CQ 270 CW SSB Gang! - Cool Kids Sip from the Hour Glass? (Part 3)

Hi Peter,

during the modelling with 4NEC2 I set the distance of the diagonal wires to 3 mm at the crossing point. Consequently, I never positioned the real antenna wires in front and behind the pole but always on the same side, just kept apart by the wire insulation.

My feeding coax is fixed the whole way down behind the pole by rubber straps in order to minimise interference with the antenna. My choke is enclosed in the box in the middle of the dipole.

Good luck with your ongoing trials.

73 Peter

4 Likes

Last Sunday I activated Goorooyaroo VK1/AC-036, a former military training and firing range which has transformed to Goorooyaroo Nature Reserve. Entry to the nature reserve is at own risk!
Local authorities have established a safe 4wd management track to the summit, however access is on foot. I didn’t hear of any exploding Kangaroos or Emus. :slight_smile:

The ascent is 160m over 2 km taking 45 minutes. Ambient temperature was minus 2 degrees C at 8:00 am local time.

36 QSOs on 144.200 MHz SSB ranging from 8 km to 302 km. Notable 2m Dx contacts were John VK2WJ 302 km, Geoff VK3SQ 299 km, Greg VK2EXA 256 km and Chris VK2DO 99 km.

S2S contacts included VK1AAW, VK1TKA and VK1DA.

SOTA QSO Map

Entry gate to the nature reserve

4wd management track

Summit

The hilltop summit borders a military live firing range, it is wise not to enter the live firing range!

Termites consuming a tree

and finally on an adjoining farm property - for the car enthusiasts :slight_smile:

Andrew VK1AD

7 Likes

…thanks Andrew, great report with terrific photos :+1:

Cheers :clinking_beer_mugs:

Geoff vk3sq

3 Likes

I don’t find words to express it any better. Thanks Geoff and thanks Andrew!

4 Likes

Those testaments to the longevity of the Austin and Morris brands seem destined to remain there forever. they are a long way from any residence. Perhaps they have been blown up..

1 Like

If they were ‘blown up’ :firecracker: there wouldn’t be glass in the metal frames! I suspect they were once salvaged for spare parts.

I guess that’s the usual fate of these vehicles, to be a source of spares for the ones the owner is keeping on the road.

Looks like 2x BL 1100/1300 and is the other a Datsun 140 Violet/ 160 Bluebird? All probably 50/55years old.You could probably strip the doors, boot and glass from them to sell on the classic spares market in the UK.

Nice report. When a 2/70 challenge was suggested I was concerned it may not be much interest to VK hams due to the scale of the country and population density. Pleased to have worried un-necessarily.

4 Likes

A fortnight ago I activated Pheasant Hill VK1/AC-021 1455m ASL, 70 km south of Canberra near the ACT/NSW southern border, a remote area and well removed from civilisation. My aim was to activate the peak for the 2m/70cm Challenge, first activation for 2026. Being a >1200m summit I was waiting for the winter bonus to kick in. I had arranged a potential S2S contact with Glenn @VK3YY at VK3/VC-039, some 430 km SW from Pheasant Hill. The southeast area of Australia was dominated by a high pressure Wx system and the Hepburn charts were forecasting strong tropo conditions for Thursday through to Sunday.

The Wx forecast for this region of the ACT (VK1) was minus 4 degrees C at 7 am, luckily no snow but a severe frost and I wasn’t disappointed :cold_face: I had three layers of upper torso clothes, thick socks, gloves and a beanie.

The ascent to the summit is 224m over 2.5 km taking 1hr and 15 min. The walk is an Aussie scrub bash through eucalypt forest with plenty of trip obstacles. My preferred navigation aid is a Garmin 64S however I do carry a 1:25k paper map and compass as back up.

GPX track overlayed on Oz Topo 10m contour. If you are curious about the toilet symbol being well removed from civilisation, the loo is a ‘thunder box’ pit toilet maintained by ACT Parks. The car park is a start point for popular remote bush walks through Namadgi National Park.

Walk profile

The walk begins at Brayshaws Hut car park, remember the ambient temp is minus 4 degrees freezing! Ice crystals formed on a timber log fence from overnight condensation.

Navigating through eucalpt forest. My former military career navigation skills do help :slight_smile:

Summit of Pheasant Hill. The summit terrain is granite boulders and loads of fallen trees.

17 2m SSB QSOs ranging from 45 km to 432 km. Notable 2m Dx contacts were Dave VK2DVM 271 km, Geoff VK3SQ 251 km, Norm VK3DUT 240 km and Chris VK2DO 108 km.

Yes, Glenn and I were rewarded with a completed 432 km tropo S2S between Pheasant Hill and Mt Gisborne VK3/VC-039 in Victoria :slight_smile: The tropo conditions held up for pre and post UTC S2S contacts. Other S2S contacts included Al VK1RX at VK1/AC-040 68 km and Rod VK1ACE at Mt Tennent VK1/AC-025 on 2m FM 36 km.

SOTA QSO Map

A memorable activation for many reasons including cold feet and an excellent S2S with Glenn. For three hours I had the hill and the forest to myself, not another human insight anywhere :slight_smile:

Andrew VK1AD

10 Likes

Hi Andrew,

Another great report. I really enjoyed reading it. The photos are absolutely stunning and really capture the beauty of the Australian landscape.

I smiled at the frosty summit photos. Even though I know it’s winter, they somehow look a little unexpected from this side :upside_down_face:

Congratulations on the impressive DX S2S contact and the other excellent 2 m QSOs. That’s a fantastic result. It’s also great to see another successful outing with the Hourglass antenna. I’m really pleased with mine as well, so it’s always nice to read about your experiences.

Good luck - and, above all, have fun - with the 2 m Challenge. I’m already looking forward to your next report!

73, Roman

3 Likes

Thanks Roman I appreciate your feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

The Aussie bush is my paradise :relieved_face:

Andrew VK1AD

4 Likes

The weather forecast for Saturday morning was for near zero temperatures, but no precipitation and very little wind. With this in mind, and keen to try out my recently built, but not yet finished dual hourglass antenna, I decided to activate VK3/VC-027 Mount Little Joe.
Stephen @VK3SPM had posted an email to the VK SOTA .io group indicating he and Ken @VK3KIM were intending to activate three summits on Saturday. I posted my intentions on the .io group and @VK3YY Glenn also posted that he would be activating in the morning as well.
Mount Little Joe is the lowest ‘mountain’ in the VK3 VC SOTA region at 516 m ASL. There are five lower summits in the region, but they are not named Mount anything. They have names like Ridge, Hill and Peak.
Mt Little Joe is located within the Yarra State Forest, and, over the past two years, this section of the State Forest has become home to Warburton Bike Park where they have currently have over 70 km of mountain bike trails, with a further 90 km of trails planned.
Parking my car on the side of Old Warburton Rd, about 50 metres downhill from the new bike bridge, I loaded up my backpack and headed into the forest. The temperature was 4°C and a low fog filled the valley below. Apart from the behemoth bridge, the bike park has had minimal effect on the forest itself. The new bike trails are about 2 metres wide and, apart from sharing about 700 metres of the maintenance vehicle track, the bikes and other park users are kept apart.


My access route up to the summit is via Summit Track, a steep climb of 155 m over a distance of 420m. I recently purchased a new pair of boots, after the tread on my old hike boots stopped gripping, and I was happy with how the new boots held on up the slippery track.

At the top of the track, is a sign board and four bike trails meeting at the “Mt Little Joe Summit Junction”. The sign board has a map of the bike trails including an indicator showing where you are, a QR code for the bike park website and an Emergency Marker sign. The Emergency Marker sign gives the emergency phone number, triple zero, and a marker reference to quote to assist the emergency services find your location.
This junction is within the AZ, but I hiked another 200 metres to the proper ‘top’ of the mountain to set up my station. The hike from the car to my activating position took just under an hour.


My station set up was similar to recent activations with FT817ND, 1980s style linear amplifier, my single hourglass antenna on a six-metre pole. The six metre pole was secured to a couple of small logs that were laying by the road.



Unfortunately, the dual hourglass antenna didn’t get a run today. As I was packing my backpack this morning, I noticed I had trapped the upper loop wire under the lower loop wire in the lower arm section. This happened Friday night when I quickly soldered where I had trimmed the loops earlier in the week.

My activation started with my first SOTAwatch spot at 2353 UTC and the first QSO on 2 metres three minutes later.
I managed S2S QSOs with VK3KIM and VK3SPM at VK3/VC-039 Mt Gisborne, VK3YY at VK3/VC-011 Brittania Range, and again with VK3SPM and VK3KIM at VK3/VC-040 Camels Hump.
Despite the best efforts of more distant stations, including @VK3SQ, my most distant 2m QSO was 135 km, while my closest QSO was 8 km at Brittania Range.
The lack of longer distant QSOs didn’t really surprise me as Mt Little Joe at 516 m ASL sits in the shadows of taller mountains such as Mt Victoria at 1115 m ASL and VK3/VC-002 Mt Donna Buang at 1259 m ASL.
Thank you to all who responded to my calls, I made a total of 41 QSOs with 24 of these on 2m SSB.

I finished the activation at 0330 UTC and, taking the longer, less steep descent route, I was back at the car in 75 minutes.

7 Likes

Hi Peter

I remember the steep track! Thanks for a comprehensive and informative report. On my one and only activation of Mt Little Joe, the formal mountain bike tracks didn’t exist.

Looking at the map it appears the top summit trail is free from mountain bike riders, is my assumption correct? I will put the summit on my to do list for my next VK3 trip.

Andrew VK1AD

3 Likes

Nice report, Peter. Good to see that the summit track is not on the bike path.
The Mt. Bride Rd. (just a short distance away) has multiple mountain bike tracks now along it as part of the same bike park. The road has been improved as a result (up to Burns Rd.), but had a lot of traffic on it enroute to Britannia Range. Good to work S2S!

Shame that you couldn’t test out the double hourglass. I had an hourglass in the pack (for relevance to this thread :slight_smile: ).

Glenn VK3YY.

5 Likes

Hi Andrew,
Yes, your assumption is correct. The summit track is not part of the Mountain Bike trails, although there is no reason that they couldn’t ride along there if they chose to, it just wouldn’t be as much fun as the twist and turns of the trails.

I didn’t see anyone during the hike up or during my activation, only on the way down. I met a couple with two young children who were heading to the summit. They asked what the view was like at the summit and I informed them it was no better than where we were standing. Little gaps between the trees with not much to see.

4 Likes

Hi Peter,

Thanks for another great report. I always enjoy following your activations, the combination of the walk, the operating and the photos makes for a very enjoyable read.

What a shame about the Dual Hourglass Loop. That’s exactly the sort of thing you don’t want to discover on the summit :face_with_peeking_eye:

It seems Mt Little Joe was a little… well… too little for 2 metres. Here’s hoping the next summit will be more generous in terms of DX :wink:

73, Roman

1 Like

Having not activated for 14 days due to other commitments, I headed out yesterday for my first winter bonus summit activation. Mt Ritchie VK3/VC-003 at 1255m ASL qualifies for 8 points and 3 bonus points. The weather forecast was favourable, and, with the recent warm temperatures, any snow that was on the hill would be long gone.
Mt Ritchie has two methods of access. One starts at 730 m ASL, and follows MVO roads for about 6.5 km rising up 525 m. The second route starts at 1070m ASL, has a short length of scrub bashing then follows an abandoned MVO road and firebreak within the Marysville State Forest for 1.4km. This route rises 185 m and is my preference as it allows more on-air time, but the sharp rise, almost as steep as VK3/VC-027 Mt Little Joe, is getting tougher each year.
From home to the start of my preferred route is about 105 km with the last 13 km being on reasonable quality bush roads. About 5 km from my destination, the road was partially blocked by a fallen tree.


A quick evaluation of the situation presented four options.

  1. Park the car nearby and walk the remaining 5 km
  2. Drive around the fallen trunk and risk slipping off the side of the road and getting stuck
  3. Drive about 22 km and hike the longer route up
  4. Move the fallen trunk and drive on.

Unsurprisingly, option four won out, and 10 minutes later, thanks to a length of 12mm rope and the car’s tow hitch, the log was off to one side and path was now clear.


Fifty metres further along the road was a second fallen tree that someone else had dragged to a similar position.
A mud hole, about 50 m before a locked gate, and 40 m from my destination, has grown in size since my last visit on New Year’s Day 2025.

I found a convenient place just off the road to park, so didn’t need to risk driving through the bog.

Leaving the car at 0945 local time I made my way through the scrub to the remnants of an MVO road and, after about 1 hour of really slow hiking with a couple of breaks, I had completed the 1.4 km journey to the summit.

I set my station in a cleared area of the AZ that is also part of the Yarra Ranges National Park, allowing a dual activation with the WWFF program.

My 2m station consisted of an FT817ND, 6m pole and a single hourglass antenna. The 6m mast was supported by my two hiking poles and a convenient rock. For HF contacts I swapped the hourglass for an inverted L antenna/L match combination.

Starting on 2m SSB my first QSO was an S2S contact with Peter @VK3PF on VK3/VT-091 a distance of 112 km. I made a further seven QSOs on 2m SSB then moved to HF. I made 2 QSOs on 30m and 26 QSOs on 40m before returning to 2m SSB for a further 3 QSOs. I had three 2m SSB QSOs with Geoff @VK3SQ who was comparing his Yagi antenna with his hourglass antenna 146 km away from my summit.
After about 2 hours on the summit, I packed up and returned to the car by the same route. Travelling downhill I was back at the car in 25 minutes.

On the way out I stopped at a canopy bridge that has been built to help arboreal mammals, such as the critically endangered Leadbeater’s Possum, move across the cleared gap between the heavily treed areas either side of the road clearing.




Information about this type of bridge can be found here:
Mitigating the effect of linear infrastructure on arboreal mammals in dense forest: A canopy bridge trial - Mitchell - 2022 - Ecological Management & Restoration - Wiley Online Library

Critically endangered possum uses two different types of canopy bridges to cross forestry roads — Transport Ecology

I have seen these bridges in a few different locations around Victoria but previously I have not been able to find any information about them. A Google Image search with a photo from yesterday, and I now know a lot more than before.

12 Likes

…thanks Peter, great to work you on 2m. All good fun ay!

cheers: Geoff vk3sq (vk3jt & vk2bd)

2 Likes

Thanks for the report, Peter. I still have most of the Yarra Ranges summits to get to this year and am interested in any access problems. I’ve been blocked by fallen trees on the same route to Mt Ritchie before, but was lucky as it only added a km to the hike. It’s a great summit, a bit of effort to get to but the reward is a pretty, grassy meadow with lots of space for antennas.

73 David VK3KR

4 Likes

THANK YOU for sharing again a very well written report with so many interesting details and impressive pictures. :clap::flexed_biceps:

3 Likes