a glance. Good when you are tired.

3 Likes

Different kind of “activating” Andy :wink:

3 Likes

I tie antenna support string to my SOTA pole using a Clove hitch has not come off yet during activation. Learnt this knot during my working life putting strings on the tops of young grape vine rootling’s. About 700 knots per day .
Regards
Ian vk5cz …

4 Likes

Most people haven’t a clue how to tie a bowline with one hand. I can’t recall seeing a climber tie it without doing the,; “Rabbit comes out of the hole, runs around the tree…etc .,”

Here’s both ways. the boy scout way, and the sailors way which once learned is quicker and far less prone to errors. With a little practice can be done with one hand. This is how I/we learned and I never saw a sailor ever tie it differently.

7 Likes

Fishing knot user to a attach hook to nylon. Used on sota to attach nylon cord to conductor.

clinchknot

2 Likes